Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #3781
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback
 
cmyden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is there a website where lets say I can search for all flights from anywhere in Italy to Munich on a certain day? Trying to plan out a trip.
Try Skyscanner.ca

- In the 'From' field, enter Italy

It will only show prices from cities in Italy that have been searched recently, so you may want to open each of the cities listed as 'Non-stop' in a new tab.

-
__________________
Sign up for YYC Deals alerts if you want to be the first to know when I post a deal!

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #3782
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Try Skyscanner.ca

- In the 'From' field, enter Italy

It will only show prices from cities in Italy that have been searched recently, so you may want to open each of the cities listed as 'Non-stop' in a new tab.

-

Would he have better luck with Google Flights, and just trying return flights from Munich to Italy on the desired days to see what's available?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #3783
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is there a website where lets say I can search for all flights from anywhere in Italy to Munich on a certain day? Trying to plan out a trip.
Best I've found is to use google flights for flights from Munich (the map will show you everywhere with direct flights on that day, meaning they probably go the other way too) - then you just swap the direction to see specific flights...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #3784
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger
 
verda13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Exp:
Default

Google flights allows you to select multiple airports, but has a limit of 5, I believe. If you search the other way around (ie. Rome Departure), it's unlimited.
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to verda13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #3785
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Heading to Europe in a couple weeks for 23 days.

I have an unlocked Iphone. Am I able to pick up a sim card for data use? Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #3786
redefined
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Heading to Europe in a couple weeks for 23 days.

I have an unlocked Iphone. Am I able to pick up a sim card for data use? Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks.
You should be able to, and with the new laws it should work for every country in Europe without having to pay extra roaming. If you happen to be starting in France I can recommend a company for you.
redefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #3787
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redefined View Post
You should be able to, and with the new laws it should work for every country in Europe without having to pay extra roaming. If you happen to be starting in France I can recommend a company for you.
I just so happen to land in Paris but were not leaving the Airport and spending the last 3 days in Paris... So if I can do it at Charles-de-Gaule.. Haha
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #3788
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Going to be in Lisbon for a couple days before we hit the Algaarve, any suggestions on where to stay and what to see?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #3789
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Going to be in Lisbon for a couple days before we hit the Algaarve, any suggestions on where to stay and what to see?
I too am hitting the Algaarve. Staying in Porto a couple days first though.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #3790
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: randomrectangleland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Heading to Europe in a couple weeks for 23 days.

I have an unlocked Iphone. Am I able to pick up a sim card for data use? Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks.
Find a mobile shop nearest your first destination and pick one up. I just got 5GB (30 days) sims two weeks ago in the UK (Three Mobility) for 15 pounds. They'll work all over europe.

Maybe research the best companies/coverage for the area if you're going to be in one spot for a longer period than others.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #3791
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

You may want to grab this and hit up the highlights:


https://www.lisboacard.org/


Not sure if it has changed but it is a bit of a pain to pick up. Make sure you have a print out before you go, we did not and they will ONLY accept paper, so we had to hunt for a print shop. Wasted a half a day running around sorting it out.


The Belem tower is neat to see, but busy. Maybe try to time your visit. The Padrão dos Descobrimentos is just down the road. The Jerónimos Monastery is also very near. You take the tram from the main are over here. Be warned, it is a bit confusing, and subject to massive delays. We ended up getting off and walking back after it hit a vehicle. Traffic is horrible in Lisbon, but the metro is great. Unfortunately it doesn't always go where you want.


Ride up to the Castelo de S. Jorge on one of the ricekty street cars, it's a fun experience, then walk down and stop at a cafe on the way back down. The whole plaza area is a bit pushy with people to get you in their restaurants, and it all felt kinda meh. I wouldn't spend a lot of time in the area, but it is where most of the transit gathers.


If you want to get away from the crowds and like museums, this is an interesting one:
Museu Calouste Gulbenkian


Where in the Algaarve are you going? Renting a car?
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #3792
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

What are your experiences and advice on not prebooking hotels and instead booking at your destination for better prices? We’ve traditionally booked in advance but, for example, if we’re driving around we could either phone enroute or stop at a hotel and see what’s available, perhaps to take advantage if they have empty rooms. I know some people book at the destination and negotiate the price down. What do you suggest?

We like B&Bs and that strategy probably doesn’t work for those.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:29 PM   #3793
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Knalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What are your experiences and advice on not prebooking hotels and instead booking at your destination for better prices? We’ve traditionally booked in advance but, for example, if we’re driving around we could either phone enroute or stop at a hotel and see what’s available, perhaps to take advantage if they have empty rooms. I know some people book at the destination and negotiate the price down. What do you suggest?

We like B&Bs and that strategy probably doesn’t work for those.

My experiences has been mostly positive. In fact, until a few years ago, I never booked ahead, and got along mostly fine. Had some expensive hotels during some summer roadtrips through mountain tourist hotspots, so I started booking, but especially during the offseason, no problems to speak of.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #3794
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
My experiences has been mostly positive. In fact, until a few years ago, I never booked ahead, and got along mostly fine. Had some expensive hotels during some summer roadtrips through mountain tourist hotspots, so I started booking, but especially during the offseason, no problems to speak of.
Your process?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #3795
GP_Matt
First Line Centre
 
GP_Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Edmonton
Exp:
Default

It depends a lot on the area you are going to and the season.
In Hong Kong, there are airport kiosks to book hotels at that get pretty crazy deals. They call a bunch of hotels and negotiate for you. Or at least they did.

Other places, I have had the best luck when I leave someone outside of the hotel with the luggage and go in to ask about their best rate then negotiate. Try a few hotels in the area and you should get a good deal. Bringing in your luggage makes you look desperate and reluctant to leave.

I have found in Canada that calling the hotel directly doesn't seem to yield more than a few dollars off the online rate.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #3796
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You may want to grab this and hit up the highlights:


https://www.lisboacard.org/


Not sure if it has changed but it is a bit of a pain to pick up. Make sure you have a print out before you go, we did not and they will ONLY accept paper, so we had to hunt for a print shop. Wasted a half a day running around sorting it out.


The Belem tower is neat to see, but busy. Maybe try to time your visit. The Padrão dos Descobrimentos is just down the road. The Jerónimos Monastery is also very near. You take the tram from the main are over here. Be warned, it is a bit confusing, and subject to massive delays. We ended up getting off and walking back after it hit a vehicle. Traffic is horrible in Lisbon, but the metro is great. Unfortunately it doesn't always go where you want.


Ride up to the Castelo de S. Jorge on one of the ricekty street cars, it's a fun experience, then walk down and stop at a cafe on the way back down. The whole plaza area is a bit pushy with people to get you in their restaurants, and it all felt kinda meh. I wouldn't spend a lot of time in the area, but it is where most of the transit gathers.

Staying just outside Albufeira as a base. May be renting a car, haven’t decided yet.

If you want to get away from the crowds and like museums, this is an interesting one:
Museu Calouste Gulbenkian


Where in the Algaarve are you going? Renting a car?
Staying in between Albufeira and Vilamoura as a base. Haven’t decided on a car yet. We’ve been told Uber works fine, but others say we should.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #3797
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Driving is pretty easy there. We stayed in Lagos and rented one near the end of our stay to do a few day trips and drove to Lisbon where we ditched it.


I think if you have the time, you'd be missing out if you didn't drive to the westmost point where the lighthouse is, and just east of there, the fort remnants where Henry the Navigator was based.


http://www.algarve-tourist.com/Sagre...gres-fort.html


The rocky coasts are really amazing if you are into Geology, and the raw western winds are powerful.



Further up the coast some of the beaches are gorgeous like Praia do Amado(surfing) and Praia Da Bordeira.



Lagos is great too, go to the dock and pay a fisherman to take you out around the point for an hour. Or drive to the end of the point and walk around the trails.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #3798
tete
Powerplay Quarterback
 
tete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Sintra is a cool town outside of Lisbon - home of the summer palaces, there are some beautiful homes to tour there.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #3799
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

As someone who doesn't know too much about tech.. If I pop in a new sim in Europe with data, will I be able to use me iMessage to message people? Or will it come up as a different name?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #3800
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
As someone who doesn't know too much about tech.. If I pop in a new sim in Europe with data, will I be able to use me iMessage to message people? Or will it come up as a different name?

iMessage is tied to your Apple account, so it will still show up as you to other iOS users. If you use SMS it will show up as the new phone number.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016