Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Snowblower Megathread

I have a rinky dink 18" electric snowblower; does the job and survived today's onslaught (for those reading this in the future: 20+") but it is slow and struggles with this wet snow. Keeps jamming up with wet slop in the chute since its single stage

Considering last year I used it 6 times (0 times in 2 years before that), I might just bite the bullet and pick up a gasser since this seems to be the new normal.
For me with limited storage space, key is something compact, but has to be a step above the tiny single-stage ones that are just glorified electric ones.

Anyone have experience with the below Toro unit? Looks like it has a new type of drive & turning system that does away with the 100 levers most gas snowblowers have:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000848538.html

Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I just posted in the weather thread.... went to lowes today and they have one regular around $1,000 on for $600 and you get another $100 gift card for lowes with the purchase. I brought it home, used it and am impressed!

Surprisingly, it didnt save me a ton of time but I expect that will change as snowbanks get higher + I won't worry about my back this winter!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I have a rinky dink 18" electric snowblower; does the job and survived today's onslaught (for those reading this in the future: 20+") but it is slow and struggles with this wet snow. Keeps jamming up with wet slop in the chute since its single stage

Considering last year I used it 6 times (0 times in 2 years before that), I might just bite the bullet and pick up a gasser since this seems to be the new normal.
For me with limited storage space, key is something compact, but has to be a step above the tiny single-stage ones that are just glorified electric ones.

Anyone have experience with the below Toro unit? Looks like it has a new type of drive & turning system that does away with the 100 levers most gas snowblowers have:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000848538.html

I almost grabbed one just like your unit but in gas, however, the person working was doing everything possible to not have me buy it as they said exactly what you did about wet snow clogging the chute on a regular basis.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I just posted in the weather thread.... went to lowes today and they have one regular around $1,000 on for $600 and you get another $100 gift card for lowes with the purchase. I brought it home, used it and am impressed!

Surprisingly, it didnt save me a ton of time but I expect that will change as snowbanks get higher + I won't worry about my back this winter!
Which snowblower was it? If you mind me asking.

And agree totally on the "not saving time" comment in most cases. Really just a back saver, but on days like today, it would probably be quicker.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Briggs and Stratton... I don't see it on their site. It was right at the front door and from the time I could find someone to help me load it they had 3 other people loading one and a couple at the check in desk .... either I bought into the hype or it was a great deal.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 10-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Buy a Honda 720C. Will do exactly what you want it to do and is light and easy to move around. Less then $900 right now.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Umm, so I gotta ask.. does using the snowblower normally take the same amount of time or longer than using a regular shovel? I was done manually shoveling my driveway and sidewalk before the guy down the block was done with their snowblower, and we have the same sized areas to remove snow from.

I can understand that that its probably easier, but should it be faster? Or is the guy down the street just not very good at using a snowblower?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Buy a Honda 720C. Will do exactly what you want it to do and is light and easy to move around. Less then $900 right now.
Not a bad option, the 720 seems pretty solid based on the videos I saw. Wish Honda had better online presence for their power equipment locally. Its quality stuff but you're basically forced into a showroom if you want to talk price.

Although I just wonder how it compares to the below Toro that is going to be much cheaper if I end up going the "super compact single stage" route. Obviously Honda is a level above, but features/power will be similar I imagine

Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a gas unit, single stage and it’s fine. The chute might clog a little in this incredibly heavy/wet snow, but it’s seriously not a significant issue. I think I bought it 3-4 years ago and it’s going strong. I bought the single stage because it basically scrapes the cement and I want that.

I also don’t find we get this kind of snow regularly, and the single stage is fine. If I lived in the maritimes though, it would be a different story! All I can say is that it’s a great purchase and worth every cent.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mine wouldn’t start tonight. Great day for that to happen!
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I have a single stage gas Craftsman 22". 8.00 Lbs of torque.

Works great for 95% of the snow falls in Calgary for my double wide driveway and city sidewalk.

Today was the 5% it struggled. Came home to 12" of heavy wet snow and it can't throw that kind of snow very far so you end up trying to deal with an ever growing thickness of wet snow. In these conditions I could throw it about 6 feet. In colder temps with dryer snow it can throw maybe 15 feet.

Would i buy a more powerful two stage? No.

More expensive, harder to store for what i need.

I save about 40 minutes on average instead of using a shovel. An added bonus is the older child loves running it and I can stay inside and have a beverage!!

Last edited by prarieboy; 10-02-2018 at 08:26 PM.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Umm, so I gotta ask.. does using the snowblower normally take the same amount of time or longer than using a regular shovel?

Depends on the amount of snow. I can clear the average snowfall in about 30min by hand. Snow blower takes 45mins regardless of how much snow.... unless it’s wet stuff like today. Then it’s up to 90mins, but by hand it would take several hours and a really bad back.

Costco special running strong after 7 years of use.
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve got a gas single stage and am very happy with it as well. Just seems like the right balance for what we get here usually.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just scrapped the 1972 Ariens I picked up on the side of the road about 15 years ago and put $100 into - not before the 8 horse Tecumseh got put on my log splitter though. I think I have the only log splitter with a 110v electric start.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I have a single stage gas Craftsman 22". 8.00 Lbs of torque.

Works great for 95% of the snow falls in Calgary for my double wide driveway and city sidewalk.

Today was the 5% it struggled. Came home to 12" of heavy wet snow and it can't throw that kind of snow very far so you end up trying to deal with an ever growing thickness of wet snow. In these conditions I could throw it about 6 feet. In colder temps with dryer snow it can throw maybe 15 feet.

Would i buy a more powerful two stage? No.

More expensive, harder to store for what i need.

I save about 40 minutes on average instead of using a shovel. An added bonus is the older child loves running it and I can stay inside and have a beverage!!
With the wet heavy stuff yesterday, was it just struggling to throw it far, or was it getting clogged in the chute? As mentioned, the latter is what occured on my electric single stage (I think because all the snow is immediately funneled through the 5" discharge chute, and not through a large rectangle opening on some of the bigger single/double stage units).
Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
With the wet heavy stuff yesterday, was it just struggling to throw it far, or was it getting clogged in the chute? As mentioned, the latter is what occured on my electric single stage (I think because all the snow is immediately funneled through the 5" discharge chute, and not through a large rectangle opening on some of the bigger single/double stage units).
I've never had a problem with the chute clogging, it just couldn't handle that depth of snow. In areas where it was 6" deep it worked just fine.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I've never had a problem with the chute clogging, it just couldn't handle that depth of snow. In areas where it was 6" deep it worked just fine.
Mine was similar, but the truth is even in those deep areas it's like mowing the lawn that you have left for too long. You just back up and take another run over it and it's not a big deal. Personally, I don't think that anyone should be dissuaded from the single stage in Calgary.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not a bad option, the 720 seems pretty solid based on the videos I saw. Wish Honda had better online presence for their power equipment locally. Its quality stuff but you're basically forced into a showroom if you want to talk price.

Although I just wonder how it compares to the below Toro that is going to be much cheaper if I end up going the "super compact single stage" route. Obviously Honda is a level above, but features/power will be similar I imagine

I have this one. It does the job, although not super neatly and it tends to blow some snow back, so I usually wear snow pants when using it.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #19
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been relying on my 1985 arms and a good shovel with an adjustable grip mid-shaft to get better leverage. I thought about either an electric shovel or an electric snow-blower, but I'm not convinced I have enough to actually clear away for it to be worthwhile.

I got up at 6:15 AM, shoveled damn near everything in/around my house, went inside for a few hours, only to look out and see everything was covered again. Though I don't want to imagine what my shoveling chores would have been like this morning if I haven't gotten ahead of it yesterday.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #20
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Umm, so I gotta ask.. does using the snowblower normally take the same amount of time or longer than using a regular shovel? I was done manually shoveling my driveway and sidewalk before the guy down the block was done with their snowblower, and we have the same sized areas to remove snow from.

I can understand that that its probably easier, but should it be faster? Or is the guy down the street just not very good at using a snowblower?
My first time using it yesterday and I felt it was a similar amount of time but actually enjoyable & easy.

This morning I did my own place as well as 3 neighbors walkways which hadn't been touched as they are elderly and it took about the same time as it took me yesterday to just do my place so I do think it is quicker with snow you need to lift as shoveling and most likely a bit longer for an inch of snow which you can just push.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post: