Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #21
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Couldn't even make it through the video, too hard to watch.

Nothing like a fresh knife to the wound.
Watched it. Brought a small tear to my eye. Sigh. What a run! Wish we had a team somewhere in sight that might...just might...be able to repeat that. With a better ending.

But holy toot...beer and bar food every other night for 2 months did nothing for my ever-growing belly. It took a LONG time to work it all off. But the girls were great (I was single then LOL).
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #22
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Too soon!

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd argue Calgary as a community peaked during that run too. HM to the flood summer.

People of all walks of life bonded over one team playing one sport.

I knew people that hadn't watched hockey in their lives that became invested in the '04 Flames.

Edmonton '06, Ottawa '07, Vancouver '11, none of those teams united people in the same way (across the country I mean).

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-18-2021 at 06:21 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I've always had the utmost respect for the Habs due to the rivalry that developed in the 80s.
And they stayed and applauded us lifting the Cup in the Forum.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 01:06 AM   #25
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

My little brother is in the video at 1:20

Last edited by dying4acup; 06-20-2021 at 01:09 AM.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:49 AM   #26
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My dad owned Bob The Fish on 17th ave, and HOLY ####. I was 14 years old working there clearing beer bottles and chicken wing bones up. OH MAN was that fun to see. I remember Mayor Bronconnier(sp?) 'Guest' Bartending one night during the Detroit series. That was a truly special time in Calgary's lore.

The Molson rep gave my dad tickets to game 4(I think, memory lane is hard to get right), but my dad took me to the game and watching Lecavalier and Iginla fight will always be one of my fondest memories, not only of hockey, but with my dad, and just how ####ing cool it was to see those two go at it.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
My dad owned Bob The Fish on 17th ave, and HOLY ####. I was 14 years old working there clearing beer bottles and chicken wing bones up. OH MAN was that fun to see. I remember Mayor Bronconnier(sp?) 'Guest' Bartending one night during the Detroit series. That was a truly special time in Calgary's lore.

The Molson rep gave my dad tickets to game 4(I think, memory lane is hard to get right), but my dad took me to the game and watching Lecavalier and Iginla fight will always be one of my fondest memories, not only of hockey, but with my dad, and just how ####ing cool it was to see those two go at it.
Bob the Fish was a great bar. My band used to play there fairly often.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #28
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Actually watched game 7 at Bob the Fish. Think we got there at 1pm to stake out seats and my buddy had trouble getting in later because the fire marshal showed up for capacity reasons. Lots of fun times there overall.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #29
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

This plus the lockout year right after was like the greatest depression..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #30
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was writing my Oracle DBA certification exam after taking the full course during Game 7. There were a few hockey fans in the class, but I asked the instructor not to post any score updates during the exam to avoid distracting me.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #31
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is crazy how time flies, I was 18 and graduating grade 12. Went to both games 1 and 2 in Vancouver and went to every home playoff game for all 4 rounds. In the finals I remember specifically really disliking Kerry Fraser, as he was horrible for most of the series.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #32
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have lots of amazing memories from that run but here's a somewhat unique one some of you might enjoy...

I was working for the Writers Guild of Alberta at the time and the Alberta Book Awards were scheduled for Saturday April 17, 2004 in Calgary.

Months earlier, we had booked the Palliser Hotel for the ceremony but I was very disappointed because the Flames were up 3-2 in their first round series against Vancouver and in a position to clinch that same night.

I even remember trying to convince my boss that we should do a last-minute date change arguing that no one would be interested in our Gala with all media and corporate sponsorships focused on the Flames (this was probably true but selfishly, I also wanted to be able to watch the game live. Well, live on TV anyhow since tickets were pretty hard to come by, even in round one.)

Anyhow, too much work had been done to change the date at the last minute so the ceremony was a go.

I hatched a plan.

In those days before smartphones and ubiquitous Internet, I decided I could keep sneaking out of the ballroom for updates at the front desk then relay them to our MC to announce to the crowd.

There's not a huge overlap between artsy/literary types and professional sports fans but has already been pointed out in this thread, even in round one, people from all walks of life were starting to rally behind the Flames.

Except...

The Canucks went up 4-0 by the middle of the second period. So I put my plan aside, stopped sneaking out for updates and just focused on getting through the ceremony, assuming the game was over.

The awards ended after a couple hours and I went out to the lobby bar with a few coworkers, authors and others expecting to celebrate the end of a very busy day.

The big screen TV in the lounge that hadn't been there earlier should've been my first clue.

But I couldn't figure out why the Flames were still on the screen at that late point in the night. Was HNIC immediately replaying the game for some reason?

The Flames had mounted a comeback, tied the game 4-4 and were about to head to OT! The Palliser had rolled a big screen TV into their lounge so the assembled guests - including could even watch the game as it went to OT. Then double OT. And finally triple OT!

The Flames eventually lost that game but I'll always have a fond memory of the first, and perhaps only time in history, the Palliser Hotel lobby bar became a sports bar, just for one night!

Last edited by Jaybo; 06-21-2021 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Clarity (maybe)
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #33
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

That game was the first ever NHL game I ever attended and it was a complete surprise. I was 14 and prepared to watch it in the backyard of my parent's friends house hoping to sneak in a beer.

When we got there I was handed a ticket and told to get into the car. Row 1, Level 2, centre ice.

For many reasons that game was unforgettable, but that crushing feeling of St. Louis scoring in OT has never really left me.