Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #81
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driving it in the winter is definitely doable, but like Sliver said, the operating costs might make it prohibitive. Parts for those cars are probably hard to come by.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #82
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're probably all right, but screw you for crushing my dreams with your logic.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #83
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Ha, I think I'd try to be a little bit more careful, but good to know.
lol yeah I wonder why it kept breaking down, eh? One other time I was driving with misterpants by the UofC and the wiring harness began smoking after some hard driving and started shorting stuff out. Fortunately my dad had lent it to my brother that time. I had scooped it while he slept and then returned the hobbled car before he woke up so that one didn't get pinned on me. $1000
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #84
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Possibly, but keep in mind that the 911 has the engine in the back, so this RWD is actually pretty stable on snow. I'd probably keep my beater just in case though.

Having to base a car decision on the climate is really annoying, Canada.
I don't doubt YOUR ability to navigate this vehicle safely throughout the winter, it's the idiots and ######s that forget how to drive the second the first snowflake falls that I'd be worried about. That, and the city's attitude on not sweeping the streets until they're really, really sure that there's gonna be no more snow.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #85
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for some help and this thread seems appropriate. Last night my car and my girlfriends car got keyed. Both have a long, though rather light key scratch from the driver side mirror to the gas tank.

What should I do about this? Is there a home kit I can purchase or am I best to bring it to an auto-body shop? I don't wanna pay too much so as long as there isn't a huge risk in screwing up via home repair I would be up for doing it myself. What's an average cost at an auto-body shop for a job like this?

Thanks

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #86
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crappy to hear that. I had my car keyed by some jealous punk a few years ago. Cost me about $800 for the door panel to be refinished. Depending on how deep the cut is (ie just in the clear coat), they may be able to touch up clear coat and buff it out without a refinishing job.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #87
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who do that should be shot. There are few things that irk me more than messing with other people's property like that.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #88
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Unless the car you're buying is not worth much, always get it inspected. Always. Especially from a dealer. You can also learn a great deal from the seller by judging their reaction to your request that you'd like a mechanic to look at the car before you buy.
Hey Zamler - Does this also hold true for a vehicle which is backed by a dealer's 'certified' program, such as GM's Optimum program?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #89
woob
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, need some input on this please. I found a GM Optimum Certified 2004 Mazda Tribute DX that looked clean and was in good shape. I asked the dealership for a CarProof and received one which all checks out, no accidents, etc. He also sent me details about work that was done on the vehicle in December which includes new tires (BF Goodrich Long Trails), new rear brakes, new windshield, front sway bar links, front brake hoses, rear drums and shoes. Drove the vehicle and it drives nice, brakes well, everything works. V6, auto, AWD, etc. The vehicle has 131,000 KM on it.

Vehicle was listed for $9900 which I thought was way too much so I offered $7300. Got a reply today and the guys say's it's mine for $7300 plus tax. This totally threw me off as I was expecting to haggle back and forth! Now, I'm wondering why they took the offer so fast? The one thing is the vehicle HAS been on the lot since December of 2010, so they're probably just wanting to get rid of it.

Anyways, thoughts on this? I still think $7300 is a good value. The Vehicle is GM Optimuim certified so it comes with 30 day exchange and 5000KM warranty. Still thrown off though haha.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #90
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ what does the internet say the going market price is for 2004 tributes?

if you feel alright about paying $7,300 then it is likely the right price. despite the warranty and whatnot i'd still take it to be looked at by a third party just for peace of mind - it should cost about $100 to have it inspected.

the part of buying a vehicle that i hate is settling on the price.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #91
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
What should I do about this? Is there a home kit I can purchase or am I best to bring it to an auto-body shop?
you can try some polishing compound work with a small area and see how the scratch reacts - the compound might work if the scratch is not too deep...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #92
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

My old jeep smells a little dank. Sort of a wet mildew smell.

Is there a product to blast it out myself, including the vents? I just don't want to pay someone a bucket of money if I don't have to.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #93
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ there is some stuff that you can buy at can tire that you spray into your fresh air intake and it circulates through your interior heating/cooling system that can take the edge off of any smells coming from the interior heating/coooling systems.

otherwise you can try using some carpet shampoo/carpet deoderizing powder and giving the beast a thorough cleaning - maybe there is an old sandwhich under your seat.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #94
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ there is some stuff that you can buy at can tire that you spray into your fresh air intake and it circulates through your interior heating/cooling system that can take the edge off of any smells coming from the interior heating/coooling systems.

otherwise you can try using some carpet shampoo/carpet deoderizing powder and giving the beast a thorough cleaning - maybe there is an old sandwhich under your seat.
Rented a carpet cleaner last weekend. Took out all the seats and gave the whole thing a good shampoo. Now I'm looking to attack the vents.

Is Canadian Tire the best place to go find a product? What about this ozone treatment I read about online...is there a product to do that or is that more about paying someone for the service?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #95
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any ideas for getting rid of an annoying squeak in my dashboard? Maybe I'd have to dismantle the whole thing to find it.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #96
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey Zamler - Does this also hold true for a vehicle which is backed by a dealer's 'certified' program, such as GM's Optimum program?
It's your call. What is the value of the car? Just keep in mind that even if you have a warranty, having to take the car in over and over again is a time waster at best, and the problems may very well continue after the warranty is up. It also depends on the dealer, I've seen pre-certified cars that were absolutely never looked at, and I've seen pre-certified cars that were really nice and mechanically flawless.

I'll give you an example, I looked at a car that came with a warranty and supposedly an "exhaustive" mechanical checkup. The suspension had a broken coil spring. Was it missed? I highly doubt it, the car was never inspected IMO.

I maintain it is never a bad thing to have an independent party look at the car as well. I really helps if it's with a mechanic you trust.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #97
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
My old jeep smells a little dank. Sort of a wet mildew smell.
Did you find any wet areas of the carpet before you cleaned it? Also make sure the A/C drain is not clogged, it's generally a little hose/outlet near the passenger side wheel well.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #98
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Canadian Tire the best place to go find a product? What about this ozone treatment I read about online...is there a product to do that or is that more about paying someone for the service?
I'd think that any auto parts store that carries a decent selection of auto chemicals would have this stuff to make your interior heating/cooling system smell better (sorry can't think of the name of the stuff)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #99
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Any ideas for getting rid of an annoying squeak in my dashboard? Maybe I'd have to dismantle the whole thing to find it.
Ugh, these can be a pain to track down. Try looking around the dash and tightening all the screws you can find. You could also try and isolate the sound and try and put some type of insulating material between the parts swirling (you can use that foam tape that is sticky on side - available atCT)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #100
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rented a carpet cleaner last weekend. Took out all the seats and gave the whole thing a good shampoo. Now I'm looking to attack the vents.

There is also cabin air filter you should probably change. Pretty easy to do yourself depending on what type if jeep. KJ, ZJ, TJ, YJ, XJ...?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote