Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #8601
Lumby Lager
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
On the topic of donuts, Safeway can produce some excellent quality donuts at reasonable prices.
One of the only places left on our continent that actually still uses a deep fryer!
They are soooo much better when proofed and fried.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #8602
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The HOV lanes in Kelowna on highway 97.

oh my goodness YES!!!!

how stupid are they??? who puts the hov lane in the far right lane? makes no sense! sooo dumb!!!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #8603
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I guess, just seems like we covered it in the 20 page Great Breakfast Sandwich/Bagel/Coffee Debate of July 2019.
Is there HOCKEY? No. There is not HOCKEY. Therefore, we will continue to cycle through ALL of the topics again and again and again until there is HOCKEY.

GODDAMNIT WHY won't THE SEASON START ALREADY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
It's like losing a game of tic-tac-toe to a lobotomized chicken.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #8604
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Is there HOCKEY? No. There is not HOCKEY. Therefore, we will continue to cycle through ALL of the topics again and again and again until there is HOCKEY.

Waaah!!! The season is too long!!

"The off-season is too long!!!"

Theres no pleasing people.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #8605
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post

Borrowed a utility trailer yesterday, and needed wiring harness adapter.
Read this as you needed to borrow a trailer to go buy your wiring harness adapter. Could not figure out what that was and why you needed a trailer to haul it.

Reading comprehension for the win.

p.s. I completely agree with the rest of your post. I also find when I do go into a store looking for something that the staff is so indifferent or rude I wonder why I bother.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #8606
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Waaah!!! The season is too long!!

"The off-season is too long!!!"

Theres no pleasing people.
See, those are the people we kill, maim mock mercilessly as keyboard warriors!! (Yeah, thats the ticket) You, me and ResAlien with Captain as our leader. We could make a big dent I bet.
Quote:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #8607
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post

There is hockey. I've watched two full games already. One in person.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #8608
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I constantly hear this and I'm confused by this. I often hear this from people who shop with Amazon, but I seriously wonder how many people actually try to return things. Amazon generally waives the return/restocking fee on a regular basis for prime members, but rarely do that for regular members.

Return is actually far less painless than many other brick and mortar stores IMO and Amazon is pretty lenient, so far less pain than the average online shopping store experience. You merely put the stuff back in the box it came in, tape it up with the label you print off and drop it off at any mail box or Canada Post location if it doesn't fit into the mail box.

I return things back to Amazon all the time (not to be confused with an A to Z Amazon claim) and I've never been charged a dime for restocking as Amazon pays for the return shipping. I buy a lot from the warehouse and return a lot of things that aren't performing as expected or more damaged than described. I do not exploit the return policy, but I use it quite regularly (ie: 5% of all orders per year and I easily make 10-15 orders a month on average).

So my previous experience goes back to 2016 (I checked my email) for a phone armband that ended up being the wrong size. I filled ou the request to return the thing to Amazon and I printed out the slip and dropped it off at Canada Post outlet. They ened up deducting the shipping cost from a $12.99 product, and returned something like $2 back to my CC. I read more closely just now, and it looks like the policy is if its your fault, you pay shipping, if its their fault, they pay the shipping. Maybe its also different if you have Amazon Prime or something too, which I don't.

... don't ask about the cat leash. My kids want to take the cat on walks.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #8609
DoubleF
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
oh my goodness YES!!!!

how stupid are they??? who puts the hov lane in the far right lane? makes no sense! sooo dumb!!!
I generally go to Kelowna with others, so having 2+ isn't a big deal, but it is quite confusing how the HOV lane is on the right. I get confused at times if I should let a guy into the HOV lane so that he/she can turn. It's not like you're allowed in the lane (HOV) until you turn, but it also feels like the other driver is cutting me off even though he/she doesn't really have a choice...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #8610
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I read more closely just now, and it looks like the policy is if its your fault, you pay shipping, if its their fault, they pay the shipping. Maybe its also different if you have Amazon Prime or something too, which I don't.
Same with prime. If you just don't like it, you pay. If it's not as described/defective they cover it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #8611
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
oh my goodness YES!!!!

Quote:
I generally go to Kelowna with others, so having 2+ isn't a big deal, but it is quite confusing how the HOV lane is on the right. I get confused at times if I should let a guy into the HOV lane so that he/she can turn. It's not like you're allowed in the lane (HOV) until you turn, but it also feels like the other driver is cutting me off even though he/she doesn't really have a choice...
Honestly I just ignore it most of the time. Highway 97 is the least patrolled road in history anyways. According to a Kelowna police office I know, itís because itís a provincial highway so all revenue from tickets goes to the province instead of the city so cops are actually disincentivized from taking radar or checking the HOV lanes.

But beyond the idiocy of being on the right hand side, everything about it is stupid. Itís a jam packed highway with no room for expansion. It is not primarily a commuter road, which is where HOV lanes should be placed, like on the freeways in LA.

No one driving from Vernon to Vancouver for work is going to carpool to save 30 minutes going thru a 20km stretch in Kelowna. But it ruins it for everyone and causes major backups.

Absolutely nothing about the HOV lane does what it is supposed to. It just slows up an already terrible stretch of highway. Public transit isnít a viable option for commuters because Kelowna is way too spread out and way too small to have sufficient service. No one travelling is going to go out of their way to carpool because thatís not feasible. And no one who is going shopping at any of the hundreds of businesses along 97 is going to carpool. Who carpools to go buy cat food? Itís beyond idiotic.

HOV lanes work on roads that are primarily commuter roads with people going from suburbs to the inner city. Thatís maybe 25% of 97 traffic, rendering it completely useless.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #8612
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It is indeed a bit annoying. $0.12 per litre is like less than $10 per tank for van though.

I was in Portland last week and within a 20 minute drive, I saw $2.77 per gallon and $3.79 per gallon. The van I was driving has a 20 ish gallon tank and I was topping up 10-15 gallons each time, so that's a pretty extreme difference per tank, especially when factoring the numbers are in USD. Is this normal?
(I generally paid around $3.10 per gallon until I stumbled upon the $2.77 price point on the last day)
Speaking as someone who lives here, yes it's pretty normal. I've got two gas stations within three blocks of my place with a 39 cent price different (one is $2.76, the other $3.15. Generally stay away from gas stations directly off on interstates or near downtown and it shouldn't be too bad. But looking around the metro area, the range is currently $2.67 to $3.99.

My favorite, near the Intel Ronler Acres campus just off of US-26, there's a Chevron just off the highway that's currently $3.59. Almost literally next door is a Fred Meyer gas station $0.82 cheaper at $2.77.

It's not annoying if you know the area but I can see how it'd be frustrating for a traveler.

(Interactive map with Portland Gas Prices here: https://www.kgw.com/gas-prices)
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #8613
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed that last month down there.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #8614
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine people that live in Kelowna may see a difference at rush hour times but everytime I drive that road, the other lanes are busy and there's barely anyone in the HOV lane.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #8615
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Getting kids ready on school picture day.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #8616
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Getting kids ready on school picture day.
"If When you commit a felony this is the photograph of you they are going to show on the news....try and make it so people dont just assume you're guilty."
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #8617
Canadianman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post

Later that day, I needed some grolsch-style bottles. Great - there's a home brew place nearby. Not only is it virtually impossible to find (apparently it's in the back of an Italian market, with nothing but a tiny sign in the window even indicating it's there) - but the market is closed from 13:30 to 15:30. What business closes for 25% of the day?
If you aren't getting your grolsch bottles at a bottle depot for $0.25 a bottle, you are doing it wrong. People try to sell those things online for a couple of dollars each, when they are not worth anything more than their return value.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #8618
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
If you aren't getting your grolsch bottles at a bottle depot for $0.25 a bottle, you are doing it wrong. People try to sell those things online for a couple of dollars each, when they are not worth anything more than their return value.
Do you just stand outside the bottle depot and be like

Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #8619
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
That seems like more of a fata-around than trying to buy local.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #8620
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
oh my goodness YES!!!!

Isn't it for the buses that typically do drop off s and pickups on the right-side of the road? It's the same in Calgary along Centre St. I also presume that since there are so many left-turn opportunities aong Hwy97 that it would just clog a leftmost HOV lane and nobody would use it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote