Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #181
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadora View Post
when did the 15 hours begin? I checked before going to bed and my name wasn't up.
The previous pick was made at 10:12pm.

Just giving you a hard time. Nothing personal, just wanting to keep the pool moving.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #182
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Another one from my list.....

Nice one Sadora!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #183
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
The previous pick was made at 10:12pm.

Just giving you a hard time. Nothing personal, just wanting to keep the pool moving.
Oh I know, so don't worry. I just don't remember seeing my name up, but I guess I was all caught up with the election news.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #184
FallingMeTook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just a hint for anyone interested, pretty much the entire series of Gargoyles is up on Youtube, just search Gargoyle episode 1.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #185
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

For our 2nd round pick, we're going to go off the board a bit here to select, in the category of Miniseries (with the option to flip to Educational at a later date)... Carl Sagan's epic celebration of history, space, science, thought, art, life... a magnificent depiction of all that is worth celebrating in humanity, a view that is all the more commendable when viewed in its historical context, when pessimism and fear were so easy to fall back on... 1980's Cosmos!

A brilliant series that does a masterful job of positioning Earth and humanity within the awesome, expansive context of the cosmos. Sagan's greatest achievement was always his ability to transgress the pettiness of the moment - in the one episode that addresses the contemporary fears of nuclear annihilation implicit within the Cold War context, he does so in positive terms, choosing to present a celebration of all humanity and all we have achieved, all we are capable of, which would be thrown away in such circumstances.

His ability to articulate complex scientific concepts in accessible terms is another aspect of Sagan's enduring legacy, and Cosmos stands up to this day as one of the greatest documentary television events ever produced.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #186
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

With our second selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are pleased to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a drama that not only inspired us, but also gave us a glimpse into life inside the White House from 1999 until 2006. Staring Allison Janey, John Spender, Bradley Whitford, Janel Moloney, Richard Schiff, Dule Hill, Nicole Robinson, Melissa Fitzgerald, Rob Lowe, Joshua Malina, and Martin Sheen as the President of the United States of America. Winning 2 Golden Globes, and 26 Emmy awards (tied for most ever by a television drama). Filling our the Drama* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from the National Broadcasting Company, The West Wing.

*line-up slot subject to change.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 11-05-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #187
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just a statement of disbelief and is not meant to be critical of anyone so pleeeeeeeease don't take it that way people.

I can't believe that Gargoyles got multiple comments and nobody said anything about SCTV? I thought that would be on almost everyone's list!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #188
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
This is just a statement of disbelief and is not meant to be critical of anyone so pleeeeeeeease don't take it that way people.

I can't believe that Gargoyles got multiple comments and nobody said anything about SCTV? I thought that would be on almost everyone's list!
Cause SCTV was expected I think.
Half the people in the draft had never seen Gargoyles! (myself included)

Come on, troublemaker (FanIn80), it's your turn, speed it up

Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #189
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Come on, troublemaker (FanIn80), it's your turn, speed it up
Mmmrawr
Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #190
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Ahem... With our second pick in this year's TV Draft, The Upper Trash are proud to select... in the Canadian category...

Hockey Night in Canada!

Quote:
Hockey Night in Canada (often abbreviated Hockey Night or HNIC) is a television broadcast of National Hockey League games in Canada, produced by CBC Sports. Hockey Night consistently remains one of the highest-rated programs on Canadian television. It is also the world's oldest sports-related television program still on the air. The intermission highlight on HNIC is Coach's Corner, a segment featuring Don Cherry and Ron MacLean.
Quote:
Hockey Night in Canada began airing on Saturday nights on CBC Television in 1952, retaining Imperial Oil as sponsor. It continued to feature regular season NHL games on the English network every Saturday evening during the NHL season, and retained many of the features such as the Hot Stove Lounge and the three stars selection, which originated as an Imperial Oil gasoline promotion and survived even as sponsorship eventually passed from Imperial to Molson and, later, Labatt.

Until the 1990s, there was only one game televised each Saturday night in any particular locality and up to 1968, regular season games were still not broadcast in their entirety. In the early 1960s, the broadcast time was moved to 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time, which allowed the game to be joined in progress during the first period. Starting in the fall of 1968, regular-season games were shown in their entirety. In 1970–71, the Vancouver Canucks joined the NHL, meaning that there were now three possible venues for an HNIC telecast. Four more Canadian-based teams joined the fold in 1979–80 and 1980–81, further increasing coverage. It should be noted, however, that the Quebec Nordiques were initially never shown at home on HNIC, as their owners, Carling O'Keefe Breweries, forbade Molson from televising games in their building. This was partly in response to efforts by the Montreal Canadiens, who were owned by Molson, to keep Quebec out of the league. After the 1989 merger between Molson and Carling O'Keefe, and the subsequent sale of the Nordiques, HNIC was now free to show games from Quebec City. Still, they rarely did, as the Nordiques English-speaking fan base was very small. They appeared more frequently on La Soiree du Hockey.

After Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in 1988, the network began showing occasional double-headers when Canadian teams visited Los Angeles, in order to give the game's greatest star network exposure in Canada. These games were often joined in progress, as the regular start time for HNIC was still 8:00 Eastern Time and the Kings home games began at 7:30 Pacific Time (10:30 Eastern). Beginning in the 1995 season, weekly double-headers became the norm, with games starting at 7:30 Eastern and 7:30 Pacific. In 1998, the start times were moved thirty minutes earlier.

Instant replay made its debut on a 1955 HNIC broadcast. CBC director George Retzlaff made a kinescope recording of a goal, and replayed it to the television audience seconds later.

Beginning with the 1966-67 NHL season, all games broadcast on HNIC were in colour.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #191
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done.

I considered taking that as my Canadian pick, but SCTV won out. Besides, I think it's kind of wrong for an American to take HNIC. I love it from afar, but it's not my show. SCTV, however, I have no guilt about!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #192
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post

It was on my list. I figured i was going to get it in a later round. Hoping that many didn't know of this show

Good pick btw!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #193
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Ahem... With our second pick in this year's TV Draft, The Upper Trash are proud to select... in the Canadian category...

Hockey Night in Canada!
Hmm, never heard of it, it sounds pretty good I'll have to check it out. Is it still on TV or do you know where I can find it on DVD?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #194
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Frick, Hockey Night in Canada never even crossed my mind. Funny how I missed out on that one. Just never came to mind as a show. Damn!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #195
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Frick, Hockey Night in Canada never even crossed my mind. Funny how I missed out on that one. Just never came to mind as a show. Damn!!!
thought of it after I clicked "send" on the West Wing, thought it might drop to round 3

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #196
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
Hmm, never heard of it, it sounds pretty good I'll have to check it out. Is it still on TV or do you know where I can find it on DVD?
I find it's a really hit-or-miss show.

Every week they have a 6 hour episode, the first half is usually just horrible, the characters are terrible it really makes you wonder how they got cast in their roles. Then, the second half of the episode is great about 1 third of the time, and completely unbearable the other 2 thirds.

For about the first 6 months of the tv season, they're really focused on establishing the storylines and setting up the scenarios. Then, things really pick up. They usually have one episode per night, and sometimes two for two months straight. Thankfully, in recent seasons, the horrible cast members have been killed off early.

The season finale is usually really good. In 2006, they teased us by almost having the worst characters emerge triumphant, but they were vanquished at the last minute. The year before that they didn't have any new episodes but did show some re-runs. The year before that was really bittersweet, as the best characters had a fairy-tale run, but didn't quite live happily ever after.

Their best season by-far was 20 years ago (although the few seasons before that and the one after were unbearable).
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #197
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Hockey Night in Canada!
Well there goes my pick for the Canadian category. Damn you FanIn80. Damn you.

Well done BTW!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #198
Prototype

Exp:

Almost took HNIC over Cosby...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #199
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Mustard Inspectors select with their 2nd round pick, in the animated category:

South Park

A guilty pleasure for sure, but the scathing satire and insightful social commentary is grossly underrated. From Time Magazine:

Quote:
Trey Parker and Matt Stone's Comedy Central cartoon has been America's best source of rapid-fire satire for a decade now, blasting hypocrites left and right and giving the final (and usually, the dirtiest) word on Elian Gonzalez, Terry Schiavo and numerous celebrity flip-outs. But the show's authentic, filthy heart is the four foul-mouthed, truth-telling Colorado boys at its center. Eric Cartman, especially, is a creation for the ages—America's wants and appetites rolled up into one pudgy package. The show's best episodes are not the current-events riffs but the stories about the boys, like "Scott Tenorman Must Die," in which Cartman concocts a Grand Guignol revenge against a tormentor involving cannibalism and a trained pony. Parker and Stone put the "id" in kid, and for that, we respect their authoritah.

Last edited by Ro; 11-07-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #200
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Cleveland Indian Head Test Patterns are proud to select in the category of drama, the AMC hit show, Mad Men.

Set in New York City, Mad Men takes place in the early 1960s at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on New York City's Madison Avenue. The show centers on Don Draper (Jon Hamm), a high-level advertising executive, and the people in his life in and out of the office. It also depicts the changing social mores of 1960s America.