Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #141
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I don't understand the hatred towards notches, even bigger ones. Before the notch that space was all black bezel anyways, and now the status bar sits up there giving you a bit more screen space. I've also never seen an app that tried to use that space, ending up with the notch cutting into the image. The anger towards the notch seems pretty silly to me
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #142
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #143
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't understand the hatred towards notches, even bigger ones. Before the notch that space was all black bezel anyways, and now the status bar sits up there giving you a bit more screen space. I've also never seen an app that tried to use that space, ending up with the notch cutting into the image. The anger towards the notch seems pretty silly to me
Full screen video?
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #144
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Full screen video?

Every full screen video I watch on my G7 blacks out the top area beside the notch, so it looks like every phone watching video pre-notch design
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #145
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I am okay with notches, but the one one the Pixel 3 looks too wide.

It feels like there is a thumb or something obstructing the screen.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #146
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking hard at moving from a 6P to a Pixel 3. The screen sizes look to be similar with the Pixel having smaller bezels top and bottom.

Has anyone moved from a larger phone to a smaller one? Am I going to totally hate it?

The wife has a OnePlus 5T which I quite like. I'm going to wait until the 6T comes out before making a decision. However, I really like the pure Google experience.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #147
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would like some thoughts on the Nokia 7.1, which will be shipping by month end.
Have decided that the $350US price tag on this phone is the high end of what I am willing spend.
Still haven't ruled out essential phone if I can find a good deal. I don't know what are other mid range options to consider.
I expect I will wait until black Friday here in US, but any thoughts between now and then would be welcome.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #148
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The notch on the 3XL looks too big, I don't like it at all and in general notches don't bother me that much. What Oppo is doing with notches is cool and a nice way to go as it seems to be a bit more of a design element rather than a work around.

I went from the Note3/4, 6P to the Essential and i quite like the form factor on the Essential more than the 6P and I loved my 6P. It is a perfect size phone to me and the screen size is about the same as the 6P. I would definitely change a few things on the phone itself but the size and layout are great.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #149
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about being disappointed with Samsung, though. They've had the same design for the S8 and S9, so will no doubt redesign for S10. An in-display fingerprint sensor is likely, and foldable is possible (in their line-up somewhere, not necessarily as an S10). Even one of those would give me a phone that's interestingly different from what I have now, which is all I'm looking for.

Another opportunity is for a small flagship. Would be wicked if they released an S10 mini.
maybe they try to revolutionize the form factor, but that's risky stuff if you have to convert your factories to pump out folding phones, only to discover that people actually hate them. if I were Samsung I'd do the Apple thing and let some other ambitious company do the field testing for me, and then jump in with a refined version only once it's proven there's a market.

I always wonder why Samsung keeps pushing Bixby when the base platform comes with Google's ever more powerful AI. for me, the bleh hardware spec bump of the Pixel 3 isn't the real news, it's all the software powered stuff that is going to take phones to the next level. there's lots of features like the Night Sight mode, Google becoming your call screening/appointment booking secretary, etc. that I'll get on my "old" Pixel 2.

the movie Her is about to become even prescient than we thought. it's not that far fetched that you could set your phone's voice to a raspy Scarlett Johansson, allowing it to organize your day and handle all your communications so you can free up more time to grow your moustache and lay on the beach in your high waisted trousers.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #150
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Wearables suck. I had a smart watch and found it annoying.
I don't understand that thinking, I know that there are individual needs and interests, but I couldn't be without my smart watch. It keeps my phone in my pocket at work, no text tones, a quick glance tells me what is going on, it fitness tracks when I want it to, I control my music through it again while not having to hold my phone while I'm working on the plane, its really just super convenient. I have to wear a watch anyhow, so it may as well be a multitasker.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #151
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm looking hard at moving from a 6P to a Pixel 3. The screen sizes look to be similar with the Pixel having smaller bezels top and bottom.

Has anyone moved from a larger phone to a smaller one? Am I going to totally hate it?

The wife has a OnePlus 5T which I quite like. I'm going to wait until the 6T comes out before making a decision. However, I really like the pure Google experience.
I don't understand how they could sell a single Pixel 3 against the Galaxy S9. S9 has headphone jack, expandable memory, better dust/waterproofness, better camera, larger market for aftermarket accessories and looks nicer. I think it's cheaper right now, too.

Is it because of "bloatware" on Samsung? That's a nothing now. I use the Google Now Launcher and I don't notice Samsung inserting itself into anything I do on my phone. The Pixel looks DOA to me.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #152
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I don't understand that thinking, I know that there are individual needs and interests, but I couldn't be without my smart watch. It keeps my phone in my pocket at work, no text tones, a quick glance tells me what is going on, it fitness tracks when I want it to, I control my music through it again while not having to hold my phone while I'm working on the plane, its really just super convenient. I have to wear a watch anyhow, so it may as well be a multitasker.
For me, I found it had me checking notifications more often than if I kept my phone in my pocket until it was more convenient for me to check. I didn't like have a ticker of what my phone was up to strapped to my wrist. I don't like wearing a watch, either, so that would be a big mark against it for me. Plus having yet another thing to charge was annoying - especially since it could do some stuff the other thing I always have with me can do, just not as well.

If I did wear a watch, I'd probably get a smart watch again, though. I definitely don't see the point of wearing a dumb watch.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #153
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
For me, I found it had me checking notifications more often than if I kept my phone in my pocket until it was more convenient for me to check. I didn't like have a ticker of what my phone was up to strapped to my wrist. I don't like wearing a watch, either, so that would be a big mark against it for me. Plus having yet another thing to charge was annoying - especially since it could do some stuff the other thing I always have with me can do, just not as well.

If I did wear a watch, I'd probably get a smart watch again, though. I definitely don't see the point of wearing a dumb watch.
For sure. Different needs for different folks. I can't sleep with a watch on so I take it off anyhow so it just sits in its dock during that time. It's magnetic so it's just like putting my watch on the night stand. I also touch people. All day long. And gross gross things. The less I touch my phone, the better. I'm not bothered by notifications, I like that I can glance and then decide if I need to take out my phone and respond. I'd be pissed off I looked at my phone every time I got a slack notification, or ESPN, or weather, or whatever. This way I can disregard 90% of it
Old 10-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #154
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand how they could sell a single Pixel 3 against the Galaxy S9. S9 has headphone jack, expandable memory, better dust/waterproofness, better camera, larger market for aftermarket accessories and looks nicer. I think it's cheaper right now, too.

Is it because of "bloatware" on Samsung? That's a nothing now. I use the Google Now Launcher and I don't notice Samsung inserting itself into anything I do on my phone. The Pixel looks DOA to me.

Pixel 2 has/had the best camera of any smartphone on the market, and by all previews the Pixel 3 makes it even better, so no the S9 does not have a better camera. The other things you mention like the headphone jack are completely valid and the reason I went with a LG G7 instead of waiting for the Pixel 3. But the main reason people buy Pixels is because they want the best camera and/or the stock Android experience, which gives you the newest versions first and updates far longer than Samsung gives you on their devices
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #155
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Pixel 2 has/had the best camera of any smartphone on the market, and by all previews the Pixel 3 makes it even better, so no the S9 does not have a better camera. The other things you mention like the headphone jack are completely valid and the reason I went with a LG G7 instead of waiting for the Pixel 3. But the main reason people buy Pixels is because they want the best camera and/or the stock Android experience, which gives you the newest versions first and updates far longer than Samsung gives you on their devices
Another Pixel benefit: My Pixel 2 runs just as fast and smooth (if not faster and smoother) now, ten months later, as it did out of the box. Its a very clean and very efficient Android build. No bloat.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #156
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Would like some thoughts on the Nokia 7.1, which will be shipping by month end.
Have decided that the $350US price tag on this phone is the high end of what I am willing spend.
Still haven't ruled out essential phone if I can find a good deal. I don't know what are other mid range options to consider.
I expect I will wait until black Friday here in US, but any thoughts between now and then would be welcome.

Keep checking amazon and essentials web sites, Flash deals all the time and should be at your price point.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #157
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This is a good comparison of the Pixel 3 XL camera vs the iPhone XS Max. Tony and Chelsea are pros and are pretty unbiased. Looks like the Pixel is still king of phone cameras.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #158
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dumb question but how can I find out if a Telus sim card will work with a OnePlus 6T?
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #159
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Dumb question but how can I find out if a Telus sim card will work with a OnePlus 6T?

Well Koodo uses the same network since Telus owns them and I had my OnePlus One with them for years, so I doubt there would be an issue with the 6T
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #160
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oneplus works fine on Telus. Oneplus 3 user for a while with them.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: