Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Toyota Tacoma Tips and Dealer Recommendation

Thinking to purchase a Toyota Tacoma in next little while.

Any recommendations on a dealership in YYC area?

Any other Tacoma enthusiasts amongst us with tips in terms of which trim to consider, upgrades, and accessories?
(If it helps, my main activities are mountain biking and XC skiing)
Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic trucks; wish I still had one.

As with any new car purchase; figure out exactly what trim you want and how you want to buy it (Lease/Cash/Finance see -->(Unhaggle.com), then settle on a fair, but slightly aggressive opening price and send feelers out to each dealership's internet sales manager locally with an offer of your all-in, out the door price (lets they slice and dice internally how they like). All Toyota dealerships are pretty comparable for quick sales like that and you're not tied to get service done at the place you buy it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pm'd you
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does Heninger still offer free lifetime oil changes? or do they all do that now?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

have you considered buying a ford f-150?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a CP member who works at Charlesglen... they're the best IMO.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
lazy_programmer
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I know a CP member who works at Charlesglen... they're the best IMO.
Are the willing to negotiate? When I was car shopping years ago, they wouldn't move of MSRP.
lazy_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazy_programmer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love my 2013 Tacoma, I plan on keeping it as long as it keeps driving.

TRD is nice if you dont want to do any modifications to the truck (beyond tires), if you plan on installing a lift or any modifications to suspension I would stick with the SR5.

Buy it in a manual transmission if you can drive stick. You do lose some of the off-roading features that a AT has but in return you get fun of driving a 6 speed Truck (RACE TRUCK)

I went through Henninger, they still do lifetime oil changes (the catch being you have to do your regular maintenance through them). I have / had very good experiences with them.

These things are so fun to drive in snow / mud / dirt yet are very driveable in the city. Its crazy how capable they are straight from the factory.

The 3rd party aftermarket parts for the Tacoma is HUGE. You can upgrade nearly everything if you should so choose.

Few primary upgrades to consider:

- All-terrain Tires: The stock tires are All-seasons which will likely not meet your needs. All-Terrains are great as they are winter rated tires that you can run year round in snow, ice, mud, dirt, ect... This would be the one recommendation that I say is a must if you want to enjoy what the Taco does best

- Winch Plate / Winch Bumper + winch: If you do plan on going down any off-road trails to access outdoor activities and plan on doing them alone a winch is very good idea. I've used mine to pull myself out of some very stupid decisions (yeah i can drive through that....)

- Lift kit: If you do go off-roading more and more you may want one of these. You should only be looking at suspension lifts in the range of 1.5-3". Remember the only true lift for additional clearance is size of your tires (which require suspension lifts to ensure that they fit). Dont bother with body lifts as they are just for show, and negatively effect the performance of the truck.

- Skids Plates / rear steel bumper: Only get these if you plan on doing serious rock crawling / off-roading. If you are just off-roading on dirt trails you should be fine with the truck as is.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
lazy_programmer
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thinking to purchase a Toyota Tacoma in next little while.

Any recommendations on a dealership in YYC area?

Any other Tacoma enthusiasts amongst us with tips in terms of which trim to consider, upgrades, and accessories?
(If it helps, my main activities are mountain biking and XC skiing)
I used this strategy and every dealer I contacted was willing to accept.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...49&postcount=9

In 2011 when I bought, sometime around oct/nov, there was also a manufacturer rebate that increased every month on the 2011 models as the 2012 were coming in. It was sort of a game of chicken, the longer you waited, the higher the rebate, but the more chance of someone else buying it first.
lazy_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazy_programmer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
have you considered buying a ford f-150?
Negative.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks all - some great advice!
Any recommendations for tonneau cover?
Anyone purchase a rooftop tent for a Tacoma?
Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thanks all - some great advice!
Any recommendations for tonneau cover?
Anyone purchase a rooftop tent for a Tacoma?
Roof top tents make no sense. Expensive, monopolize a bunch of space on your truck, look dumb, don't allow you to drive your truck when camp is made, and are huge to store all winter when off your truck. A normal tent for $200 is better.

If you plan to camp with your truck and don't want a trailer, get a truck with a long enough box for you to sleep in and get a topper. In the topper you can make yourself a wicked little mini cabin.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Roof top tents make no sense. Expensive, monopolize a bunch of space on your truck, look dumb, don't allow you to drive your truck when camp is made, and are huge to store all winter when off your truck. A normal tent for $200 is better.

If you plan to camp with your truck and don't want a trailer, get a truck with a long enough box for you to sleep in and get a topper. In the topper you can make yourself a wicked little mini cabin.
Stop being silly, when you buy a Tacoma with a roof top tent you're not doing it because it makes sense - you're doing it for the image.

Jokes aside, if you're looking at roof top tents, I'd suggest looking at the hard shells ones like Maggiolina or James Baroud. They're way easier to set up and take down and they don't have the fuel economy robbing aerodynamics of a bag of bricks.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got mine from Cochrane Toyota. I used carcost canada. They ended up being the best price and the least hassle. Country Hills Toyota told me about the amazing prices to get me to come in only to find out it was all BS. The Charlesglen salesman left me too many times to go talk with the manager. I was already there 2 hours. I don’t like playing the game so I just walked.

I should note that I was trading in my f150. Charlesglen had the sr5 I wanted. I ended up with a trd because Cochrane gave me a better deal on my trade in. They also came down on the trd more than anyone else so it worked out to be cheaper to get the trd from Cochrane than the sr5 from Charlesglen.

Last edited by bossy22; 10-05-2018 at 11:27 PM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Got mine from Cochrane Toyota. I used carcost canada. They ended up being the best price and the least hassle. Country Hills Toyota told me about the amazing prices to get me to come in only to find out it was all BS. The Charlesglen salesman left me too many times to go talk with the manager. I was already there 2 hours. I don’t like playing the game so I just walked.

I should note that I was trading in my f150. Charlesglen had the sr5 I wanted. I ended up with a trd because Cochrane gave me a better deal on my trade in. They also came down on the trd more than anyone else so it worked out to be cheaper to get the trd from Cochrane than the sr5 from Charlesglen.
I also was coming to suggest Cochrane. I know the manager very well and she’s very fair and really takes care of her customers.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Stop being silly, when you buy a Tacoma with a roof top tent you're not doing it because it makes sense - you're doing it for the image.

Jokes aside, if you're looking at roof top tents, I'd suggest looking at the hard shells ones like Maggiolina or James Baroud. They're way easier to set up and take down and they don't have the fuel economy robbing aerodynamics of a bag of bricks.
Of course it's for the image! ; )

In all seriousness, I hear ya. There are some positive aspects of the rooftop tent arrangement though.

I was intrigued by this fairly new one: iKamper Skycamp:
https://www.ikamper.com/
Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I have a truck bed tent that works pretty great (~$200), but once camp is made you can’t drive your truck if needed. It was essentially the cheap stop gap to the future plan of a topper/mini cabin set up.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good choice! I'm on my second Tacoma, currently a 2014 that I purchased (ahem, leased) new. A TRD Sport Double Cab. This one's from Charlesglen Toyota, which seems to be a decent dealership for the most part.

I also have the truck bed tent mentioned in the previous post, which works well as a reasonably affordable and simple way to camp in the bed.

I can't remember if you mentioned, but are you definitely looking to buy new? Getting in to a Taco for a decent price is a tricky proposition at the best of times it would seem, whether looking new or used. The resale value is high, and Toyota tends not to budge very often on the rates for the new ones.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought a Tacoma in May from Henninger.

No complaints with the dealer and love the truck.
Still haven't decided if I should get a topper or just a bed cover.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

FWIW I have a topper on my truck. Have had it for two years after never having one before. I love it. Worth every penny. It makes everything so much easier and more secure. It adds a ton of flexibility. A flush topper looks great on a Tacoma, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: