Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #441
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Ricky Ponting couldn't do it, Steve Smith couldn't do it.

Tim Paine did it!
Technically Smith never captained in England. It was Michael Clarke in 2015.

The point still stands though. A 34 year old journey man keeper, who is hardly a fan favourite and was vilified after Headingley, just accomplished something a couple of the greats of Aussie cricket never have. Incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
This was the first time I watched a test match for any length of time. I respect the hell out of the strategy that goes into it, but give me T20 any day.
Test matches and T20s are both awesome for different reasons. I was finding ODIs pointless since why do we need two forms of limited overs cricket. The excitement of the world cup has started to change my mind on this though.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #442
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Technically Smith never captained in England. It was Michael Clarke in 2015.

The point still stands though. A 34 year old journey man keeper, who is hardly a fan favourite and was vilified after Headingley, just accomplished something a couple of the greats of Aussie cricket never have. Incredible!

Test matches and T20s are both awesome for different reasons. I was finding ODIs pointless since why do we need two forms of limited overs cricket. The excitement of the world cup has started to change my mind on this though.
During the world cup, West Indies great Michael Holding made a comment that I really enjoyed:
"These guys (Young West Indies batsmen) are used to going out and hitting 45 off 30 balls and someone slaps you on the back and says Good job man. But that's not real cricket", his point being that these players are so focused on the T20 game that they dont know how to play the more patient game which is necessary in ODI and test cricket.

I think T20 can be fun but for me the real excitement in cricket is in the strategy and skill, which both fall by the wayside on T20 in favour of just giving it a bash. As Micael Holding alluded to, there is no real consequence for playing recklessly and no reward for patience.

Last edited by Party Elephant; 09-10-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #443
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Just watch the fans during test matches, it is so nervewraking at key moments.

T20 is just for fun.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #444
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I like ODIs because they are a good balance between test and T20 - and yes, I know ODI came before T20. You get most of the strategy and patience required of a test, as Party Elephant likes, while still having a sense of urgency and a need to take risks.

I was really surprised to see that there is a Canadian T20 tournament right before the Caribbean league season. Would be fun to go see, and bit of a shame it's only played in Brampton.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #445
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Headline on my favourite kiwi cricket blog today:
"So, it was a draw in England but you had to watch the other team celebrate and lift the trophy? That must suck..."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #446
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha.

Well that had to be one of the most entertaining test series I’ve ever followed. It had everything. Too bad Australia couldn’t pull off the win but considering they were on the road, the team was in turmoil, and their opening batsmen did nothing I’ll take the tie and retained ashes. I can’t wait for November 2021 when they meet again!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #447
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Breaking today: ICC is changing the tiebreak rules for World Cup finals and semifinals, to ensure we don't have a repeat of this year's incident.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spor...rld-cup-final/

Quote:
Black Caps star Jimmy Neesham has poked fun at the ICC’s decision to change the super over final rule which saw England win the World Cup.

Neesham tweeted, “next on the agenda: Better binoculars for the Ice spotters on the Titanic” in a dig at the change that comes too later for the Black Caps.

Kane Williamson’s men were left heartbroken after a tie in the World Cup final super over, in which Neesham was one of the NZ batsman, saw England left the trophy because they scored more boundaries during the match.

The change will now see a super over in a final repeated until a team has more runs.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #448
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

About time they changed it. England didn't deserve to win on the basis of more boundaries.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #449
endeavor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Too little too late
endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #450
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Huge blow to Bangladesh cricket today as Shakib Al-Hasan is suspended for 2 years for not reporting match fixing approaches by bookies.

He is basically their only star player.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #451
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Southern Hemisphere cricket season is in full swing. Australia is absolutely crushing Pakistan in their test series. Dave Warner just put up a 335 not out.

Across the ditch New Zealand got World Cup and T20 revenge by smashing England in their first test. The second test looks to be headed for a draw which will be enough for the Kiwis.

Next up is a 3 match series between Australia and New Zealand.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #452
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are your thoughts on Paine's call to declare rather than let Warner press on for the world record?

Personally I think it was the right call, giving them enough time to get all 20 wickets. Especially in a championship game where all points matter, it has to be team before player. I have a strong dislike for Warner so that may be clouding my judgment. Would have been hilarious if they took him off on 299.

I am excited/nervous for the NZ series in Australia. NZ havent been flashy in test but they have been getting it done, not losing a series for multiple years now. A trip to Australia might be humbling though.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #453
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
What are your thoughts on Paine's call to declare rather than let Warner press on for the world record?

Personally I think it was the right call, giving them enough time to get all 20 wickets. Especially in a championship game where all points matter, it has to be team before player. I have a strong dislike for Warner so that may be clouding my judgment. Would have been hilarious if they took him off on 299.

I am excited/nervous for the NZ series in Australia. NZ havent been flashy in test but they have been getting it done, not losing a series for multiple years now. A trip to Australia might be humbling though.
I agree, right call. You set declarations around what you need to do to take 20 wickets, then you can make minor changes for milestones. Another hour doesn't sound like much, but with rain around, you want to go for the win which means leaving time
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #454
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was the right call. Getting the win is the first priority and finishing early to rest your bowlers is 2nd. Records come after that. Besides you have to put these test cricket records in context. A 334 not out leading to a win is just as impressive as an over 400 leading to a draw. Heck the best innings ever might just be the 135 not out Stokes put up to win at Headingley.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #455
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Black Caps are getting beaten up in Australia. The conditions have suited the hosts but I expected more from the 2nd ranked team.

Also the English are in South Africa and collapsed in their first innings.

Unless one of the other teams gets their act together and goes on a streak it is starting to look an Australia India Test Championship final is inevitable.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #456
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

England might chase this total down. 100/1 chasing 376

Old 01-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #457
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Kiwis will be happy to leave Australia after being swept losing by 296, 247, and 279 runs. The sad part is they put up a better fight than Pakistan. Overall the Aussie summer tests were very dull. At least India is visiting next year.

In the other test England is looking good to even their series at 1-1 after setting South Africa a target of 438. The Proteas sit 126/2 and will attempt to grind out a draw.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #458
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

on field microphones

https://twitter.com/user/status//1214700816877023232

Old 01-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #459
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out this epic catch from the BBL last night.

This was out by the rules but there has been a debate if a fielder should be allowed to play the ball after stepping outside the rope. I don’t have a problem with it but wouldn’t mind seeing catches where momentum take the fielder over the rope called out so you don’t have these scenarios.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #460
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Australia absolutely destroyed India in their first ODI. They beat 255 in the 38th over with all 10 wickets remaining. Warner and Finch were both not out with centuries. I don’t think I’ve ever seen India or pretty much any team get their ass kicked that badly.