Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Contests, Drafts, Trivia and Images
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #141
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
I thought about taking my "other" favorite fracking Sci Fi show but since I got it's cinematic counterpart in the Movie draft (Serenity), with my 2nd round selection team Jumped the Shark is pleased to select in the Fantasy Sci-Fi category:

Firefly
Whoa, I didn't think that would go this quick. It was on my shortlist, too.

Great pick.

And just thinking about Jewel Staite and Christina Hendricks, well....

"I'll be in my bunk"
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #142
Prototype

Exp:

Strong choice with the Trek... while not a big raitings draw, only lasting 3 seasons, it had quite the following. Found this on imdb...

Shortly after the cancellation of the series, the staff of the marketing department of the NBC TV network confronted the network executives and berated them for canceling Star Trek, the most profitable show on the network in terms of demographic profiling of the ratings. They explained that although the show was never higher than #52 in the general ratings, its audience profile had the largest concentration of viewers of ages 16 to 39, the most sought after television audience for advertisers to reach. In other words, the show, despite the low ratings, had the precise audience advertisers hungered for, which was more than ample justification to consider the show a big success.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #143
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The Draft Board is up now.

http://geocities.com/cp_tv_draft/ (it's also linked on the first page)

Those of you without team names need team names

I'm not thrilled with Team MissTeeks and Team Barnes either.
Due to League head office complaints, Team Barnes has decided to re brand it's team's image and re name the team The Cleveland Indian Head Test Patterns.

This name reflects the respect this franchise holds for the history of television and its importance to our culture. It also embodies the spirit and tenacity of North American Native Peoples in a kitschy, almost racist way.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #144
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

^^ woohoo!

I've always liked the Indian test pattern.

But the Cleveland Indians? That's a terrible logo!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #145
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

/bump

2nd round should not equal 2nd page!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #146
WindomURL
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just wondering. It's election day in the US. Is that why DFF isn't online today? He is usually around at all hours, whenever I've seen him posting.

EDIT: nevermind. We might see him after 5 or 6pm on weekdays.

Last edited by WindomURL; 11-04-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #147
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindomURL View Post
Just wondering. It's election day in the US. Is that why DFF isn't online today? He is usually around at all hours, whenever I've seen him posting.
Probably still in line at the polling place.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #148
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
In the Pre-1980 category, team "Watching Through the Static" picks WKRP in Cincinatti

This show only ran 4 seasons, and was a victim of being bounced around the schedule. But once in syndication it really found its legs and from the Phone Cops, to, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." this series only gets better and better.

http://www.toybox.ca/~suzannes/tvquotes/wkrp/index.html

If only they could release it to DVD with the original soundtrack.*sigh*
I loved that show - the episodes with Mother Carlson and her Butler were the best.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #149
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindomURL View Post

EDIT: nevermind. We might see him after 5 or 6pm on weekdays.
yeah, Dis is working, he'll pick this evening sometime almost certainly.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #150
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
yeah, Dis is working, he'll pick this evening sometime almost certainly.
no asskicking tonight, people are either voting, watching the election, or watching the flames.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #151
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
no asskicking tonight, people are either voting, watching the election, or watching the flames.
oh come on, if you're not ass kicking, voting, watching election coverage, AND the Flames then you're not trying hard enough!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #152
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With my 2nd round pick I am proud to select, in the category of CANADIAN, SCTV!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075578/

I was so lucky to be exposed to this show via horrible VHS recordings in junior high. We watched these tapes until they didnt' play anymore and could recite many of the skits line by line. I have to admit, that I do love the fact (especially as a kid) that almost nobody I know has any idea what SCTV is or that Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara had careers before their blockbuster movies!

The talent on this show is unrivaled by any single season of SNL IMHO. So original and I think the premise of a TV network allowed the talent to explore beyond the classic 'skit' format. I will never forget many lines from the show and still use some of them to this day even though nobody has a clue what I'm talking about!

There's a real shortage of clips on youtube but here are a few good ones!

Gordon Lightfoot sings every song ever made!

Bobby Bittman!

Night School Hi-Q

Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #153
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry for the delay everyone. While I was working and voting, I had some major PC issues begining Sunday that I was just able to resolve a couple of hours ago.

Great picks with Serenity and Star Trek. Was taking one of those two this round if they were available!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #154
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.
It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear.
It was the age of gargoyles.
Stone by day, warriors by night,
we were betrayed by the humans we had sworn to protect,
frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years.
Now, here in Manhattan, the spell is broken,
and we live again!
We are defenders of the night!
We are...

With our 2nd pick in the Television Draft, The Channel Surfers could not possibly pass up the opportunity to select their favorite television series ever: Gargoyles.

This selection will be tentatively placed in the Action/Adventure category.

Quote:
The series features a clan of six nocturnal creatures known as Gargoyles that turn to stone during the day. They glide using large wings and age twice as slowly as humans, living twice as long because they are stone during daylight hours, even when not directly exposed to sunlight. Their leader is Goliath and his mentor is the elder gargoyle named Hudson. The others are three younger warriors named Brooklyn, Broadway and Lexington. There is also a dog-like beast without wings named Bronx.

In 994 A.D. on the coast of Scotland the six clan members, along with several dozen unnamed gargoyles and Goliath's female gargoyle love, later named Demona, protect Castle Wyvern and Princess Katherine along with many other Scots from Viking raiders until betrayal causes a massacre of the clan during their stone sleep (when they cannot defend themselves). Believing the gargoyles to be the cause of death for the princess, a magician called the Magus casts a spell on the six survivors putting them to sleep, day and night, using a spell that loosely translates to "Sleep, until the castle rises above the clouds."

In 1994, a billionaire named David Xanatos purchases the castle and moves the crumbling remains, piece by piece, to the top of his New York City skyscraper called The Eyrie Building. The magic spell is broken when the castle is literally placed "above the clouds" due to the skyscraper's height and Xanatos acquires the Magus' original book of spells called the Grimorum Arcanorum. Awakening in modern day Manhattan, the gargoyles must adapt to their new surroundings as they vow to protect the citizens of New York. Goliath befriends a detective of the NYPD named Elisa Maza and stops Xanatos from creating an army of robotic gargoyles after Demona returns, having somehow survived the 1000 years as well. She attempts to destroy them all but is stopped and Xanatos is arrested by the police for theft. The Gargoyles secret existence is kept safe with Elisa as they remain at the castle to protect New York City from various hostile forces.
I cannot say enough good things about this series. Originally developed as a children's television show by Disney, Gargoyles quickly took a life of its own and has become a cult classic to thousands and thousands of fans with its rich mythology and completely rounded characters.

A big staple of Gargoyles was the development of its supposed central villain, David Xanatos (voiced by Jonathan Frakes). Xanatos' character was seen as an ultimate opportunist, and very rarely ever "evil". He always had motivation behind his actions, and by the end of the series would become the Gargoyles' main ally.

I really loved this show as a kid, and just recently procured a copy of the entire series and watched it beginning to end, and found that a lot of the episodes were still relevant and aged very well. This is especially true of certain episodes like "Deadly Force", an episode in the first season that focused on the consequences of gun violence and was greatly praised by parents groups.

Some YouTube:

The opening:

Xanatos compilation:
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #155
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post

With our 2nd pick in the Television Draft, The Channel Surfers could not possibly pass up the opportunity to select their favorite television series ever: Gargoyles.

This selection will be tentatively placed in the Action/Adventure category.

Wow can't say I saw that one coming, I liked this one as well but a 2nd rounder, that is off the board I guess.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #156
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

DUDE GARGOYLES!!! Man I didnt even think about that. LOVED that show as a kid. Nice pick
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #157
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^I feel out of the loop...I've never even heard of Gargoyles.^
Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #158
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

its was a 90's cartoon so unless you either grew up then or had kids you probably dont know it.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #159
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was born in 1980. I would have thought I'd have heard of it.

Last edited by Flash; 11-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #160
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Wow, I totally forgot about Gargoyles...LOVED that show as a kid!