Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #2001
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You can pretend that in Alberta we had more than two choices for government if you would like.
Why would I need to pretend?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #2002
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Our salaries are dictated by the market and software engineers are in demand all over the world so it forces us to be very competitive to retain quality people. That is how salaries work.

Well, it's how salaries work so long as you're not talking about the public sector.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #2003
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Well, it's how salaries work so long as you're not talking about the public sector.

true dat. it's a two class system.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #2004
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I thanked Kenney for giving us a lil more cash to play with! Let me put it in terms you can understand - Raise the minimum wage and people will spend more which is good for the economy - the same logic is at play here. But of course, some people will some people won't. You can't cherry pick cases that support your narrative.
Gold

Quote:
PM me or look at the job sites.
I’m not looking for work I’m just trying to help out some fellow cpers who may be down on their luck. By all means please post a link to your company’s job ads so we can help your company find some candidates. One would think with your company doubling their workforce you should certainly be able to share at least a few.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #2005
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Gold

I’m not looking for work I’m just trying to help out some fellow cpers who may be down on their luck. By all means please post a link to your company’s job ads so we can help your company find some candidates. One would think with your company doubling their workforce you should certainly be able to share at least a few.
Why is it gold? i am just presenting you with the other side of the coin dude. Like i said some will spend it and some won't - hiring people aren't isn't the only good end result of a corporate tax break.

All here

https://ca.indeed.com/Software-Devel...in-Calgary,-AB
Old 10-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #2006
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why is it gold? i am just presenting you with the other side of the coin dude. Like i said some will spend it and some won't - hiring people aren't isn't the only good end result of a corporate tax break.
It’s gold because you’re cherry picking a case to support your narrative while stating that people can’t do that.

Yes it looks as though all the software developer jobs in the city are there, which ones are for your company?
Old 10-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #2007
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you think public sector workers get hired? Just a bunch of high school dropouts presenting fake credentials? Generations of ####ty employees hiring other ####ty employees? Jack hiring John as a personal favour?

Two of the most intelligent, diligent and professionally accomplished people I know would be ‘public sector’. I’m genuinely curious if you think their line of worn just fell into their lap due to incompetence.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #2008
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A simple, hey that’s awesome .. Kenneys tax break is being put to good use.. nope you just can’t do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #2009
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/terry_truchan/st...415752704?s=21

Yeah Conservatives are all about Public Education!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #2010
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I work in the public sector and it was far and away the longest and most difficult job interview I've ever had. Top that off with the number of applicants and the fact I got offered the position may as well have been a unicorn
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #2011
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
https://twitter.com/terry_truchan/st...415752704?s=21

Yeah Conservatives are all about Public Education!

Would like to know what it meant by “alternative programming” before grabbing the pitchfork. Is that like French Immersion or GATE or things like that?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #2012
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A simple, hey that’s awesome .. Kenneys tax break is being put to good use.. nope you just can’t do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey jobs are great! I’d be happy to give Kenney’s policies credit for any jobs they create. I’ve asked you repeatedly for some evidence to support your position that these new jobs are a direct result of his policies but all you’ve managed to come up with for an argument is that these jobs were created while his policies have been in effect so by default they must be a direct result. Guess what Mel, jobs were created before his policies were implemented, and jobs have also been lost while his policies have been in effect(husky this week).
Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #2013
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Never said that tax break alone was enough to double the workforce. Never said that at all. But it reduces your expenses and frees up a bit of money to expand more, even 1 person goes a long way. Our salaries are dictated by the market and software engineers are in demand all over the world so it forces us to be very competitive to retain quality people. That is how salaries work. On the flip side we get 100s of Resumes for Customer Service Reps - so guess what they probably get undervalued in a market with tons of people just looking for anything. A strong economy is good for everyone. For every Husky laying off people, there are dozens of companies putting a tax break to good use.
Freeing up a bit of money for corportations...while not a bad thing...is not a recipe for a resilient economy. And if you are in the tech sector you know that cutting the investor tax credit and cutting funding to Universities is counter productive to a knowledge based economy.

No sale Mel...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #2014
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The NDP did.

It was the Carbon Tax.

It cost them the election.

Then the idiots who took power decided to get rid of it when the political cost had already been paid.
No...the carbon tax is a tax on carbon and the funds raised went to specific policies & programs. And it was a Provincial solution or a Federal one...

A sales tax is a tax on consumption and could be used anywhere....

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #2015
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Hey jobs are great! I’d be happy to give Kenney’s policies credit for any jobs they create. I’ve asked you repeatedly for some evidence to support your position that these new jobs are a direct result of his policies but all you’ve managed to come up with for an argument is that these jobs were created while his policies have been in effect so by default they must be a direct result. Guess what Mel, jobs were created before his policies were implemented, and jobs have also been lost while his policies have been in effect(husky this week).
Simple math - like elementary math....Company figures it's short 10 staff..only has room in the budget for 8 staff over x amount of time... the company gets a tax break! The company decides to hire the 10 staff over x amount of time. Company wins! And it should not have to be the said, but not all companies are that scenario.

Again I said double over the next year... not all job posting are out. And you're asking for private information. You need a job PM me.

Husky is a result of the NDP curtailment, which Kenney still has in place.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #2016
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
And if you are in the tech sector you know that cutting the investor tax credit and cutting funding to Universities is counter productive to a knowledge based economy.

No sale Mel...

I wasn't talking about those announcements, but since you asked. The investor tax credit is a cluster ####. Prefer the (SR&ED) Program.

Universities - Get with the times, you are so far behind, you do not do a good job to prepare students for software engineering in the cloud economy. machine learning, and data science. That also where Oil n Gas is headed too...data is king and business intelligence is the new big thing.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #2017
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC
Out of curiosity, how do you think public sector workers get hired? Just a bunch of high school dropouts presenting fake credentials? Generations of ####ty employees hiring other ####ty employees? Jack hiring John as a personal favour?

Two of the most intelligent, diligent and professionally accomplished people I know would be ‘public sector’. I’m genuinely curious if you think their line of worn just fell into their lap due to incompetence.

I was being facetious that the same mentality to justify why private sector wages are important to attract and retain quality people are so often forgotten when it comes to public sector compensation.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #2018
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I’m just so ducking frustrated that Albertans could have no deficit if they implemented the lowest sales tax in Canada...but would rather slash economic diversification initiatives and social services. It’s so ducking counterproductive.
I think the corporate tax cut was probably a mistake, but I don't think spending government money on economic diversification initiatives has historically been that successful. Haven't basically all of the big diversification initiatives been boondoggles?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #2019
Corral
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, and austerity for the rest of us. This is the exact MO of every conservative government around the world, and it's what Scheer would have done on a national level had he won. The amount of people that vote for right wing parties and then wonder why their situation hasn't improved absolutely baffles me
Most people unfortunately are easily fooled with deception and fat white guys who pretend to be cowboys in shiny new f150s.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #2020
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Most people unfortunately are easily fooled with deception and fat white guys who pretend to be cowboys in shiny new f150s.
Saw a fat brown guy pretending to be a cowboy in a shiny new f150 today. World view rocked.