Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will the workload look like in Calgary this year
Rittich 50/30 70 31.67%
Rittich 45/35 75 33.94%
Even 38 17.19%
Talbot 45/35 27 12.22%
Talbot 50/30 11 4.98%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default QOTD: Goalie Split

Bringing back the Question of the Day to get us through the final stretch of summer. Will do my best to keep them interesting enough to have a little discussion.

Day one goaltending.

How do you see the goaltending split for games in Calgary this year?
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Many fans soured on Rittich being a legit number one after his injury in January. I think a lot of that is because it wasn't really disclosed/talked about, therefore fans just figured he'd fallen off second half because of workload or not being as good as we thought.

Personally, I feel like I saw a top 10 goalie in this league before his injury and without injury this season I think we'll see that again.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
jayswin

Exp:

And I think Talbot will have a bit of a resurgence on a team with legitimate defense and a fire to prove people wrong, stealing the net here and there. But overall I think it's Rittich's year.

However, I do think even if Rittich is showing top 10 stuff, the team will stay the course and still give the back up major reps (as is the trend in the NHL). So 50/30 split.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yeah it was good to hear Rittich was fighting something because it explained the slide in his play to some degree.

The other issue that had me worried though was his penchant for giving up short side high goals once the league seemed to figure him out.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm a little more concerned about Talbot giving up the first shot of the game. That was funny when he was an Oiler. Not so much now.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the whole idea of Talbot with a limited workload. He's excelled in that role before, and now he's also got a career to salvage. Rittich will be good, because I really believe he has what it takes to be a starting goalie in this league. I really look forward to watching the goaltending this year.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
I like the whole idea of Talbot with a limited workload. He's excelled in that role before, and now he's also got a career to salvage. Rittich will be good, because I really believe he has what it takes to be a starting goalie in this league. I really look forward to watching the goaltending this year.
I think Brad nailed goaltending for this season.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I voted rittich 45/35, but my hope is that they do what they did in 14/15 where they split every game for the first 10 games or so, then assess how they’re both doing and figure it out from there
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think Brad nailed goaltending for this season.
That says something given his record for goaltenders!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

When healthy, Rittich looked like a starter. Cam Talbot has shown he can be a starter. Rittich is being developed to hopefully become THE goalie for the Flames, so I suspect he gets 45-55 starts.

This is the first time I've gone into a season comfortable with the goalie situation since the Brian Elliott days. Turns out I should not have been comfortable.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went with an even split. I think both guys will have times when they seem like they've taken the number 1 job, but in the end it will work out pretty even. Hopefully Peters has a hard decision going into the playoffs, with both guys playing well.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Rittich will get even more than 50 games. I think 55-60. If the Flames is thinking that he IS the number 1 goalie, why continue to protect and baby him? 55 to 60 games is like 70%, still not a super heavy workload.

BTW, 45/35 split is essentially half and half split....
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #13
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm excited for a full season of Rittich, without the noise of Mike Smith hanging over him. He has shown that he can be a top ten goalie in this league -- now he just has to do it over a full season. If he stays healthy, I definitely think he can.

And I want Talbot to bounce back as well just for the Chiadenfreude. At the very least, I can't see him being worse than Smith was in the first few months of last season.

52/30 would be perfect IMO.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #14
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I'm pretty excited about Talbot. I think that behind a stronger team, and in a stronger room, he's going to be unrecognizable in contrast to last season.

Voted: Talbot 45/35
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
dangler22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I think Rittich will get even more than 50 games. I think 55-60. If the Flames is thinking that he IS the number 1 goalie, why continue to protect and baby him? 55 to 60 games is like 70%, still not a super heavy workload.

BTW, 45/35 split is essentially half and half split....
The lesser the workload, the fresher Rittich will be for the playoffs. I don't want him starting 60 games because to me that would signal that Talbot was a flop in the backup role.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
dangler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have this feeling we see a different goalie go into the playoffs as the starter.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #17
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a big believer that a starting goalie shouldn't play more then 50 games in a season. I don't really care who plays the lions share of the games so long as they don't ride one goalie like a rented mule.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #18
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling that Talbot is going to have a comeback year. He was in the tire fire long enought o temporarily break his spirit but hopefully not have permanently damaged him. Hopefully it's a hard decision who to put in all year.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the split should be determined by play but I'd give Rittich game 1.

That being said, I don't think Peters has that much faith in BSD, so I wouldn't be surprised if Talbot ends up as 1A
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #20
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling that Talbot is going to take the reigns this year, I think he’s got a lot to prove and was hung out to dry on one of if not the worst defence in the league. He seems to have great positioning at all times whereas sometimes I find Rittich let’s in goals where it appeared he “lost his net”. Either way, it’s nice to finally have two solid options where I would be confident in both to win games against anyone.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote