Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #1121
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post

Does it matter where I cut?
Personally, I would take more than one cutting, probably three. The top portion is the nicest of course, but any cutting down further will produce a new plant as well. Then you have a bushier plant rather than one tall spindly one.

Once the cuttings have taken, plant them all in one larger pot.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #1122
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations on electric mowers? I've been using a reel push mower for the past few years and it's time to go a step up. I don't have a large lawn, so I don't see the need/maintenance for a gas mower.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #1123
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations on electric mowers? I've been using a reel push mower for the past few years and it's time to go a step up. I don't have a large lawn, so I don't see the need/maintenance for a gas mower.
I bought the Ryobi 40v mower to replace my reel mower. Has enough juice to do my average sized city lot a couple of times on a charge. Light, maneuverable, bags up the clippings. Does the job just fine.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #1124
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I bought the Ryobi 40v mower to replace my reel mower. Has enough juice to do my average sized city lot a couple of times on a charge. Light, maneuverable, bags up the clippings. Does the job just fine.
I've had this one for a few years too. Love it. Way more powerful than my old gasser. You can actually hear it speed up over thicker/longer sections where the gas one would bog down. Would never get a gas lawn mower again.

Bonus is it's way easier and less intimidating for teenage girls so I don't have to mow much anymore.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #1125
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
By electric do you mean cord or battery? If you mean cord, with a smaller size lawn skip it, get battery.

I have a koblat 22", over sized for me.

Make sure whatever model you get comes with 2 battery's, or you factor a backup battery cost. When its not quite charged up having the back-up fully charged is important, or if you pull a lazy me and cut high wet grass very stupidity and it uses all the juice as this is a little much to ask, having the back up is important.

Biggest concern is battery life. Bought mine in 2017, leave a 2/3 charge each winter, bring inside in the winter away from cold, still work good.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #1126
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Make sure whatever model you get comes with 2 battery's, or you factor a backup battery cost.
Some of the single battery mowers are crazy high capacity, and you can get multiple mows of of one battery.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #1127
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thank you for in the input everyone. Went with the Ryobi and it already cuts like a dream. So much easier than reel mowing.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #1128
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Question for people far more experienced with this than me.

Moved into a new house last fall, we have some praire grass in planter boxes in the front porch. We trimmed it down this spring because the internet said that was the thing to do.

It doesn't seem to be growing back yet (maybe too early / not warm enough) but more concerning is that it seems to have been completely invaded by quack grass. Short of digging up and replanting the whole thing, how do I fix this? Or am I dumb and what looks like quack grass is actually this year's growth of praire grass coming in? Please help lol.

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-29-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #1129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to say without pictures. If you do have a little bit of quack grass, I recommend Wilson Total Wipeout Ultra. If you can't spray it cleanly, don't. Use a Qtip or foam brush and paint the blades with it. I call this the "kill all the things" spray, because that's what it does. Don't get any on stuff you don't want dead. It takes a few days, and may take a few treatments.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #1130
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wondering if anyone can help with a Norwegian Spruce...

The tree seems fairly healthy in that its's growing but the tips of the branches will get new growth and split off into a number of little branches and then they seem to start losing needles and they collect into a mass somewhere near the branching. Not sure if the are all getting stuck in sap or what. Doesn't seem to have any obvious bugs but this is the first spruce I've ever had soI dont know what I am looking for. Normal, not normal, call an arborist, anyone recommend an arborist?

Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:43 PM   #1131
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

The tree seems fairly healthy in that its's growing but the tips of the branches will get new growth and split off into a number of little branches and then they seem to start losing needles and they collect into a mass somewhere near the branching. Not sure if the are all getting stuck in sap or what. Doesn't seem to have any obvious bugs but this is the first spruce I've ever had soI dont know what I am looking for. Normal, not normal, call an arborist, anyone recommend an arborist?

perhaps spider mite?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #1132
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know plumbers who might have a supply of old PEX 3/4" I'd like to make some garden row covers, and salvaging free stuff would be ideal.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #1133
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

It can rain/snow now that I’ve fertilized, raked, mulched, mowed the lawn.
My 3 yr old Ryobi electric mulch mower keeps impressing me. Didn’t want it at first but then the wife went and mowed our old electric cord and refused to attempt mows any more. Not that it mattered... cos apparently it’s a “blue job” now. Ha ha.
Found a few vermin tracks in the yard from their winter munching. Gotta oversees and throw down some topsoil now.
So last fall I cut back a bunch of dead and dying junipers. The grass under where they were is dead and doesn’t seem to want to grow back. What’s the easiest way to get the grass to grow back there? It’s in the front yard so now a bit of an eyesore until it fills in.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #1134
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was power raking the other day as the property stars kid was in the neighborhood aerating. Now, I've done the rental thing before, and it's expensive and miserable. So I let the kid have at it. I'm not sure if $60 was a good price for front and back yard, but it was worth not doing it myself.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #1135
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

Graphic Tree Service. They just completed some work on our shrubs. Seem knowledgeable and very fair pricing.
JBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #1136
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking for a suggestion on a plant for my front yard. Right now we have this one plant in the middle of our yard and I am thinking of replacing it with something that might add more color. I can't tell you what kind of plant it is but it has long, thin, semi-rigid leaves and it is about 12 to 18 inches across and about the same in height. It flowers for about a week or two which is why I am thinking about replacing it with something that might be more colorful. What are your suggestions?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #1137
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A picture is worth 99 words...Sounds a bit like a siberian iris.

Is the area full sun all day? Do you want a plant or a bush/shrub? Tree?

Old 05-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #1138
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A picture is worth 99 words...Sounds a bit like a siberian iris.

Is the area full sun all day? Do you want a plant or a bush/shrub? Tree?

That is pretty close to what I am looking to replace. I think mine has slightly broader leaves and the leaves fold over about half way up opening up the plant. I want to plant something similar in terms of size but something that is more colorful as we really don't have much for landscaping in our front yard. The yard needs a full makeover but that will probably be in two years. It is full sun.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #1139
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably a day lily then. The thing with most flowers is they all bloom at different times, so you are better to plant a variety if you want colour. Day lily's can handle aggressive splitting, so you could remove most of it, then plant some tulip bulbs for ealry season, and find some late season lower height stuff to plant around it. My wife is more the expert on this stuff than me.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #1140
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is there such thing as a tree removal company that will remove a tree whole and then donate it or what not? We have a tree we want removed, but I hate the idea of it just getting mulched. My google search has turned up nothing but doesn't hurt to ask. It's pine tree of sorts, not sure of exact species. Probably 40 feet tall.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies