Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #1581
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 39 View Post
Historically we seem to have primarily used our subs as clockwork mice for the ASW assets to train against. Our government (regardless of political party) doesn't appear to clearly understand the value of a submarine force.

They seem to not see what a force multiplier a modern sub is, as well as a great intelligence gathering asset. It also with the right sub could go a long way in terms of protecting the Northern Coast line.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #1582
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think you're talking about the Soryu class. The Victoria significantly ou tranges it irrc. However because the AIP the Soryu can stay submerged for a lot longer.

I think the Aussie's shopped it for a while to replace the Collins class, and its a three way competition.
Yeah the Aussies looked at the Japanese one, some Israeli one I'm not familiar with, and the French one they ended up picking. edit: oh and the Spanish S-80 but they eliminated it pretty quick

Someone mentioned their procurement is a ####show, but it's for political reasons mostly. Still nothing compared to what we see here, haha

Last edited by btimbit; 06-16-2021 at 08:06 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #1583
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The French decision is weird to me, because its a build from scratch for Australia, as the French don't really build Diesel Boats for domestic use, they are a full nuclear navy.

Up until the awarding of the contract, the reviews of the Japanese subs by Australia were really positive.

I think the day and age of Canada ever building a home grown, designed in built in Canada major weapons system is over. We're just going to buy designs, let another country build them and we'll Canadianize them.

That goes for fighters, ships, subs etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #1584
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The French decision is weird to me, because its a build from scratch for Australia, as the French don't really build Diesel Boats for domestic use, they are a full nuclear navy.

Yeah it's interesting, it's a Diesel conversion of a nuclear design

Quote:
I think the day and age of Canada ever building a home grown, designed in built in Canada major weapons system is over. We're just going to buy designs, let another country build them and we'll Canadianize them.

That goes for fighters, ships, subs etc.
It's the smart move, we'd save an incredible amount of money on the Frigates too if we just had them built in Ireland like the Brits and then just had Irving do our mods and install our equipment
Old 06-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #1585
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want Canada to start heavily investing in automated systems for defense. These are still areas where we can make vast technological improvements and commercialize that technology for other national benefit as well. Drone swarms, drone subs, etc.
And they make sense for the defense of Canada, a technologically advanced nation with relatively small population that could even act as an emergency defense force and a vast, indefensible land.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #1586
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We should just build our own from scratch and pay some Quebec company to do it. Bombardier is used to building expensive tubes, right?
it is clear to me you have never had to use an Iltis in a operational setting.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #1587
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I feel that surface vessels and aircraft that can be used in search & rescue activates should be our priority.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #1588
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
it is clear to me you have never had to use an Iltis in a operational setting.
No problem, just needed to make sure we only deploy somewhere with no hills
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #1589
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
No problem, just needed to make sure we only deploy somewhere with no hills
or a requirement to stop, i legit drove one for a month and me and my passenger would use our feet to slow it down.

Quote:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #1590
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm still interested in what requirement we were filling

"Hey, we need a vehicle for situations where we don't need to get there quickly or reliably, and doesn't matter if we just don't get there at all"

but at least we learned from it and followed up with the LSVW 10 years later........
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #1591
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"Hey, we need a vehicle for situations where we don't need to get there quickly or reliably, and doesn't matter if we just don't get there at all"

but at least we learned from it and followed up with the LSVW 10 years later........

This was the dumbest thing I have ever seen when it comes to military vehicles, that includes the LSVW, which you had to back up steep hills because the weight distribution was ####ed up.

I mean at least the YJ was fun to drive. Completely useless for it's intended purpose but yeah, fun.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #1592
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing says 'repurposed' like having your head bouncing over dead air while trundling your way to hospital.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #1593
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I want Canada to start heavily investing in automated systems for defense. These are still areas where we can make vast technological improvements and commercialize that technology for other national benefit as well. Drone swarms, drone subs, etc.
And they make sense for the defense of Canada, a technologically advanced nation with relatively small population that could even act as an emergency defense force and a vast, indefensible land.

The problem with automated systems is that most of the countries that we would consider to be threats have invested heavily in CyberWar Fare. Also jamming of data links is a real up and coming field.

A drone does no good if they lose connectivity or worse yet fall victim to malicious coding. Its why no air force is going to go whole hog into unmanned vehicles.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #1594
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Bombardier totally saw us coming on the Iltis, not only were they terrible, didn't fit into any role, but when we licensed them from Germany, Bombardier had a price tag on them that was 5x as much as what Germany could build them for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #1595
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Nothing says 'repurposed' like having your head bouncing over dead air while trundling your way to hospital.
"That's the Queens air you're insulting" - Salty Mcpl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #1596
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cyc...eece-1.6082716

Quote:
The pilot of an ill-fated Canadian military helicopter tried to manually override the flight control function and — for a variety of reasons — did not see the autopilot was still on when the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter crashed into the Ionian Sea off Greece last year, an air force flight safety investigation has concluded.
The conflict between manual control and the aircraft's automatic flight controller system caused an unanticipated "bias" in the helicopter's fly-by-wire (FWB) computers, prompting the aircraft to nose dive a full speed into the ocean as it was returning to HMCS Fredericton after a flypast.
The pilot, however, was not at fault because attempting to use manual controls while the automatic system is still engaged is a routine procedure, the air force report said.
The flight safety investigation does raise a series of additional questions about training and, more importantly, certification of the helicopter, which was fitted with a high-tech flight control system that few other helicopters in the world posess.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:16 PM   #1597
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Every helicopter ever built has manual override. Small children know what manual override is."

"Not this one! This one will speed up and go into a nosedive if you try. For safety."

Man, I feel sorry for that pilot.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #1598
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh - I didn't realize the new Harry De Wolf class AOPS they just comissioned are armed with only a 25mm Bushmaster cannon off an M2 Bradley. That and a couple of .50 cals. I had thought it was a proper sized deck gun at least.

Maybe they can bungee a couple of NSM canister launchers when the Russians show up with their AOPS vessels
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #1599
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Ugh - I didn't realize the new Harry De Wolf class AOPS they just comissioned are armed with only a 25mm Bushmaster cannon off an M2 Bradley. That and a couple of .50 cals. I had thought it was a proper sized deck gun at least.

Maybe they can bungee a couple of NSM canister launchers when the Russians show up with their AOPS vessels
They should bolt on a couple of CIWS, for sure.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #1600
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

In pretty good news, looks like Canada has purchased AEGIS for our Type 26s, meaning we will have missile defence ability.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...th-17-billion/
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote