Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default All Inclusive Resorts in Mexico?

Hey Everyone,

My fiance and I are getting married on August 20th this summer, and we're currently trying to figure out/book our honeymoon which we will go on the week after. Because this time of the year is hurricane season in that part of the world, we'll most likely end up going somewhere on the west coast of Mexico (P.V., Los Cabos, etc.). I'm wondering if from experience you guys have any all inclusive resorts you would recommend? I've looked at a number online but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with honest opinions from people who have actually stayed there. Any input you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year I went to PV in July. Found a sweet deal at the Royal Decameron. It was a good experience. They do lots of weddings there. I found that the resort was busy with domestic tourists instead of the usual drunk Albertans and Quebecois. It was a nice change....freaking hot though.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Last year I went to PV in July. Found a sweet deal at the Royal Decameron. It was a good experience. They do lots of weddings there. I found that the resort was busy with domestic tourists instead of the usual drunk Albertans and Quebecois. It was a nice change....freaking hot though.
PV in general, will always have a lot of domestic tourists. I find it creates a nice blend between the tourists and "authentic" experience.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
PV in general, will always have a lot of domestic tourists. I find it creates a nice blend between the tourists and "authentic" experience.
Agreed. I was in Cabo a couple summers ago, and when in town I swear it just looked like Calgary with much better weather, palm trees and funny writing on the signs. Kinda lame. Although some people may like that. Depends what you're looking for I guess. At least from my perspective, I'd go PV, though Cabo's probably swankier.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Agreed. I was in Cabo a couple summers ago, and when in town I swear it just looked like Calgary with much better weather, palm trees and funny writing on the signs. Kinda lame. Although some people may like that. Depends what you're looking for I guess. At least from my perspective, I'd go PV, though Cabo's probably swankier.
Cabo is definitely nicer. The higher end resorts in PV will all be pretty good though (consult tripadvisor first though). I wouldn't recommend slumming it in PV though. The lower end resorts in PV are not great.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Definitely don't plan on slumming, looking 4 1/2 stars +. Any specific resorts you guys would recommend looking into?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
mac_gurl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We stayed at the Riu Santa Fe resort in Cabo, and had no complaints. I'd definatly recommend it!
mac_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i would risk hurricane season and not go to Mexico. Even Dominican could be done for similar prices and it is much less of a crap hole. Mexico is the armpit of tourism.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
Definitely don't plan on slumming, looking 4 1/2 stars +. Any specific resorts you guys would recommend looking into?
In the last 3 years I've been to the PV area twice. The first visit was to the Royal Decameron: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...fic_Coast.html. Overall this was a pretty nice resort. It's a little on the large/busy side, but if you're into activities and the like, it's a good fit. You can walk to the small town of Bucerias in 15-20 mins. It's a quaint little town where you can purchase the standard Mexican trinkets. There are a few restaurants here, including a place called Bellucci's which is owned and operated by a Canadian that loves hockey. As I was there over New Years I got to watch a world junior game there.

More recently (Jan 2011) I stayed at the Marival Resort and Suites:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...fic_Coast.html
It's smaller than the Decameron, and I found it more enjoyable too. The food was really good here, except for the steakhouse a la carte (don't ever expect a good steak after eating Alberta beef). The Italian a la carte was fantastic. Plenty of pools and bar scattered around the resort, including a martini bar above the lobby with a pianist. The resort is just a short cab ride away from Nuevo Vallarta where you can go to shop, play golf, go fishing. We played one round of golf at the Marina course, which was really nice. They gave us Taylormade RAC irons for the rental clubs. The course even has live alligators.

I would definitely give the edge to the Marival.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's a little further south than what you seem to be looking at, but I absolutely loved it a Dreams Huatulco. Beautiful resort, a little less touristy than a place like PV, and really friendly, happy people around the area. Plus, they have pretty good white water rafting if you're into that sort of thing. Warm water, waves to jump and splash in, etc. I would definitely go back.

Caveat though: I was there in December and I have no idea what it would be like in the summer. I imagine it would be incredibly hot though.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bacon Legs View Post
It's a little further south than what you seem to be looking at, but I absolutely loved it a Dreams Huatulco. Beautiful resort, a little less touristy than a place like PV, and really friendly, happy people around the area. Plus, they have pretty good white water rafting if you're into that sort of thing. Warm water, waves to jump and splash in, etc. I would definitely go back.

Caveat though: I was there in December and I have no idea what it would be like in the summer. I imagine it would be incredibly hot though.
I appreciate this. We aren't stuck on specific locations, just areas that we won't have to worry about the weather as much. Basically anywhere on the west coast it good.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
I appreciate this. We aren't stuck on specific locations, just areas that we won't have to worry about the weather as much. Basically anywhere on the west coast it good.
During my trip to the Marival this past January it was the most perfect weather I've experienced on a tropical vacation. 7 days straight of 26-27 degrees with sunny skies and a light breeze.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
i would risk hurricane season and not go to Mexico. Even Dominican could be done for similar prices and it is much less of a crap hole. Mexico is the armpit of tourism.
Depends where you go in Mexico and where you stay. I stayed at the Riu Palace Maya (a 5+ star resort) and it was as good or better than Secrets and the Hard Rock in the Dominican for half the price.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

El Dorado Royale had great a la carte restaurants and some of the best food I've ever had at a resort. Plus it has a no rugrats policy.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bacon Legs View Post

Huatulco is my favorite place in Mexico and the Dreams is my favorite hotel in the area. It's definetly worth a look.
A little South of Cancun is the Excellence Riviera Hotel. 5 star adults only, this is where we went for our Honeymoon. It was GREAT!!
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I wasn't a fan. It was too big. Not as clean as other places I have been. The pool was pretty nasty at times due to guys not sweeping out the goo. You will notice that is the hotel that comes up as the best 'bargain' when doing searches. Ooooh, 4.5-5 star for so cheap. Awesome. There were a crapload of Jersey Shore kids on their parents dime that could not hold the alcohol. Puking in the pool by 10:30 am.

If I was going with buddies I might go back though. If you are into the frat party thing it could be good though. Probably not a great honeymoon place.
Man, this is totally why it pays to read comments/reviews for each hotel. That happened to me once, nothing's worse than getting there thinking you scored a great deal, only to find out its an absolute spring break-type gongshow. It's one thing if you're with the boys, but when its just you and the girl, that stuff's the worst.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

+1 for Huatulco. I loved the distinct feeling that I would not be decapitated by Mexican drug-lords.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
jjbouma
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Huatulco is my favorite place in Mexico and the Dreams is my favorite hotel in the area. It's definetly worth a look.
A little South of Cancun is the Excellence Riviera Hotel. 5 star adults only, this is where we went for our Honeymoon. It was GREAT!!
I just stayed at Secrets Capri in Riviera Maya and it was great. Awesome hotel and great food.

They are opening a Secrets resort in Huatulco in July 2011. They also have an introductory special that if you book before April 30 and stay before December 23, you get a Junior Suite for $99 per person per night, which is an awesome deal for a Secrets hotel.

http://www.secretsresorts.com/Huatulco/index.asp
http://www.secretsresorts.com/terms/...o_special.html

Might be tough finding a flight there at that time of the year though.
jjbouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any Palace Resort is great. Did my wedding at the Moon Palace in the Mayan Riv. Best honeymoon spot, imo, is anywhere on Isla Mujeres. We rented a beach house there, which is not expensive at all, and loved every minute of it. There is also a Palace Resort there as well. Best thing about that island is that's it's not overrun by tourists, it has great beaches and restaurants and it's a 20min ferry to Cancun.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went to Cancun a few years back. The resort was great, but I hated the food. Even when I went for meals at the high end places in Cancun, I found the food "off". To top it off, I got extremely sick from the food.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-inclusive , honeymoon , mexico