Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #321
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Follow him on Snapchat for a month and you’ll see. All about Marcus.
I don't have Snapchat. I really having seen anything from him to date that suggests he's selfish. He's definitely passionate and outgoing, and that will ruffle a few feathers, but that doesn't automatically make him selfish..
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #322
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

I have followed him on Snapchat for the last 2 years and there's nothing he posts which comes across as a "selfish clown". He's just a very passionate guy who loves the life he's living and he worked hard for it so he deserves it. If that is a "selfish clown" then so are all the athletes in every sport.

People find new ways to hate others these days.

Last edited by ClubFlames; 02-16-2018 at 08:16 AM.
ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #323
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
His personal social media account is all about .....him? The horror!
Questioning team management, commenting on other players, clearing making other players in the clubhouse uncomfortable that want nothing to do with his media BS. He also makes Evander Kane’s wealth flaunting look like child’s play.

You do realize his former best friend (Aaron Sanchez) has nothing to do with Stroman anymore and it’s been written that he’s had enough of the sideshow. If his former best friend doesn’t like it, I’m willing to bet there’s quite a few others that are probably in the same boat.

Stroman reminds me of when we had Dion Phaneuf. For the first few years we overlooked his shtick because of the obvious talent, but it eventually started to wear on the team and the fans.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #324
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I don't have Snapchat. I really having seen anything from him to date that suggests he's selfish. He's definitely passionate and outgoing, and that will ruffle a few feathers, but that doesn't automatically make him selfish..
I don’t think he’s selfish on the field, he will always going to give 100% and plays to win. Though his needless showing up of other teams abd staring at their dugout for no reason is eventually going to get a teammate punched in the face. Almost did a couple of times last year.

The selfish comment comes from the fact that his own brand will never take a backseat to the team or other players and has the potential to really upset a clubhouse. As I mentioned above, his former best bud has had enough of it, I doubt he’s the only one.

I don’t see many other players pissing and moaning about losing arbitration saying how they’ll remember all the negative things management said about them.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-16-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #325
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh TAO
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #326
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Social media is a funny thing. Without it, all I know is Stroman is a great talent with heaps of potential that overcame a serious injury, with it, the guy kind of comes off an an ass. If some of these guys are going to be as active as they are, they should probably start hiring some social media managers. Apparently NBA players are al about that. They had a pretty good discussion about it in ESPN the other day.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #327
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Stroman I've always been ok with swallowing the majority of his antics, due to his ability, positive attitude on the field, and fire for big game situations.

He has already pitched and succeeded in some of the biggest Jays playoff games of the recent runs. However it does start to grow tiresome. You hope he matures and this stuff slowly starts to fade away, but that hasn't been the case.

Again, I still love the guy and I take him on my team 10 times out of 10, he's not a guy you want to go up against. But I can see why some fans might have a shorter fuse with him.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #328
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion this is why you should avoid arbitration because by the very nature you go in there and talk about everything wrong with the player. There was a story of a NHL player (maybe Bryzgalov or Chechmanek) that emerged from his hearing in tears because he was so stunned by what his organization said about him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #329
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have they announced who will be filling in for Zaun? JP Arencibia would be great at that, but I’m not sure what he is up to these days.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #330
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I know they said he has some medical issues with his voice, but something just seems so off about him dropping off like this without a final swansong. I'm sure he's tried to recover in time for the beginning of the season but he wasn't able to and just bowed out, but I really wish he could've done one more season. I didn't notice anything noticeably wrong with his voice this past season, so it must've been recent. Hope he's alright.
Peter Maher did the same thing.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #331
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope Stro can use this as motivation and can pitch like a ace this year. Show them that you deserve the big contract.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #332
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Follow him on Snapchat for a month and you’ll see. All about Marcus.
That's any 20 something's snapchat.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #333
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
There was a story of a NHL player (maybe Bryzgalov or Chechmanek) that emerged from his hearing in tears because he was so stunned by what his organization said about him.
Tommy Salo with the Islanders.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #334
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Have they announced who will be filling in for Zaun? JP Arencibia would be great at that, but I’m not sure what he is up to these days.
I had heard it will a mix of Arencibia and Barker...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #335
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
I had heard it will a mix of Arencibia and Barker...
I liked Barker at the start, but as I started to get a steady diet of him i’m not sure that can be maintained.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #336
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

What doesn't make sense to me about the Stroman situation is that the Jays are willing to damage their relationship with him over 400k. Are they really that cheap?
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #337
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
What doesn't make sense to me about the Stroman situation is that the Jays are willing to damage their relationship with him over 400k. Are they really that cheap?
They'll save a buck wherever they can, for sure.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #338
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
... and Stroman was willing to do the same. Teams are always wanting to keep arb salaries down (precedence) and players the opposite.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #339
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...de-focus-2018/

Quote:
Asked if he expects to hit free agency in the fall, Donaldson replied “yes” but added that he’s hopeful that changes. He said there’s no ill-will toward the front office, but wants to focus on the season ahead.

Donaldson said he will no longer address the topic of his free agency publicly.
Gonna either have to shell out some more cash for JD or have a bidding war this summer.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #340
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, at least this will mean we have a very motivated and hungry JD on our hands this year.

That alone could be a 3-4 WAR improvement from last year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote