Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #1581
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
He's a decent assistant coach. See if Oilers make same mistake as Calgary and Dallas by eventually promoting him again.
What evidence is there he is even a decent assistant coach?
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #1582
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What evidence is there he is even a decent assistant coach?
What evidence is there that anyone is a decent assistant coach?
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #1583
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
What evidence is there that anyone is a decent assistant coach?
Maybe a rag tag blue line that shuts teams down? An elite powerplay with less than stellar personnel.

I have read a few times that Gulutzan was a great assistant but the only time he made the playoffs as an assistant was the 2015 Canucks who the Flames handles fairly easily in the first round. This was also a series where you would constantly read posts from Canucks fans about how badly our coaches Willie was by Hartley.

Gulutzan is a good enough assistant to get jobs on bad teams but I think overall he is just a bad coach. All that crap about emotional bank account was cringe worthy. I am glad Brad made a change but disappointed he hired Gully in the first place.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #1584
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Maybe a rag tag blue line that shuts teams down? An elite powerplay with less than stellar personnel.

I have read a few times that Gulutzan was a great assistant but the only time he made the playoffs as an assistant was the 2015 Canucks who the Flames handles fairly easily in the first round. This was also a series where you would constantly read posts from Canucks fans about how badly our coaches Willie was by Hartley.

Gulutzan is a good enough assistant to get jobs on bad teams but I think overall he is just a bad coach. All that crap about emotional bank account was cringe worthy. I am glad Brad made a change but disappointed he hired Gully in the first place.
Well that staff also had the future cup winner for the Penguins on it, so the Canucks results may not translate to good or bad for assistants.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #1585
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read Compher out indefinitely with head injury from Bennett hit on Saturday. Concussion.

Looked fine to me when watching game and changed tempo, will have to see hit again.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #1586
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon25 Colorado Avalanche lose J.T. Compher indefinitely:

Quote:
Avalanche lose J.T. Compher to a head injury
Quote:
We don’t know for sure, but this is likely the hit that caused the injury to Compher:
https://www.milehighhockey.com/2018/...initely-injury
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #1587
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Wow . Clean hit and how he didn’t hear Bennett coming ?...

It’s the pain train ......wooo wooooo !!! Toooooot toooooot!

I miss those Terrible Terry Tate videos and just thought of it after seeing that hit.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #1588
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

First time I’ve seen the hit. Again that type of hit needs to be eliminated to help lower the number of concussions. I know people are tired of me beating the drum but it would be hypocritical not to say the sake of a flame hit
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #1589
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
First time I’ve seen the hit. Again that type of hit needs to be eliminated to help lower the number of concussions. I know people are tired of me beating the drum but it would be hypocritical not to say the sake of a flame hit
What do you mean by “this type” of hit? Just interested to hear your take.

Not sure what more Bennett can do on this play. He stays on his feet, tucks his elbow in and initiates contact to the chest. From my eye it looks pretty textbook. I’m really not certain what you would attempt to eliminate from this type of hit outside of eliminating the hit completely.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #1590
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thats a clean hit. The guy just got his bell rung. It's a fast game with Bennett providing a hard forecheck. Just because a guy has his head down and gets clocked in the middle of the chest doesn't make it a dirty hit. If it was so dirty why wasn't there a penalty or suspension on the play?
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #1591
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post

Not sure what more Bennett can do on this play. He stays on his feet, tucks his elbow in and initiates contact to the chest. From my eye it looks pretty textbook. I’m really not certain what you would attempt to eliminate from this type of hit outside of eliminating the hit completely.
Body checking.

Cause if that hit is eliminated from the game...ALL contact has to be.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #1592
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Furthermore, if you're attempting to go shoulder to shoulder, you don't duck down into a crouch in case the other guy goes level and accidentally whips his elbow into your face as a result.

I stand by that hit, for the following reasons.

1.) Elbow is preemptively tucked.

2.) Main brunt of the force, as attested to by the stagger on the follow-through, was lateral towards the chest and not upwards toward the chin.

3.) Right on the boards (Compher was even able to break his fall by flailing a bit), not the dangerous 4 ft off the boards type that produces neck injuries.

4.) Compher was playing the puck and therefore it was a legal target for a check.

5.) No premptive charging or huge strides intended to injure.

6.) No call on the play. No mention of discipline. No prior incidents regarding disciplinary action.

I find it downright silly that this hit of Sam is being dragged into a conversation about 'dangerous hits'. But hey, just my opinion.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #1593
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post

I'll answer this but I also don't want to be one of those posters that beats on the same drum all the time and de-rails thread. So this post will be my last one on it, in this thread anyways. I think, under the current rules of the game, this hit is completely clean. But this for me illustrates how the game needs to evolve as the hit is about more than getting the puck back. That to me is what needs to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Thats a clean hit. The guy just got his bell rung. It's a fast game with Bennett providing a hard forecheck. Just because a guy has his head down and gets clocked in the middle of the chest doesn't make it a dirty hit. If it was so dirty why wasn't there a penalty or suspension on the play?
Under the current rules of the game it is indeed 100% legal.

Again, I won't post further on it in this thread, as there have been many threads on this topic of late and don't want to de-rail this one away from the core topic (Sam).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #1594
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll answer this but I also don't want to be one of those posters that beats on the same drum all the time and de-rails thread. So this post will be my last one on it, in this thread anyways. I think, under the current rules of the game, this hit is completely clean. But this for me illustrates how the game needs to evolve as the hit is about more than getting the puck back. That to me is what needs to change.

Again, I won't post further on it in this thread, as there have been many threads on this topic of late and don't want to de-rail this one away from the core topic (Sam).
I get what you’re saying but if you get rid of that hot you need to get rid of all hitting.

You can’t set an imaginary line on physical contact that a hit that is “too hard” is illegal.

If you get rid of that hit then you just need to get rid of all hitting.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #1595
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the interest of player safety I can see them amending the rules to eliminate hits such as these that are intended to be dramatically heavy (coming in low, springing upwards on contact, close to the boards) with the intention of changing the flow/momentum of the game. Revised rules would be good game management in light of science, ethics, and protection of teams assets.

That said, the education handed down to my generation by Don Cherry still makes me love these hits.

Hopefully Compher heals up fast.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #1596
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a better solution is a bigger ice surface without a change to the hitting rules. I think there would be fewer hits (= fewer traumatic brain injuries) especially as you get to younger leagues with slower non-professionals, but you wouldn't be redefining a hit.

Whoever would wanna fund that throughout North America, though.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #1597
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Maybe a better solution is a bigger ice surface without a change to the hitting rules. I think there would be fewer hits (= fewer traumatic brain injuries) especially as you get to younger leagues with slower non-professionals, but you wouldn't be redefining a hit.

Whoever would wanna fund that throughout North America, though.
All you have to do is not hit people in the head. That solves most of this. You can't make a game as violent as hockey safe.

But you can stop hitting people in the head.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #1598
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Let’s just play the all star game 82 times then.

Oh but since I don’t wanna derail this thread I won’t be responding anymore so don’t bother quoting me.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #1599
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Body checking.

Cause if that hit is eliminated from the game...ALL contact has to be.
Well I think what Jiri is saying is that the player no longer has the puck and Bennett is “finishing his check”. Within the rules but I believe his argument is rules should be changed.

But if the puck is still on his stick, Bennett’s hit is the same. So I don’t really believe it accomplishes anything.

The Avs player did a poor job of defending himself by lowering his shoulders and head which is unfortunate. You could argue that he made himself a defenseless player at that point, and so the attacking player should ease up a la a NFL.

Or you could eliminate any hits besides hip checks I suppose.

I’m not quite where Jiri is on this but I take little joy in seeing guys get blown up. But whereas most people seem to want to talk about the impact on the nhl game, it’s minor hockey where this bothers me more.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #1600
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Let’s just play the all star game 82 times then.

Oh but since I don’t wanna derail this thread I won’t be responding anymore so don’t bother quoting me.
I think it’s respectful to know and be aware when one is derailing a thread and not continue once one has made their point

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 10-16-2018 at 10:49 PM.