Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #121
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

^^I'm just kidding around. But the pick I am referring to, I am banking that it won't be picked and I just really wanted AD. If it gets picked, it does.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #122
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish I had gotten in on the Movie draft, I would have had fun picking my favourite movies. But oh well, picking my favourite TV shows will be fun too. A couple that I would have liked had already been taken before I was able to make my first pick...I'm sure with 22 of us drafting we're bound to have some similar tastes in TV.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #123
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never seen Arrested Development, and that's crazy because my wife loves Jason Bateman more than she loves me. Will be watching it sometime on DVD for sure.

Band of Brothers...embarrassed that I haven't watched this yet.

WKRP...genius. Phone Cops was my favorite episode I think.

Hate Friends. Hate it. I think there are half a dozen shows since it's finale that are better. I may be the only one. I also don't like a show I can't believe hasn't been picked yet given it's popularity here, so I may have strange tastes.

CSI...the Vegas show works. The other two are goofy but entertaining. Nice pick.

SNL....30 years. Billions of dollars in movies have been spawned from it. Some of my all time favortie comedic moments are from SNL. I would, some day, like to own all the seasons on DVD even though some of them are very bad.

Great stuff all!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #124
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
There are no winners or you're all winners. There will be no voting.
HD won the hottie draft and won't let any other drafts be judged
No voting? What's the point?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #125
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
No voting? What's the point?
Just for fun.

You know there's a curse that whoever says this always finishes last if there is voting at the end (which there may still be).

Problem is there are usually no judges at the end.
There were none for the music draft.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #126
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well then, I am going to judge all of it myself and so far, I think I am doing pretty awesome.

Everyone else needs to pick it up.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #127
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Hate Friends. Hate it. I think there are half a dozen shows since it's finale that are better. I may be the only one. I also don't like a show I can't believe hasn't been picked yet given it's popularity here, so I may have strange tastes.
I think I know what show youre talking about, and I was going to wait but now that Ive realized it's not a snake draft I think it might be gone before my next pick. But what I actually said was that there hasn't been a sitcom better (and by better i mean more well-recieved and popular) since Seinfeld, Friends, and one other sitcom will remain nameless as it hasn't been picked yet. The sitcom phase I think is over and we're now more into the dramas. Friends certainly isn't my favorite show, but I like to watch it when its on. I just thought it had to be picked. 10 years is a damn good run.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #128
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mind Friends at all. It was a fun diversion at times. It's simply entertainment that you don't have to think about too much. It wasn't challenging but not all shows have to be.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #129
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

getbak is picking!
</stalker>
Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #130
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the draft sure picked up steam today. I didn't think I'd be picking for another day or two. I was hoping Arrested Development would still be available, but since it's not, I'm going to fill one of the categories in which I don't think I could name 22 eligible shows...Hell, I'd be hard pressed to name 3 that I can even stand...

"5 Continents...10 Countries...And More than 59 Thousand Miles!"

With the 20th overall pick, in the Reality (Elimination) category, team Frozen TV Dinner selects The Amazing Race.

Hosted by New Zealand native, Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race is currently airing its 13th race around the world between teams of 2 (and one time, horribly, teams of 4) players with some sort of pre-existing relationship.

So far, the Emmys have presented the award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program" six times. Each time, it has been won by the Amazing Race.

Unlike most other "Reality" shows, there are no judges and there is no voting for a winner. The rules are simple: follow the clues, perform the tasks, and if your team is the last to arrive at the end of a leg, pray it's a non-elimination leg, otherwise you will be eliminated from the race.

When all is said and done, one team will cross the Finish Line first and win $1 million.

There are teams you love and teams you hate...and there is Lena and Kristy from season 6 (who had the most heart-breaking elimination ever)...

Here's the intro from season 1:

Last edited by getbak; 11-03-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #131
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Damn that is my favorite reality (elimination) show. I would do ANYTHING to be on this show.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #132
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
HD won the hottie draft and won't let any other drafts be judged
I am the Über Winner, once I established my dominance all of CP decided not to judge these anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
had to go with my personal favourite as I will likely do throughout this draft.
Me too, although M*A*S*H is prob on most TV lists as #1, it is one of my all-time favorite shows. I can't count how many times I've watched reruns. Having the first 4 seasons on DVD help too. I'm sure I will have shows that some people won't agree with, just favs of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
With the 20th overall pick, in the Reality (Elimination) category, team Frozen TV Dinner selects The Amazing Race.
Great pick for the category, best reality show IMO.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #133
Prototype

Exp:

In the COMEDY (Sitcom) category, Team "57 Channels, Nothing On" (temp name) selects, THE COSBY SHOW.

Openings (except the tuxedo)

Bloopers

The Final Moments

It doesn't get any more iconic that that...
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #134
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Both awesome picks, getbak & Proto...I used to watch the Amazing Race religiously, but have lost interest since Boston Rob and Amber were a team (however many seasons ago that was!). And as for the Cosby Show...can't say enough good things about that show, definately one of my all time favourites.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #135
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

In the comedy sitcom category The Couch Potatoes selects "Married With Children"

Peg and Al have been together, for better or worse, for more than two decades. How they survive their relationship is the basis for "Married...With Children." The sitcom represents a distinct departure from the saccharine-sweet television families viewers have known since the days of "Father Knows Best." With unflinching honesty, "Married... With Children" paints a painfully funny picture of a not-so-typical middle-class American family.

Married with Children opening

Best of Bundy part 1

Married With Children - Favorite Scenes

Last edited by Dion; 11-04-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #136
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Draft Board is up now.

http://geocities.com/cp_tv_draft/ (it's also linked on the first page)

Those of you without team names need team names

I'm not thrilled with Team MissTeeks and Team Barnes either.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #137
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I thought about taking my "other" favorite fracking Sci Fi show but since I got it's cinematic counterpart in the Movie draft (Serenity), with my 2nd round selection team Jumped the Shark is pleased to select in the Fantasy Sci-Fi category:

Firefly

Firefly is an science fiction television series created by writer/director Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, under his Mutant Enemy Productions. Its naturalistic future setting, modeled after traditional Western movie motifs, presents an atypical backdrop for the science fiction narrative. Whedon served as executive producer, along with Tim Minear.

Firefly premiered in the United States and Canada on the FOX network on September 20, 2002. It was canceled after only eleven of the fourteen produced episodes were aired. Despite the series' relatively short life span, it received strong sales when it was released on DVD and has large fan support campaigns. It won an Emmy in 2003 for "Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series". The post-airing success of the show led Whedon and Universal Pictures to produce a film based on the series, titled Serenity after the fictional spaceship featured in the show.

The series is set in the year 2517, after humans have arrived at a new star system, and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things".

The show explores the lives of people who fought on the losing side of a civil war and now make a living on the outskirts of the society, as well as the pioneer culture that exists on the fringes of their star system. In addition, it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures as well. According to Whedon's vision, "nothing will change in the future: technology will advance, but we will still have the same political, moral, and ethical problems as today."

Trailer

Gag Reel

Last edited by HalifaxDrunk; 11-04-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #138
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
I thought about taking my "other" favorite fracking Sci Fi show but since I got it's cinematic counterpart in the Movie draft (Serenity), with my 2nd round selection team Jumped the Shark is pleased to select in the Fantasy Sci-Fi category:

Firefly
Great show. Another series that deserved a better fate than it received.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #139
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Space, The Final Frontier"

Team Where's the Remote? are pleased to keep the sci-fi theme going and choose the other fracking Sci-Fi show that Drunk was perhaps talking about. WTR are proud and delighted to be able to take in the 2nd round the one, the only,

Star Trek

I was going to take another sci-fi show in this spot but I really had to take this strong player at this position.

Wiki:
Star Trek is an American science fiction entertainment series and media franchise. The Star Trek fictional universe created by Gene Roddenberry is the setting of six television series including the original 1966 Star Trek, in addition to ten feature films (with an eleventh in post-production to be released on May 8, 2009). Dozens of computer and video games, hundreds of novels and fan stories, several fan-created video productions, as well as a themed attraction in Las Vegas. The original TV series alone has created a cult phenomenon and has spawned many pop culture references.[1]

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060028/

Youtube:

Last edited by Jagger; 11-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #140
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp: