Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Anyone else cut it low in the front, but leave it long in the back?
Unfortunately decades ago I was once guilty of this. I will never make that mistake again.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #22
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Anyone else cut it low in the front, but leave it long in the back?
Business in the front, party in the back. Im not sure I like that analogy when used in context to the other responses in this tread.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #23
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
The 2-in-1 fertilizer and weed killer was phenomenal when I used it a few years back. Not sure if we're allowed to use it in Calgary anymore... I'm out anyways but I do recall seeing it in Kelowna a few years back.
Get some from Montana. It's magic.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #24
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can still buy products with 2,4-D in Alberta Home Depot has Killex.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #25
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What do people think here about a service like green drop to fertilize and fight weeds?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #26
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Business in the front, party in the back. Im not sure I like that analogy when used in context to the other responses in this tread.
I held off posting earlier on for that exact reason
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Get some from Montana. It's magic.
Illegal to bring it across the border.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #28
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had to use weed & feed or weed killer in years. Either replant a bare spot or overseed it. Keep your grass thick and weeds won't be much of an issue.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I haven't had to use weed & feed or weed killer in years. Either replant a bare spot or overseed it. Keep your grass thick and weeds won't be much of an issue.
Tell me more about over seeding

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #30
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

i get my yard aerated in the fall. once that's done just load up a bunch of seed in the fertilizer spreader and have at it. once the seed is down water a bunch - it helps get the seed in the aeration holes and helps break down all the 'pellets' pulled up during aeration.

this method was recommended to me by the guys at 'weedman'. it seems to work. yard usually looks pretty good until kelowna gets to the scorching hot part of summer and we have watering restrictions.

Quote:
Lawn overseeding
Give your lawn thicker growth, better color, and greater resistance to disease and drought!

What is overseeding?

Overseeding is the planting of grass seed directly into existing turf, without tearing up the turf, or the soil. It’s an easy way to fill in bare spots, improve the density of turf, establish improved grass varieties and enhance your lawn’s color.
If a lawn looks old, or just “worn out,” if it needs growing amounts of water and fertilizer to thrive, or is disease or insect prone, it’s a perfect candidate for overseeding.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #31
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

oops... "edit post" is not working and i forgot one thing.... ha!

Spoiler!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #32
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i get my yard aerated in the fall. once that's done just load up a bunch of seed in the fertilizer spreader and have at it. once the seed is down water a bunch - it helps get the seed in the aeration holes and helps break down all the 'pellets' pulled up during aeration.

this method was recommended to me by the guys at 'weedman'. it seems to work. yard usually looks pretty good until kelowna gets to the scorching hot part of summer and we have watering restrictions.
I’m always worried overseeding without loam to cover it will cause the rain to wash the seeds away. Then again i hate the idea of putting loam all over the lawn and potentially choking out the good grass.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #33
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had success mixing seed with peat moss. I would hand sprinkle some peat moss over top where I through seed. I don't use a lot of peat moss and it doesn't block out the grass. Then I water immediately.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #34
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

every couple of years, even if the our grass is looking decent, in the spring we will overseed a lot of it with something decent, not the cheap homebuilder fescue crap that goes brown and dormant after 3-4 consecutive days of +25'ish. Anyways, over top of the seed we'll put down about 10-20 x 25liter bags of soil and spread it about evenly with a rake, then either water daily or hope it rains a lot. The soils compacts down quickly and gives enough for the new seeds to sprout, plus provides new soil for the existing grass (which pokes through and never has an issue). After a couple of weeks it's all looking good and after a month super green and much softer on the feet. Sometimes the dirt (cos we buy cheap stuff) has a few chunks or little bits of wood but our lawnmover mulches it well enough otherwise we pick off the chunks. All good, works well, never had a problem in 15 yrs of this.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #35
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I’m always worried overseeding without loam to cover it will cause the rain to wash the seeds away. Then again i hate the idea of putting loam all over the lawn and potentially choking out the good grass.
“Good” grass can tolerate 1/4-1/2” of top dressing. Grass plants don’t last forever and we don’t allow them to reach the stage where they reseed themselves so overseeding is critical to keeping your lawn going. A single seed produces many blades of grass so even if some of it washes away, the ones that stick around benedfit your lawn. Plus seed is cheap.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote