Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #13441
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN's Top 25 Trade Bait Board: https://www.tsn.ca/erik-karlsson-top...mmer-1.1105047

Karlsson, O'Reilly, Hoffman, Skinner, and Pacioretty are the top-5.

Hamilton is the only Flame on the board at 14. However, it also says: "Teams are calling the Calgary Flames about Dougie Hamilton (14). Brad Treliving isn’t interested in trading Hamilton, but it’s probably fair to say Calgary is curious about a market value assessment."
Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #13442
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Since coming into the league? He's 23, playing against the leagues top players with a fifth defenseman on the other side.

Yeah, he's no defensive stalwart, but a lot of that is him getting caught out of position and that, arguably, doesn't happen nearly as much if he wasn't trying to play offense and 'cover' for weak partners. I love Dougie, but put Hamilton in his position and he'd look like the worst defensive player in the league.

Classic case of doing too much with no help and it's clearly what he's being told to do. Otherwise he wouldn't be getting the insane amount of time he does get.
I think Ristolainen is an interesting case.

If you look at the player usage charts from hockeyabstract.com, you can see his 5 v 5 results have improved this year compared to last year. Both years he was playing tough minutes against much better than average competition. However, whereas the 2016-2017 season saw him also receive 44.68% OZS, the 2017-2018 season saw him receive much better zone starts at 50.68% OZS. Ristolainen's play improved substantially when he was given better playing circumstances and this accords with what you are saying.

The problem though is that his 5 v 5 results from 2017-2018 are still horrid. He had a CF% of 47.42% and a GF% of 40.74% compared to a CF% of 43.81% and a GF% of 45.54% in 2016-2017.

Ristolainen comes with a risk. You have to bet that continuing to change his 5 v 5 circumstances for the better by playing him against worse competition and with better teammates will mean his results will become what Klefbom's already are.

If you want, scoot on over to ownthepuck.blogspot.com and compare Ristolainen to Klefbom. You might be surprised.

I'm not saying Ristolainen is some terrible player. He has averaged around 42 points over the last 3 seasons largely because of his excellence on the PP (last year he scored 14 points at 5 v 5). I'm saying that, at 5 v 5, he might be. We don't know and there is a risk in acquiring him.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #13443
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ristolainen has more unquantifiable intangibles than Klefbom. He's a guy you build around IMO.

If the Oilers grab him I'll be choked.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #13444
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that 7th OA pick sticks out like a sore thumb at me when looking at that list.

Thats pretty much Oliver Wahlstrom I am looking at. How do the Flames make that happen?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #13445
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Man, that 7th OA pick sticks out like a sore thumb at me when looking at that list.

Thats pretty much Oliver Wahlstrom I am looking at. How do the Flames make that happen?
high draft pick dealing with a divisional rival? probably very unlikely or the price would be too high.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #13446
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
TSN's Top 25 Trade Bait Board: https://www.tsn.ca/erik-karlsson-top...mmer-1.1105047

Karlsson, O'Reilly, Hoffman, Skinner, and Pacioretty are the top-5.

Hamilton is the only Flame on the board at 14. However, it also says: "Teams are calling the Calgary Flames about Dougie Hamilton (14). Brad Treliving isn’t interested in trading Hamilton, but it’s probably fair to say Calgary is curious about a market value assessment."
If there is any truth to the Eklund rumor (unlikely) involving Hamilton and O’Rielly what do the Sabres add to make that deal?

What do the Flames need to add to get both O’Rielly and Reinhart?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #13447
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

if I’m treliving I’d see what it would cost for a package of ristolainen + o’reilly. And yes I’d look into moving Hamilton + for that return.
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #13448
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
if I’m treliving I’d see what it would cost for a package of ristolainen + o’reilly. And yes I’d look into moving Hamilton + for that return.
All your 2013 first round picks are belong to us
Old 06-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #13449
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton+ Janko or Bennett for ROR+Risto is somewhat fair imo. We upgrade pretty heavy at centre and they upgrade pretty heavy on d
Old 06-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #13450
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
That would be great but I would think the Flames add would be substantial. Jankowski maybe?

Sabres have a few pieces i could see them moving I would be interested in.

RoR
Ristolainen
Reinhart
Nylander
32nd pick
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #13451
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Hamilton+ Janko or Bennett for ROR+Risto is somewhat fair imo. We upgrade pretty heavy at centre and they upgrade pretty heavy on d
That is a lot of cap coming to the Flames. I would want retention on O’Rielly, being able to add Stone and get another piece from the Sabres (Nylander/32nd pick)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #13452
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the Flames could use an upgrade at center more than most think. Someone to push backlund down. Bennett and Jankowski aren't yet proving to be more than inconsistent third liners and Bennett's flopped at the position. So we're less deep at center than most would have put the team a year or two ago. Backlunds come down a little and Monahan doesn't have a physical element to his game. A lot of positives in those two when they're on, though.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #13453
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ristolainen has more unquantifiable intangibles than Klefbom. He's a guy you build around IMO.

If the Oilers grab him I'll be choked.
I’d almost be okay with using Hamilton again to disrupt Chiarellis d plans.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #13454
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think the Flames could use an upgrade at center more than most think. Someone to push backlund down. Bennett and Jankowski aren't yet proving to be more than inconsistent third liners and Bennett's flopped at the position. So we're less deep at center than most would have put the team a year or two ago. Backlunds come down a little and Monahan doesn't have a physical element to his game. A lot of positives in those two when they're on, though.
Agreed. We don't need a top end RW. We didn't struggle because our top line wasn't producing (it was), we struggled because we lacked depth up front.

Add a centre and things flow much better. A sexy name like O'Reilly or Tavares would be great. But even a short term deal to a Bozak or Ryan would give us much needed depth.

That gives you 3 centres (Monahan/Backlund/NEW) and 3 wingers (Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Frolik) to pair up and build your top 9 around.

We can't try and build the entire bottom 9 with hopefuls and has-beens. Not and contend.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #13455
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames need a top end RWer and a high end center

Good god this team has the worst RW depth in the league...Ferland was great until he took the last four months off
Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #13456
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames need a top end RWer and a high end center

Good god this team has the worst RW depth in the league...Ferland was great until he took the last four months off
Coincided with Monahan's injuries, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #13457
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
so his line mates carried him?

No team is winning the cup with Ferland as their top RWer...sorry

If they Flames want to contend they need to upgrade on the right side and at center
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #13458
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

RW might be lacking - though I think the kids step up there soon, Foo looked consistently dangerous - but center is more important and having the upper hand at center depth provides more leverage than adding to the RW with the current so-so center talent. O'Reilly or JT would allow everything to flow and filter down better as the previous poster mentioned. It's all about duos these days. You just need capable guys with energy to plug in to those holes.

Gaudreau - Monahan
Tkachuk - 2C Acquisition
Frolik - Backlund

Is a better set up than the current line chart with an overpaid RW upgrade plugged in there.

But might be able to address both. Who knows.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-06-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #13459
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
But that happens. Need depth to ride out the injuries that are bound to happen throughout the season.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:00 AM   #13460
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
so his line mates carried him?

No team is winning the cup with Ferland as their top RWer...sorry

If they Flames want to contend they need to upgrade on the right side and at center
Totally agree. We need two legitimate proven top 6 forwarda if we want to be a contender. Ideally ferland plays on the 3rd or fourth line, is a spark plug that hits everything, and can come up with big goals in the playoffs when goals are hard to come by. We wont be a playoff team if he is our 1dt line rw again
Closed Thread