Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #14161
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is debatable that Rask has negative value as well and Zucker did not earn his pay. The Wild take on $300k in cap but the Flames take on the risk with more term. Both Neal and Zucker have 4 years left. Frolik has 1 and Rask has 3.

I am okay adding the third but not Mangiapane
I think there is a chance we could do a Neal for Rask deal as they both are on bad contracts and didn't work on their new teams. The question is what would it cost to dump 1.75M and and extra year on Minny? given we are getting a center would Janko be enough? Lets just leave Zucker out of the deal (this might be why the trade fell through as it got too complicated).

I think that;
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik*
Bennett-Rask-Czarnik
Mangiapanie-Ryan-(Hathaway)

is better that;
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik*
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Mangiapanie-Ryan-Czarnik

*=Trade/upgrade needed
()=Signing needed

Now if we all believe that Zucker is an upgrade on Frolik then the question is what would the cost be, or would Minny be okay getting out of that contract for a deadline trade chip in Frolik? If not what would the cost be? I am not willing to trade our 1st as I believe we need to keep stocking the cupboards and don't want too many more long term contracts that hamper our flexibility if this core can't get over the hump.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #14162
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksandBean View Post
I think there is a chance we could do a Neal for Rask deal as they both are on bad contracts and didn't work on their new teams. The question is what would it cost to dump 1.75M and and extra year on Minny? given we are getting a center would Janko be enough? Lets just leave Zucker out of the deal (this might be why the trade fell through as it got too complicated)
The extra year is really significant when you look at the total salary. Neal still has 23M over 4 years. Rask 12M over 3 years. That’s spending 11M(over four years) to get Janko? That seems very risky, when you are paying 11M (salary and cap). A buyout for Rask(8M over 6 years) would be a lot better than a Neal buyout(15.33M over 8 years) as well.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:20 AM   #14163
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no way on God's green earth Brodie gets 7 mill unless you mean total on a 3 year deal. Sure, he's on the top line but that's because he's a complimentary player.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #14164
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
There is no way on God's green earth Brodie gets 7 mill unless you mean total on a 3 year deal. Sure, he's on the top line but that's because he's a complimentary player.
Boy does the hyperbole have to stop. If you legitimately think UFA Brodie is going to sign for less than 2.5 perseason, you literally have no idea on salaries.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #14165
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think he's sign fir that, but I do think it'll be closer to that than 7 mil.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #14166
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see many trades out there for the Flames. I don't see them making panic moves after finishing top two in the league. I think you may see a couple deals of vets where we have depth for some prospects or picks, but I don't see them making any big splashy deals. I think Frolik and Brodie are sent packing in separate deals for 2nd or 3rd round picks that are used to restock our barren prospect cupboards.

If - and it is a massively big if - the Flames are really disappointed in the top end of the team, Treliving could go crazy and try to remake the team overnight, and make them much harder to play against.

To Ottawa: Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett/Mark Jankowski
To Calgary: Brady Tkachuk and Anthony Duclair

To Philadelphia: Johnny Gaudreau
To Calgary: Sean Couturier

Free Agent Signing: Colin Wilson

Massive change in a few roster moves and a completely different feel to the team. Might have to change the name of the team to the Calgary Americans too. Like I say, I doubt anything significant happens, but Treliving never ceases to surprise.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #14167
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't see many trades out there for the Flames. I don't see them making panic moves after finishing top two in the league. I think you may see a couple deals of vets where we have depth for some prospects or picks, but I don't see them making any big splashy deals. I think Frolik and Brodie are sent packing in separate deals for 2nd or 3rd round picks that are used to restock our barren prospect cupboards.

If - and it is a massively big if - the Flames are really disappointed in the top end of the team, Treliving could go crazy and try to remake the team overnight, and make them much harder to play against.

Massive change in a few roster moves and a completely different feel to the team. Might have to change the name of the team to the Calgary Americans too. Like I say, I doubt anything significant happens, but Treliving never ceases to surprise.
Established guys for players "about to pop/better fit". It's Hamilton/Ferland only big time.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #14168
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see little to no scenario where the flames who just finished 2nd overall blow up the top end of their roster.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #14169
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Remove Bennett/Janko and Duclair and I would be ok with this
Old 05-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #14170
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie will easily get $5 million per year on a long term deal. I am not saying that some team won’t live to regret it, but it will happen.

There is always a GM out there that will pay a premium for a mobile defenseman that can put up points even if they suck in other areas. He will get the Brian Campbell treatment.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #14171
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I see little to no scenario where the flames who just finished 2nd overall blow up the top end of their roster.
Maybe...but do you see a scenario where the team who managed just one win in the playoffs does something like that?

Im not advocating it, but i could certainly understand it if it was to occur.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #14172
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure if I like the trades, but at least they are reasonably good value wise.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #14173
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Brodie is getting $6 at the VERY least on the open market. $7 isn't out of the question -- honestly I think it's realistic. He's a defenseman with good underlying stats playing big minutes. Shattenkirk got $7 million when the cap was a fair bit lower and Brodie is a better player (and I think a little younger, if memory serves).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #14174
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Brodie is getting $6 at the VERY least on the open market. $7 isn't out of the question -- honestly I think it's realistic. He's a defenseman with good underlying stats playing big minutes. Shattenkirk got $7 million when the cap was a fair bit lower and Brodie is a better player (and I think a little younger, if memory serves).

I think it’s very possible as well. Someone will overpay for sure. I just hope someone will overpay in a trade as well.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #14175
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
For comparison:

Shattenkirk got his $6.65M per year at age 28. He'd come off seasons of 43, 23 (in 48 games) 45, 44 (in 56 games), 44 and 56 points. And also had pretty decent PPG in the POs. Notably, his long time team St. Louis didn't want to re-sign him, so traded him as a rental and he wasn't kept by washington. I suspect NYR regrets that signing, since he dropped off dranatically within 2 years.

Brodie is 28 now, so the contract will come actually a little later age-wise. His points are lower than Shattenkirk's. His PPG is probably moreso. So on stats he should make slightly less than Shattenkirk, and Shattenkirk might actually be a cautionary tale rather than a comparable.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #14176
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Maybe...but do you see a scenario where the team who managed just one win in the playoffs does something like that?

Im not advocating it, but i could certainly understand it if it was to occur.
Not when that team finished 20th the previous year and is coming out of a lengthy rebuild.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #14177
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If there is any truth to these Neal for Rask rumours I could see the flames doing something like this:

Frolik, Neal, 26OA For Rask, Zucker

Assuming the Frolik plus a first for Zucker was the deadline premium, getting a first might be enough to close the gap between the negative values of Rask and Neal and the difference between Frolik and Zucker. If not the Flames could add a third which I think balances it out well.

Then, Flames trade Brodie for a first and a third, which replenishes the picks lost and potentially even moves us up in the draft from where we would have been anyways.

I also think Janko could be moved either as part of one of these two deals to increase the return (for example instead of the third going to Minnesota add Janko and maybe then we get a third or 4th back, or with Brodie for a return of a first, second, and third, or something like that). Or maybe he just gets moved for an additional 2nd rounder.

I think the Zucker is one of the most likely trades the flames make but I also agree with other posters that, as much as I hate him, Kadri would be the best target for the Flames. In that case, I could see the flames moving Brodie + Jankowski for Kadri. I think that is pretty close to fair especially since Toronto is in the market for Dmen, might need to add a third though. Then trade Frolik for picks. Hopefully a second, but more likely a third and maybe fourth.

In both scenarios, the Flames end up able to retain a first rounder and also keep a few bullets in the chamber in the 2nd-3rd rounds all while, in my opinion, improving the top six drastically with, hopefully, no significant drop off to our defence.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #14178
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the suggestions...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Zucker - Kadri - Tkachuk
Dubé - Backlund - Bennett
Mangiapane - Rask - Ryan
Czarnik

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Välimäki - Kylington

Rittich
Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #14179
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I have a gut feeling we're gonna see someone totally unexpected traded to Calgary, someone nobody expects.

My money is on Stamkos.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #14180
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I like the suggestions...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Zucker - Kadri - Tkachuk
Dubé - Backlund - Bennett
Mangiapane - Rask - Ryan
Czarnik

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Välimäki - Kylington

Rittich
I'm not sure of the exact dollars but I suppose both trades could be possible as long as Neal is on his way out. But if they did both then it would leave them without a 1st or 2nd, if memory serves me, which might not be ideal. Rask and Stone might need to be flipped if possible, too, even if it's for a 5th-7th each. but that team does look sick.
Closed Thread