Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #41
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Do you think they're actually eating that stuff? I used to pour my soup down the storm sewer by the playground. Gross sandwiches could be squished through the grates as well.
Yeah, I'd think that's the most-important thing. Pack what your kids will actually eat. If they want the same thing every day, that's fine. It's better than trying to mix it up and having half the food get thrown away.

Of course, if they ask for more variety, give it to them, but again, make sure it's something they'll eat.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Wow. You know when the "tl;dr" is too long to read, you're in for a doozy.
Sorry, I over analyze and explain a lot. I've heard lots of complaints on it and I am working on it. Certain days are better than others.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #43
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Do you think they're actually eating that stuff? I used to pour my soup down the storm sewer by the playground. Gross sandwiches could be squished through the grates as well.
I found a sandwich in our backyard once that my son threw out of his lunch. Not very smart place to throw it on his part. I think it's hilarious now, but I was mad at the time.

Last edited by bigtmac19; 10-16-2018 at 11:34 AM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #44
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I found a sandwich in our backyard once, that my son threw out of his lunch. Not very smart place to throw it on his part. I think it's hilarious now, but I was mad at the time.

I would almost prefer that if they didn’t like something, they would just throw it out at school instead of bringing it home. The most recent time I got food poisoning was because the kids didn’t like a sandwich my wife made. When I got home from work I thought it was something she just put together. Nope. The sandwich was festering in a backpack the whole day, and my wife wasn’t aware that the mayo in the sandwich could go bad. She also has that classic Chinese cast iron stomach that doesn’t seem to ever succumb to any food borne problems.

Anyway, no more mayo in any lunch sandwiches, especially if I am going to be the human garbage disposal if they don’t get eaten.

I am kind of happy the kids have cafeterias at their schools now. It gives us a chance to be lazy once in a while.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #45
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son is actually the chef for a school lunch program company that operates in our area. Each group of schools has a specific day of the week they get the delivery, parents order and pay online for the month or the week, whatever they prefer.

He is the only chef and prepares over 1200 lunches every week day. I've gone with him on the occasional Sunday morning to help him prep for the week, and the lunches are good! Soup, Caesar salad wraps, taco salads, tacos, pizza, hamburgers, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, pancakes, quite a big variety, delivered hot to the school every day.

All the people I know with school age kids love it, as do their kids. I think it's $7 or $8 per meal on average.

Last edited by bigtmac19; 10-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #46
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My son is actually the chef for a school lunch program company that operates in our area. Each group of schools has a specific day of the week they get the delivery, parents order and pay online for the month or the week, whatever they prefer.

He is the only chef and prepares over 1200 lunches every week day. I've gone with him on the occasional Sunday morning to help him prep for the week, and the lunches are good! Soup, Caesar salad wraps, taco salads, tacos, pizza, hamburgers, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, pancakes, quite a big variety, delivered hot to the school every day.

All the people I know with school age kids love it, as do their kids. I think it's $7 or $8 per meal on average.

Edit: the Teachers generally hate it, because it means extra work for them having to pass out lunches to their class once a week.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #47
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Sorry - you are right, wasn't a relevant comment to the thread, my apologies.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #48
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Wow. You know when the "tl;dr" is too long to read, you're in for a doozy.
My eyes glazed over after the first paragraph, I assume the rest was about a grand plan to quickly fatten the children through December so they can sustain themselves on body fat and water fountains through to June.

It’s a monstrous idea, but I’m not about to tell people how to raise their kids.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #49
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My oldest just started school this fall. My wife and I were anxious about making lunches. We just moved out to the burbs and starting packing lunches for ourselves. Actually, most of my life I've lived close enough to work/school to be able to walk home for lunch.

It turned out to be super easy for our daughter. She has four Tupperware containers: one large, one medium, and two small. The large one gets either a sandwich or just meats and cheese, the medium one gets cut up fruit, one small one gets a homemade trail mix, and the other small one gets her favourite, cut up cucumber. We also pack her water bottle she can fill up at school. It's pretty easy, there's no garbage, and reasonably healthy.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #50
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Edit: the Teachers generally hate it, because it means extra work for them having to pass out lunches to their class once a week.
Our daughter's school participates in a similar program, but they get lunches from different restaurants (Freshii, Subway, etc). Because of this, Fridays are the best, because no school lunch!

Also, and I may have missed it if it has been mentioned, but in light of the ban on peanut butter, we have been using "Wow Butter"... I think it's gross, but it passes the muster for the kids.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #51
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Also, and I may have missed it if it has been mentioned, but in light of the ban on peanut butter, we have been using "Wow Butter"... I think it's gross, but it passes the muster for the kids.
Kids don't know what good peanut butter is anyway.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our schools have eased up on the allergy thing. They put the kids with allergies together at a lunch table and let everyone else bring peanut butter if they want. Which strikes me as a perfectly sensible policy.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Our schools have lightened up the allergy thing. They put the kids with allergies together at a table and let everyone else bring peanut butter if they want. Which strikes me as a perfectly sensible policy.
So its like a peanut allergy Concentration Camp? Drop one Peanut and you eliminate the whole lot of them?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #54
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Our schools have eased up on the allergy thing. They put the kids with allergies together at a lunch table and let everyone else bring peanut butter if they want. Which strikes me as a perfectly sensible policy.
Now that is sensible. I wish my kids school would do the same.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #55
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The allergy restrictions doesn't bother us that much. Our kids can get their fill of peanut butter and Nutella or whatever granola bars that are filled with nuts when they get home from school. I don't feel that anybody is really suffering from the absence of peanut butter sandwiches at school.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote