Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2021, 12:33 AM   #1061
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

19 minutes of ice time for Sam tonight. Wonder if that is a career high. Good job Florida trying things outside of the box that the Flames never did.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:18 AM   #1062
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might just be that Sam is getting an opportunity now, and is just rolling with it. Might continue, or it might fade, but he is just rolling with it.

I will always hate Gulutzan because I always felt that Tkachuk-Bennett-X should have been tried that year, and the "X" should not have been Brouwer, but it should have been Versteeg. Brouwer should have been a staple on the 4th line, or playing with Backlund (who is still criminally underrated on the Flames for elevating practically everyone he plays with).

Tkachuk and Bennett should have grown up together on the Flames and developed chemistry. They were both hard to handle and difficult to play against. Might have been something there. Versteeg could have done the mentoring just like Gaudreau-Monahan had from Hudler. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, but the whole "Win now" approach blew this team up. The 3M line became a thing instead. It was a good thing, mind you, but this team was not ready to compete.

My second point is that this team seems to get rid of all the top playoff performers, like it somehow doesn't want to win in the playoffs. Off the top of my head, the best playoff players since the rebuild have been Ferland, Brodie and Bennett. Brodie just because he just always seemed to be the best defencemen in the playoffs, and the only one capable of defending against MacKinnon. Ferland because he elevated his game to somewhere none of us really saw coming, and Bennett has continually elevated his game, even playing with an injured arm.

Who else has really excelled in the playoffs? Gaudreau and Monahan were ok, IIRC, in their first playoffs at 5on5. None of them have been very good 5on5 since. Versteeg impressed that year, but he was winding his career down. I guess Lucic elevated his game in the playoffs last season (outside of one big mistake, which in fairness can happen).

Guys like Bennett are valuable because they elevate their game in the playoffs. They give the rest of the team a tonne of energy. This is not a post meaning to criticize the Ferland trade, or walking away from Brodie, or the Bennett trade, and I am not trying to rehash past moves, but just observing how all the strong performers on this team in the playoffs get picked-off.

Want a winning team? Get some players that elevate their game in the playoffs. Now before we compare Monahan's numbers with Bennett's, please post the 5on5 points as well as the TOI. Yes, they had equalled their point production (with Bennett scoring 3 more goals), but Monahan had a boatload more opportunity and minutes to do so, as well as better line-mates.

The only point that I am trying to make here is that this team needs to start prioritizing the accumulation of players that actually move the needle in the playoffs. Guys who exceed expectations given their TOI and opportunity. It seems to really help in actually winning, no?

I don't know how Bennett is going to end up. Maybe he ends up a PPG for the rest of his career. Good for him, and I will be happy for him. Doesn't make the Flames 'lose' on anything in the future, IMO, other than maybe some people should listen to Conroy a bit more (who said that Bennett deserved to get more of an opportunity here). How well or how poorly he does from now on has no bearing on the success of the Flames (other than when the teams end up playing one another again).

I just hope that the Flames realize how bad coaching can cripple players, how a lack of attention on player development can cripple players, and how important it is to really look at your team and do what's best for it. Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg was what was best for this organization back then. I love Backlund, but by this time he had elevated Colborne and Bouma into scorers, and would have done well with Frolik and almost anyone on his left side that year.

Well, I am going to keep cheering on Bennett, and hope he has a hell of a career. I am also going to cheer for the Flames, and I hope that they have a heck of a finish into the playoffs this year, or win the lottery for a change. I am going to hope that they have one heck of an off-season and manage to address whatever rot this team has.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #1063
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good on Sam Bennett for getting opportunity and playing cleanup with a couple of talented players. Still the same player, just working with a couple of guys who generate a lot of home plate opportunities that Bennett is cleaning up. Huberdeau and Duclair are one a roll right now and Bennett is benefitting. Things like this are easy when a team is on a roll. Can the Panthers keep this up? The thing that stands out to me is the style of play Coach Q has them playing more than anything else. Wish the Flames played that style. They might still be in this thing.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #1064
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Athletic has a great write up on Hieneman, definitely has me excited for his potential. The article is long, with video and good detail, here’s a summary below:

Quote:
All told, Heineman plays a conscientious, net-focused game that blends shooting and puck protection with effort and a developing heaviness.

He’s not so gifted that he projects as a clear-cut top-six prospect, but there is enough there that he might someday become a complementary middle-six scorer who provides good value for Bennett, especially when you consider the Flames also have a chance to go out and try to find another second-rounder just like him with the other piece of the deal.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #1065
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Good on Sam Bennett for getting opportunity and playing cleanup with a couple of talented players. Still the same player, just working with a couple of guys who generate a lot of home plate opportunities that Bennett is cleaning up. Huberdeau and Duclair are one a roll right now and Bennett is benefitting. Things like this are easy when a team is on a roll. Can the Panthers keep this up? The thing that stands out to me is the style of play Coach Q has them playing more than anything else. Wish the Flames played that style. They might still be in this thing.
Huberdeau and Duclair have played together for quite a bit, did you ever think that maybe it was Bennett that really got them to kick into second gear? I know, I know, Huberdeau is fantastic. But, Bennett has really turned that line into a 2nd line matchup nightmare.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #1066
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1195861423802462209

Florida has some high skill players, guys like Huberdeau make everyone on their line better. Maybe Bennett is their Mark Donk or Buzz Flibbet.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #1067
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sam Bennett has as many 5v5 points (11) in his last 9 games as:

- Monahan in his last 34 games.
- Tkachuk in his last 34 games.
- Gaudreau in his last 36 games.

In fact, Bennett has more 5v5 points (17) total this season than all 3 of them.

Lmao.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #1068
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shhhhh. ECHL or Sweden by the end of next week...
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #1069
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was right on Bennett all along, I said he would get at least 2 seconds or a first and that he would be a second line centre.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #1070
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flames trade Sam Bennett + 6th to FLA for a 2nd and Emil Heineman (2020 43rd OA pick)

Bennett with a couple more goals I see. Impressive chemistry his line has built. Huberdeau is probably the central piece to the line and draws most of the attention, but Duclair has some impressive puck skills and dynamic aspects to his game. Bennett probably works out perfectly for these 2 because he can play with the jam that the other 2 might shy away from. Getting nasty along boards and in the corners, cleaning up in the front of the net. Good for him.

Still early and their pace is unlikely to sustain indefinitely, but it’ll be interesting to see how he and his line work out in the playoffs where he plays with more edge. Their rush chances will probably decline, so I wonder if they’ll produce the same amount on the cycle.

Regardless, I’m still not upset with the return. Treliving did good work getting essentially getting 2 seconds as Sam was never going to work out here. This team doesn’t have enough dynamic players on one line where they can turn something into nothing, putting Bennett in very high opportunistic situations.

Just looking at the 3 goals Bennett has scored for Florida so far, Huberdeau and Duclair make a lot of nice plays/passes off the rush and with Sam skating hard to the net, he’s found himself alone in front of the net quite a few times. What line on the Flames could replicate what Florida is doing? Gaudreau-Bennett-Tkachuk maybe? Don’t think Tkachuk has the same wheels Duclair does though and Gaudreau definitely doesn’t have Huberdeau’s size and with that line, you’d be moving Lindholm, Monahan and Backlund down another slot unless you move another one to wing. So yeah, it was never happening for Sam Bennett here.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #1071
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam’s doing very well early on with Florida, which I expected in the beginning especially. It happens a lot, and one hopes he can keep it up. I don’t think there’s a lot you can take from it yet. For whatever reason it wasn’t working here, and it really doesn’t matter why at this point. Plus there was RFA coming up as well as expansion draft issues. The Flames did well on the return. Win win IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #1072
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Might just be that Sam is getting an opportunity now, and is just rolling with it. Might continue, or it might fade, but he is just rolling with it.

I will always hate Gulutzan because I always felt that Tkachuk-Bennett-X should have been tried that year, and the "X" should not have been Brouwer, but it should have been Versteeg. Brouwer should have been a staple on the 4th line, or playing with Backlund (who is still criminally underrated on the Flames for elevating practically everyone he plays with).

Tkachuk and Bennett should have grown up together on the Flames and developed chemistry. They were both hard to handle and difficult to play against. Might have been something there. Versteeg could have done the mentoring just like Gaudreau-Monahan had from Hudler. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, but the whole "Win now" approach blew this team up. The 3M line became a thing instead. It was a good thing, mind you, but this team was not ready to compete...
I always wanted to see Tkachuk-Bennett-Dube

Bennett and Dube had chemistry and I think Tkachuk could provide another physical element, in some ways, to the line like Lucic did.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #1073
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q's going to turn him into Toews but better isn't he?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #1074
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time will tell. We saw Bennett get a boost when the playoffs would start. We saw him come in at 18 and look stellar. He always seems to fall into complacency. Right now he is getting a boost from going to a new team, but we will have to see if it becomes the norm or if he falls back into old habits.

Either way, he had to go. He can't drive a line on his own and we don't have the top end talent to cover his warts.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #1075
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Bennett had a good shot he'd score like crazy with Huberdeau and to lesser extent Duclair. He could've had 4 goals if not more last game. Too bad his finishing ability is pretty average.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #1076
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I was right on Bennett all along, I said he would get at least 2 seconds or a first and that he would be a second line centre.
3 games is a little early for I told you so's
Old 04-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #1077
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Q's going to turn him into Toews but better isn't he?
I'd say more Brandon Saad to be honest.

A talented player that when used in the right situations with talented linemates can be an effective player for you.

Not a guy that's going to drive his own line, or be elite on his own. But a guy who can be a strong complimentary piece on the right line.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #1078
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Columbus looks bad. Florida looks pretty good too. Nice little play by Duclair on that last goal.
Come on. The guy is playing with renewed confidence. We all get what that’s like. Keep on saying it’s bad D. Whatever you do...don’t face up to the fact that Sam might not have been a bust. Just needed better coaching, development and chemistry.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #1079
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
19 minutes of ice time for Sam tonight. Wonder if that is a career high. Good job Florida trying things outside of the box that the Flames never did.
By a quick glance at game logs it appears Sam Bennett played 19 minutes or more in just five of his 432 games as a Calgary Flame. He had 6 points in those five games.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #1080
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Come on. The guy is playing with renewed confidence. We all get what that’s like. Keep on saying it’s bad D. Whatever you do...don’t face up to the fact that Sam might not have been a bust. Just needed better coaching, development and chemistry.
Why did you quote my post with this?

Is the guy a bust? Considering where this franchise drafted him, yes. But I didn't even say that in my prior comments.

It was a good trade for the Flames. And probably a good trade for Sam and Florida. I hope he does well there, he obviously needed a change of scenery.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote