Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #1501
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Honestly, do the majority of Albertan voters even care?
I don't think there is a single thing that has been posted in this thread since the election that you could credibly say the majority of Albertan voters care about. So, no.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #1502
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
Kenney's point is that if we were to prosecute people who feel the need to trespass onto private property to protest, they might be less likely to trespass in the future. Kenney probably could have left out the Putin part, but I don't see anything wrong with putting someone in prison for trespassing onto a offshore rig.

People are free to protest but if they resort to trespassing onto private property and endangering their lives and the lives of others (like those morons who trespassed at the Scotford upgrader in 2009) they should be punished accordinginly.
So what is Kenney proposing exactly? Alberta already has a Trespass to Premises Act. It creates an offence but only provides for fines as punishment. Kenney is uniquely well-positioned to amend that particular Act to provide for custodial sentences as a punishment. However, I haven't heard any statement that his majority government intends to amend that Act. All I've heard about is the "war room" and the public inquiry.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #1503
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't think there is a single thing that has been posted in this thread since the election that you could credibly say the majority of Albertan voters care about. So, no.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...pass-1.5077377

This article was before the election, but the law change happened afterwards.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #1504
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
So what is Kenney proposing exactly? Alberta already has a Trespass to Premises Act. It creates an offence but only provides for fines as punishment. Kenney is uniquely well-positioned to amend that particular Act to provide for custodial sentences as a punishment. However, I haven't heard any statement that his majority government intends to amend that Act. All I've heard about is the "war room" and the public inquiry.

He knows protesters in Alberta aren't the problem. He needs the federal government to be the one with the big stick since the protests causing issues aren't happening here.

Now Kenney was in a Cabinet of a government that had the power to do this at the federal level as well, but didn't. We could have had the feds locking people up in BC for ages had they been on top of things.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #1505
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
He knows protesters in Alberta aren't the problem. He needs the federal government to be the one with the big stick since the protests causing issues aren't happening here.

Now Kenney was in a Cabinet of a government that had the power to do this at the federal level as well, but didn't. We could have had the feds locking people up in BC for ages had they been on top of things.
Isn’t the presence of protesters a red herring.

Protesters haven’t stopped the construction of anything in Canada as a result of their protest. There aren’t any cases that I am aware of of a company saying that the protesters have affected construction efficiency so much that we can’t build this project.

Instead the protest brings public awareness to the issue which in turn pressures politicians to intervene in the project or gets more funding to support lawsuits against the project.

So protests don’t work in Russia becuase the government doesn’t cave and their is no court Mechanism for intervention in the process.

Canada could shoot all of the protesters and the identical outcomes on TMX would occur for better or worse. In fact from a protesting standpoint the more harshly the protestors are treated the more publicity it would generate. A hunger strike for imprisoned protestors is going to get a lot of news.

Last edited by GGG; 09-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #1506
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Isnít the presence of protesters a red herring.

Protesters havenít stopped the construction of anything in Canada as a result of their protest. There arenít any cases that I am aware of of a company saying that the protesters have affected construction efficiency so much that we canít build this project.

Instead the protest brings public awareness to the issue which in turn pressures politicians to intervene in the project or gets more funding to support lawsuits against the project.

So protests donít work in Russia becuase the government doesnít cave and their is no court Mechanism for intervention in the process.

Canada could shoot all of the protesters and the identical outcomes on TMX would occur for better or worse. In fact from a protesting standpoint the more harshly the protestors are treated the more publicity it would generate. A hunger strike for imprisoned protestors is going to get a lot of news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayoquot_protests

Well, not construction of, but destruction of.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #1507
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

As I read BC's Trespass Act and Offence Act, persons convicted of an offence under the Trespass Act may be punished by up to six months of custody.

I trust that most conservatives on this forum would find political meddling in the prosecution of trespassers in BC, Alberta or elsewhere to be totally inappropriate.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #1508
Corral
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best thing about all this bluster from the Cons is that these tactics undermine their legitimacy to govern and will be their downfall once again. I suppose they just canít suppress their authoritarian and ideological impulses.

Just glad it only took Jason a few months to pull the trigger on his true motives for seeking office.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #1509
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
The best thing about all this bluster from the Cons is that these tactics undermine their legitimacy to govern and will be their downfall once again. I suppose they just canít suppress their authoritarian and ideological impulses.

Just glad it only took Jason a few months to pull the trigger on his true motives for seeking office.
I mean, it's not blocking the RCMP from a criminal investigation, but whatever floats your boat I guess?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #1510
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I mean, it's not blocking the RCMP from a criminal investigation, but whatever floats your boat I guess?
Weird flex when the UCP is under a criminal investigation regarding an election with direct ties to the Premier, but ok.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #1511
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Weird flex when the UCP is under a criminal investigation regarding an election with direct ties to the Premier, but ok.
It's pretty sad that the bar to be cleared here is "don't actively try to hamper and impede the RCMP's investigation into your office's potentially criminal political activities". But it's sadder still that as between Jason Kenney's office and Trudeau's, only the former has managed to clear said bar.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #1512
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's pretty sad that the bar to be cleared here is "don't actively try to hamper and impede the RCMP's investigation into your office's potentially criminal political activities". But it's sadder still that as between Jason Kenney's office and Trudeau's, only the former has managed to clear said bar.
We're just so very lucky with the current leaders we've elected provincially and federally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #1513
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I should have added "... so far" to the end of my post. Would anyone be remotely shocked if news broke that Kenney's team were also trying to keep the RCMP from asking questions?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #1514
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think you could reasonably argue some things they've done have passively sought to hamper the investigation, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's been more direct than that.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #1515
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think you could reasonably argue some things they've done have passively sought to hamper the investigation, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's been more direct than that.
Such as?...

In the case of the UCP yes the people involved in the leadership campaigns are being investigated, but they are cooperating with the RCMP.

In the Trudeau Liberals case, they are being investigated by the RCMP but are not cooperating. Trudeau is blocking the RCMP from interviewing witnesses and withholding evidence from them under the guise of "cabinet confidentiality".
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #1516
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayoquot_protests

Well, not construction of, but destruction of.
That supports exactly what I wrote.

The protests didn’t stop the logging directly. The heavy handed response to the protestors galvanized public opinion and boycotts of BC forest products. The protest didn’t stop the logging a change in government policy did.

Changing how Canada deals with protestors only can enhance the effectiveness of protestors. Ergo the reason we can’t build pipelines has nothing to do with how we treat protestors.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #1517
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

2 days ago:
Storage of bodies in rented trailer leads to probe of medical examiner's space shortage
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...iner-1.5278243

this morning:
Alberta medical examiner's office may have lost 'culture of respect,' expert says for the dead
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...fice-1.5280395

CBC News has obtained internal OCME emails that show a staff member raised concerns with chief medical examiner Dr. Elizabeth Brooks-Lim about the propriety of storing bodies in a trailer.
In a Sept. 5 email, a staff person tells Brooks-Lim that if bodies are to be stored on the semi-trailer floor, "I feel that this might not be something that families will find acceptable. How do I approach this when speaking to families?"
In an email distributed to all OCME staff, Brooks-Lim responds: "The floor is clean, the bodies will be in body bags and the families do not need to be informed of the storage procedures."

The rear of the trailer, and the bodies inside, were in clear view from the street. A privacy screen has now been erected
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #1518
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the video I donít see the issue. Using a refrigerated trailer if you are over capacity in the short term seems like a good use of resources.

The people moving the body appear to be trying to show respect but having some difficulty because bodies are heavy and floppy.

I tend to agree with the medical examiner, families might be uncomfortable that a dead body is being stored like that, however itís a dead body and this isnít TV with the fancy morgue.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #1519
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they used a trailer with a lift, and had some counters to store them on so they weren't on the ground and could be moved onto a gurney, than ya, the truck isn't the end of the world. But just leaving them lying on the floor and dragging them is getting into disrespectful.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #1520
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really not a fan of how they are handling the school system. I know that this isn't just because of Kenney, it's been a slow burn issue but at what point can they start to right the ship?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/over-enro...8ukT-OvehfSf-8

I firmly believe the 2 things that we really shouldn't be making cuts from are healthcare and education. I'm all for looking to find ways to save some money in those areas, but once you find money the funding should stay with those sections and put to use.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote