Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Really, I mean the cops say this:
Quote:
"We can confirm that [a] black car was passing the Durango operated by the German family and that while it was passing it did lower the passenger side window. A firearm was produced and discharged from the interior of the vehicle."
Kalis said the man driving the black car was white and may have had long, dark hair.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...head-1.4773260

That's some serious detail to make up from shock.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^
Really, I mean the cops say this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...head-1.4773260

That's some serious detail to make up from shock.
If you were passed by a car with it’s window open and then got shot I think it’s reasonable to put the gun in the hands of the only thing there.

How do you end up inducing lethal road rage on an empty highway. It’s possible but do you think anyone in the car would consider people shooting in a field a possible source of gunshot?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows the motive, but if the police are using the words "we can confirm" I'm going to believe that series of events over the odds of a random guy in a field managing to accidentally shoot a vehicle traveling 100km/h down a highway at the same time they are being passed by another vehicle, and managing to get the bullet through the drivers window into the head of a guy.

Sorry, but that's magic bullet territory. Could it happen? Sure, but it's a one in a million shot. I'll take "angry dude with a gun" over your theory any day. Particularity when it sounds like they have a good idea of the sequence of events.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #24
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you were passed by a car with it’s window open and then got shot I think it’s reasonable to put the gun in the hands of the only thing there.

How do you end up inducing lethal road rage on an empty highway. It’s possible but do you think anyone in the car would consider people shooting in a field a possible source of gunshot?
By any chance, do you happen to be white with long, black hair?

Just curious.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #25
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Late Friday afternoon, a vehicle matching that description was found and seized from a residential street in the Town of Cochrane.

There is no information on the whereabouts of the driver, but RCMP have blocked off and surrounded a home in the community.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/vehicle-m...ized-1.4039410
Old 08-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #26
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Ah. Driving a Chrysler Sebring.

That explains it.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...9-19da68ef8447

Very weird. The police are now saying that they don't believe it was a case of road rage, and the occupants of the SUV weren't the intended targets.

It sounds like the victim will pull through, but not without permanent damage. He's in critical but stable condition.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #28
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...9-19da68ef8447

Very weird. The police are now saying that they don't believe it was a case of road rage, and the occupants of the SUV weren't the intended targets.

It sounds like the victim will pull through, but not without permanent damage. He's in critical but stable condition.
How unstable do you have to be to assume that? I hope they lock that guy up.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #29
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Who knows the motive, but if the police are using the words "we can confirm" I'm going to believe that series of events over the odds of a random guy in a field managing to accidentally shoot a vehicle traveling 100km/h down a highway at the same time they are being passed by another vehicle, and managing to get the bullet through the drivers window into the head of a guy.

Sorry, but that's magic bullet territory. Could it happen? Sure, but it's a one in a million shot. I'll take "angry dude with a gun" over your theory any day. Particularity when it sounds like they have a good idea of the sequence of events.

Off topic but when I was 7 years old in Nov 1988 three teens sat in the hillside of what was to become the Maple Ridge golf course with a rifle and we're randomly aiming and shooting at some cars.

After a couple of shots they managed to shoot my dad in the back as he ride his 10 Speed bike on the northbound side of Deerfoot just past the cement plant (he had run out of gas and was riding back to his car with a small jerry can).

The doctors said he was about 1 cm away from being killed. Instead it was an in and out that he didn't notice (due to shock) until he got home and my mum noticed all the blood.

So it definitely could happen whether intentional or not.
I never found out if they were specifically aiming at my dad, only that they were looking to see if they could hit some cars.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 12:54 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of the best shots I ever took was during basic training where I hit a target square in the middle of the head from 200 yards away in a cross wind using an iron sight on an FN-C1-A2. But try as I might I never ever came close to replicating that shot. So while an accidental shot from a field passing one car to hit another car where the bullet has to pass through glass and hit a target that was probably moving that was less then a foot apart, sounds unlikely, sh%t happens.

Whenever I get together with buddies and we go through our usual beer and remembering things like basic training and the "Shot" comes up, I will always claim that the bullet went exactly where I wanted it to go, but I know, and I'm pretty sure those that witnessed that shot know, it was a complete and utter fluke.

I'm not saying I buy the theory of the random shot from the grassy knoll, if there was a shooter there and he was shooting at something unrelated, I never discount the law of stuff happens.

But to me, I'm more then likely going to say, it was probably a pistol shot from a car less then 10 feet away, and while a shot like that with a pistol in a moving vehicle on an unsteady road (and we all know that Alberta highways aren't exactly smooth) is still a pretty tough shot, its more likely.

I hope they catch the guy, and throw the book at him. I hope that the driver of the other car comes out ok. There's been too much gun stuff lately.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #31
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

This story actually made the newspaper in Dubai. Now Calgary can be known as the place in Canada where tourists are shot by road-ragers.

Great.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:01 AM   #32
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Off topic but when I was 7 years old in Nov 1988 three teens sat in the hillside of what was to become the Maple Ridge golf course with a rifle and we're randomly aiming and shooting at some cars.

After a couple of shots they managed to shoot my dad in the back as he ride his 10 Speed bike on the northbound side of Deerfoot just past the cement plant (he had run out of gas and was riding back to his car with a small jerry can).

The doctors said he was about 1 cm away from being killed. Instead it was an in and out that he didn't notice (due to shock) until he got home and my mum noticed all the blood.

So it definitely could happen whether intentional or not.
I never found out if they were specifically aiming at my dad, only that they were looking to see if they could hit some cars.

I remember that news story. They shot a goose as well and had thrown it in a fcampfire they set

Glad your dad is OK. It was pretty scary to think about at the time.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #33
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I find the road rage cause as unbelievable so it will be interesting to see how this evolves. To me much more likely is someone carelessly firing a gun in a field and people’s memory not quite being right in a traumatic event.
It's funny to me that you think you'd actually know better than the people involved and the people investigating.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #34
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
This story actually made the newspaper in Dubai. Now Calgary can be known as the place in Canada where tourists are shot by road-ragers.

Great.
I'd be more concerned about ultra rich folk from Dubai coming here to hunt humans for sport.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
It's funny to me that you think you'd actually know better than the people involved and the people investigating.
Well road rage wasn’t the cause was it, Mistaken identity makes more sense.

I didn’t say I knew more than the people investigating. I said I found it hard to believe what was being said. I think there is a significant difference between the to.

Last edited by GGG; 08-04-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well road rage wasn’t the cause was it.

Mistaken identity makes more sense.
Well, it certainly wasn't a random guy in a random field. It not being road rage, hardly makes your assumptions based on nothing, contrary to investigation and eye witness testimony less hilarious.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Well, it certainly wasn't a random guy in a random field. It not being road rage, hardly makes your assumptions based on nothing, contrary to investigation and eye witness testimony less hilarious.
I’m not sure why you find me being wrong hilarious? I thought the current information released to the public didn’t make sense and made two posts about it. Doesn’t seem like a big I told you so moment being wrong is pretty normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #38
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not sure why you find me being wrong hilarious? I thought the current information released to the public didn’t make sense and made two posts about it. Doesn’t seem like a big I told you so moment being wrong is pretty normal.
I found it funny, no "I told you so" moment. the second post was in response to your post.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #39
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated news story says the victim has pulled through after surgery, hopefully continues to improve.
Also says it seems to be mistaken identity ("not intended target"), not road rage.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #40
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Updated news story says the victim has pulled through after surgery, hopefully continues to improve.
Also says it seems to be mistaken identity ("not intended target"), not road rage.
So just a "regular drive by shooting on the highway murder" kinda thing?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: