Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #7381
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think it's rather easy to say we lost that trade.

We basically got a replacement level NHL player (4th line/13th F). Sure that 2nd round pick might have only have a 25% chance at becoming an NHL'er... but that includes a range of quality that exceeds the quality of Curtis Lazar. Additionally the team also lost the trade value of a 2nd round pick.

People don't need to rush to Trelivings defense. He's just a decent GM, not a great GM... that means he's going to have some transactions that make you go "Woof" along with some that make you go "Weeee"
And it might have been worth nothing. Been there. What's a second round pick get you, straight up, these days? They are sprinkled on trades to add parity to a deal, or to secure a middle six veteran UFA rental at TD. Instead you got a bottom six player, under control for another 4 years, that has shown potential to be better, possibly middle six.

I'm not rushing to Trelivings defense. But if you are going to insinuate that trading a second for Lazar has hamstrung this team, your just plain wrong.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #7382
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Man, if the Flames can pry Hartman from Chicago, that'd be very best possible acquisition I could hope for. Love the way he plays. And a true RH/RW too boot.

If the Flames are also looking at 3rd line center options. Either Jankos going back down or they feel Backlund isn't going to sign in their window of acceptable term or dollars. I'm starting to think it'll be Jankowski going back down to marinate a little more . Now that he's had a stretch of games and has a better idea of what an NHL season is like, he can focus on getting ready for full time duty next year. Also with the idea of sending Janko down, it allows the Flames some really good depth heading into the playoff push.

But man, getting Hartman would be a dream. Almost feel like he would be the perfect fit for Janko/Bennett.
Or what if we just staple Stajan to the bench and move Jankowski with Hathaway. Depth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #7383
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
And it might have been worth nothing. Been there. What's a second round pick get you, straight up, these days? They are sprinkled on trades to add parity to a deal, or to secure a middle six veteran UFA rental at TD. Instead you got a bottom six player, under control for another 4 years, that has shown potential to be better, possibly middle six.

I'm not rushing to Trelivings defense. But if you are going to insinuate that trading a second for Lazar has hamstrung this team, your just plain wrong.
Reto Berra?

Patrick Eaves?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #7384
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Or what if we just staple Stajan to the bench and move Jankowski with Hathaway. Depth.
To be honest, the last 3 weeks Stajan has been head and shoulders more effective than Jankowski though.

MJ really seems to have hit that rookie wall.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #7385
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Friedman never suggested there was issues with Treliving. He reported that Treliving didn’t have a contract in place for the following season and that it was strange to see that in the NHL. All facts.

He didn’t speculate on any issues.
Bad choice of words. I agree he didn't say there were any issues with Treliving himself or the job he was doing, but he sure made a much larger deal of the issue than it turned out to be. Even when Burke came out and said it was their new policy to not do it until after the season, Friedman still kept talking about it and I felt like he was making it an issue.

Just makes me wonder if he has any good sources on the Flames. Like I said, I still very much respect his opinion.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #7386
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Hathaway + Gillies = Scoring winger?
A 4th liner and an average AHL goaltender do not return an NHL scoring winger.

I think at this point, every team likely has their own "Gillies" that they're giving playing time to. It's unfortunate, the lack of progression out of him at the pro level.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #7387
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on Oilers Now is saying that someone told him after his Calgary radio hit that it is not Zack Smith that the Flames are looking at on the Senators.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #7388
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
To be honest, the last 3 weeks Stajan has been head and shoulders more effective than Jankowski though.

MJ really seems to have hit that rookie wall.
I actually think it's come down to Hathaway.

When Hathaway was really going that line looked great, and quite honestly he was a/the major catalyst. Janko was finishing but Hathaway was the noticeable one on that line for sure.

Since he's fallen off the line hasn't recovered.

I know the overall attitude in this thread is balking at zach smith but bottom 6 is the area of the most need for the flames.

Janko needs to go back to the AHL, and Bennett can't play centre in the NHL. The Flames are desperate for another option when Backlund or Monahan are tired.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #7389
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's Hoffman. Perfect for the Top 6.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #7390
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what a Hoffman trade would look like from our perspective? Kylington/Fox and Gillies? Maybe a roster player too? Possibly a conditional pick years down the road?

I hate making trade proposals because usually they're nowhere near accurate, but this situation could be unique since the Flames have lots of good prospects and not many picks. Treliving will have to get creative.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #7391
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoffman would be a very hard get imo. He’s playing much better lately and I think the Sens will only move him if they get an overpayment and I doubt Treliving would do that. The Sens have no reason to trade him mid season and he is one of their best offensive players. Flames only get Hoffman if they move a player like Brodie and a very good prospect. That’s the reality of the situation
Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #7392
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on Oilers Now is saying that someone told him after his Calgary radio hit that it is not Zack Smith that the Flames are looking at on the Senators.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #7393
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

FWIW, in McKenzie's latest podcast he says he remains unconvinced that the Flames are willing to pay a big price to bring anyone in. He specifically mentions that Hoffman would be a big price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #7394
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Has to be something more significant (hopefully Hoffman maybe Pageau?) with the amount of scouting that has gone on. Ottawa is in Toronto Saturday night and Treliving is with the team in New York. Would be a good time to get some face time with Dorion
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #7395
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two little things. About a quarter of the teams in the league don't have a potential NHL calibre goalie in the system. Gilles, Rittich and Parsons all have value. Every team has a Mcdonald, Schneider lottery ticket.

Also, I wish everyone would stop throwing Fox into trade proposals. To a lot of people he is as untouchable as Parsons or Valimaki. He's really good.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #7396
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Listening to Mckenzie right now . . . Paraphrasing here, but says the Hamonic trade really hampered Calgary's ability to do much for getting a guy like Hoffman. There might be some way to get a deal done with prospects. Mentioned Gillies.

Basically nothing we don't already know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #7397
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pageau would be a good target. I don't think his asking price would be too big.
Would fit nicely next to Bennett and Jankowski
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #7398
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Burke seemed pretty calculated when he said we weren't interested in trading more picks for a rental. But a player like Hoffman, who still has 2 more years left on his contract, wouldn't be a rental.

I'm guessing it would take a package similar to our 2019 1st + Gillies + Stone.

Ottawa could use a legit goalie prospect as they seem to have nothing in place following Craig Anderson, and reuniting the Stone brothers would probably be beneficial when it comes to resigning Mark Stone.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #7399
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that's the case then I wonder if it's a guy like Pageau they're looking at. He'd be a nice addition to our bottom 6 and could probably be had at a reasonable price.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #7400
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Has to be something more significant (hopefully Hoffman maybe Pageau?) with the amount of scouting that has gone on. Ottawa is in Toronto Saturday night and Treliving is with the team in New York. Would be a good time to get some face time with Dorion
you'd have to think Hoffman would command value wise, a 2 firsts and a 2nd and possibly a 3rd. What that actually equates too if you include players is a different question... but looking at what the Sens gave up to acquire Duchene suggests the price will be high

it it were Brodie straight up, i'd pull that trigger today...

but its more likely a guy like Pageau, whom i'd be happy with, as i believe we need an upgrade to the bottom 6. Byron would be a nice add too

yes, the top 6 could use help too, but only if you are willing to pay a hefty price.
Closed Thread