Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Maybe we see something similar for Tkachuk:

$6.00M in years 1, 2, & 3
$9.00M in year 4

4 Years @ $6.75M AAV

Giordano's contract expires at the end of 2021/22.
Tkachuk becomes the highest paid Flame the following season, 2022/23, @ $9M.

What would his QO need to be at the end of the deal?
He would be a UFA at the end of a 4 year deal. He won't be signed to a 4 year deal.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He would be a UFA at the end of a 4 year deal. He won't be signed to a 4 year deal.
Tkachuk would be an RFA at the end of a four-year deal

Five years takes Tkachuk to UFA

edit: capfriendly is being really weird today and after further investigation i'm not 100% sure if this is actually true
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staples, Edmonton Journal
Holland made transactions which have been a net positive for the Oilers, including his massive, massive, massive Grade A trade of Milan Lucic to the Calgary Flames for James Neal.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger
 
Lord Carnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tkachuk would be an RFA at the end of a four-year deal

Five years takes Tkachuk to UFA
No, I think 4 years does it...

3-year entry contract, plus a 4-year second contract, would be 7 years total, and UFA status. A 4-year contract will NEVER happen.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tkachuk would be an RFA at the end of a four-year deal
How do you figure?

He already has 3 accrued seasons and would qualify for UFA status after 7 accrued seasons.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #25
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

That's honestly not a terrible idea or AAV. It's pretty similar to the Timo Meier deal. I'd do that if I were Treliving. EDIT: Although not if it makes him a UFA, as described above, so... never mind.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa
Exp:
Default

Yeah I was playing around with Capfriendly's long-term outlook tool in Armchair-GM and it showed Tkachuk still being an RFA at the end of a four-year deal but then I plugged in a five-year deal and it still showed him being an RFA so I'm led to believe that's just bad software.

After checking the CBA you both are correct (getbak and Lord Carnage). I honestly just forgot the 7-year requirement for some reason
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staples, Edmonton Journal
Holland made transactions which have been a net positive for the Oilers, including his massive, massive, massive Grade A trade of Milan Lucic to the Calgary Flames for James Neal.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #27
bax
First Line Centre
 
bax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am starting to believe that Tkachuk sign a one year contract, and wait for next year when the Flames will have all the cap they need.
That's just too risky for the player IMO. 1 or 2 years is off the board, but I could see anything from 3-8 years happening, save for 4
.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
After checking the CBA you both are correct (getbak and Lord Carnage). I honestly just forgot the 7-year requirement for some reason
lolwut?

Are you trying to convince us that you just picked up a copy of the CBA to work to confirm Tkachuk's RFA status?
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
lolwut?

Are you trying to convince us that you just picked up a copy of the CBA to work to confirm Tkachuk's RFA status?
The CBA is online and it's in my bookmarks bar, so yes?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA...A_2013_CBA.pdf

Quote:
10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents.
(a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents.
(i) Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age
or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent
SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such
League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted
Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an
SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and
sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being
subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any
other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staples, Edmonton Journal
Holland made transactions which have been a net positive for the Oilers, including his massive, massive, massive Grade A trade of Milan Lucic to the Calgary Flames for James Neal.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-09-2019 at 10:20 AM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #30
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher
 
The Fonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Exp:
Default

Scrap that then - I was under the impression that 5 years was required to get Tkachuk to UFA.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #31
stang
CP's Fraser Crane
 
stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
lolwut?

Are you trying to convince us that you just picked up a copy of the CBA to work to confirm Tkachuk's RFA status?
Its online.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #32
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up
 
Scroopy Noopers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ontario, unfortunately.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
lolwut?

Are you trying to convince us that you just picked up a copy of the CBA to work to confirm Tkachuk's RFA status?
Getting tired of the same posters grinding the same axe over and over.

Be useful, and don’t put others down who are being useful.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #33
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere in Time
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
That's just too risky for the player IMO. 1 or 2 years is off the board, but I could see anything from 3-8 years happening, save for 4
.
Why is one or two years risky?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Why is one or two years risky?
Injuries. Significant off years (imagine if Neal signed a one year deal - how much would he make over the next four?)
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #35
ben voyonsdonc
First Line Centre
 
ben voyonsdonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The CBA is online and it's in my bookmarks bar, so yes?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA...A_2013_CBA.pdf
I have to appreciate a guy with a link the CBA in his bookmarks. That's dedication.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #36
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000
 
Toonage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

^ Working to confirm wasn't just a fun catchphrase.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #37
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa
Exp:
Default

when you're as consistently wrong/forgetful as I am, you need a handy failsafe
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staples, Edmonton Journal
Holland made transactions which have been a net positive for the Oilers, including his massive, massive, massive Grade A trade of Milan Lucic to the Calgary Flames for James Neal.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #38
The Cobra
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Exp:
Default

I didn't really consider Werenski as one of the true premium RFA's and never expected that he would get the same type of contract as Marner, Laine, Tkachuk etc.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #39
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Why is one or two years risky?
The one year deal to sign a big deal next year to help this year's cap situation is mostly a fan invention that never happens with star players.

Major injuries would be the biggest concern, also players and they're agents tend to be very business like in getting contracts and rarely help the team even though they want them to win a cup.

Tkachuk is eligible for about as much as you could possibly imagine coming off an amazing first few years and specifically last season. His list of cons for a one year deal are

- Natural dip in production (very possible)
- Minor injury hurting next year's totals (very possible)
- Medium injury really hurting next year's totals and possibly casting questions of reoccurrence depending on injury (possible)
-Major injury writing off year, leaving big questions about lingering effects upon returning and the rest of career (slightly possible but not huge chance)
career threatening injury (not very possible, but still there)

The list of pros is

- Helps the guy he's negotiating with


There's a reason you rarely see this and almost never with stars.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The one year deal to sign a big deal next year to help this year's cap situation is mostly a fan invention that never happens with star players.

Major injuries would be the biggest concern, also players and they're agents tend to be very business like in getting contracts and rarely help the team even though they want them to win a cup.

Tkachuk is eligible for about as much as you could possibly imagine coming off an amazing first few years and specifically last season. His list of cons for a one year deal are

- Natural dip in production (very possible)
- Minor injury hurting next year's totals (very possible)
- Medium injury really hurting next year's totals and possibly casting questions of reoccurrence depending on injury (possible)
-Major injury writing off year, leaving big questions about lingering effects upon returning and the rest of career (slightly possible but not huge chance)
career threatening injury (not very possible, but still there)

The list of pros is

- Helps the guy he's negotiating with


There's a reason you rarely see this and almost never with stars.
The only way it happens is if the AAV is very high ensuring a high QO for the next deal. So 1 year $8 million or something like that to provide the security for the next contract or you get to be UFA.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016