Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #1241
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Who do you sit on RW to fit Shane Doan in?
No one, let Shane Doan sign with another team...we don't need an aging greasy ass player like Doan. I would much rather see a younger player(s) fill in and develop as the season goes.

If we sign a vet I prefer Justin Williams or Patrick Marleau. That is all, if we can't score one of those guys, save the cap space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #1242
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone that wants Ferland to see top line minutes should be excited about the potential to sign Doan.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:03 AM   #1243
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Can't pull your #### out in Calgary?
Best. Interview response. Ever.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #1244
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Stajan gets overrated by flames fans quite a bit i think. He is quite bad imo. I love the character, and i know his story, but I think he is an old overpaid anchor. He doesnt have the wheels or faceoff acumen of a Matt Cullen to keep him relevant.

Bouma.... man i think its injuries that prevent him from playing like he did but he brings nothing.
Who is overrating Stajan?? I don't think you can find any examples of people overrating him. Who is calling him anymore than a 4th line centre at this point that can maybe fill in on another line briefly in a short pinch? Now, is he good? No he isn't, but there are definitely worse players than him still on this team.

If you think that is overrating him then I think you are being pretty silly. Holy smokes. Can't believe there are 5 goofs who thanked your post.

Last edited by Karl; 06-29-2017 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #1245
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Who is overrating Stajan?? I don't think you can find any examples of people overrating him. Who is calling him anymore than a 4th line centre at this point that can maybe fill in on another line briefly in a short pinch? Now, is he good? No he isn't, but there are definitely worse players than him still on this team.

If you think that is overrating him then I think you are being pretty silly. Holy smokes. Can't believe there are 5 goofs who thanked your post.
You throw personal insults at people because they thank a post you don't agree with.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #1246
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
You throw personal insults at people because they thank a post you don't agree with.
Yes, if I think someone makes an opinion that is silly or ridiculous and there are people who support an opinion that I think is silly.

Last edited by Karl; 06-29-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #1247
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pouliot buyout is stupid from the Oilers IMO.

Now they he a $1.3M hit in the first 3 years of McDavid raise and the years where they will need all that cap space to extend players.

Would have been way better off paying the cost to trade him somewhere and just retain $2M for this season. You can tell me there wasn't a market for him at $2M. Or worst case just waive him and have the $3.1M cap hit this year.

That $1.3M is going to suck in the 2019 offseason when you are trying to extend Talbot.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-29-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #1248
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Anyone that wants Ferland to see top line minutes should be excited about the potential to sign Doan.
Or just not sign Doan.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #1249
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Getting called a goof is a personal insult? Oh off-season you're my favourite.

Put me in the camp who doesn't want any aging UFA vets on multi year contracts unless Brouwer goes first. Can't afford two potentially awful contracts like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #1250
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You had already quoted my post and responded to it, now two pages later you quote it again and are suddenly pissed off at how ridiculous my opinion is because people agreed with it and thanked my post?

I think calling Stajan a "good forth line player" is an exaggeration on his abilities. He, in my opinion, is an average forth line player at best. Hence why I feel he is overrated. Now if you disagree with my assessment, thats too bad for you. No need to get all riled up over an aging 4th liner who will be gone in a year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #1251
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

meh, i could call you a goof for disagreeing with my opinion but i'll refrain ...

i don't think stajan is all that skilled, and the little that he had seems to have depleted over the years (it takes the guy roughly 5 grade A chances missed before he can pot one)... He's slow, he gets rag dolled a ton. Frankly, i don't think i'd be able to tell if he were replaced by hamilton as the 4th line C, other than the few million in cap space suddenly available.

There is likely an off ice/intangible element here, but i don't think any of us have any way to actually validate or measure its impact on this group (just like we can't really measure whether Brouwer had much impact in this dept last year).

Not here to just bash stajan, but if i'm a goof for thanking a post questioning stajan's hockey value, thought i'd chime in.

again, just my opinion. you are welcome to yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #1252
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Getting called a goof is a personal insult?Oh off-season you're my favourite.

Put me in the camp who doesn't want any aging UFA vets on multi year contracts unless Brouwer goes first. Can't afford two potentially awful contracts like that.
In some circles, that's not a term you use lightly. I'm sure that wasn't your intent but I've always found that word insulting. And yes, the link is a Reddit post but it's precisely how I've always known that word since growing up with a bad crowd as a young teen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...hild_predator/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #1253
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think calling Stajan a "good forth line player" is an exaggeration on his abilities. He, in my opinion, is an average forth line player at best. Hence why I feel he is overrated.
What in your opinion, are deficits in Stajan's abilities from being a good 4th line centre? Which players would you give as an example of being an established 4th line centre that has done well in the role?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #1254
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers waive Poiliot for purposesmof a buyout.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #1255
zunie75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can some one point me in the direction of the Speculation and Rumors thread? I Seem to have stumbled into the Love or Hate Stajan and Doan Thread.
Jesus, this is the Flames off season now? Debating a 33 year old 4th liner and a 40 year old should be retiree?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #1256
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I didn't agree with Lou's take on the FAN this morning that the Flames should consider adding a Bonino or Hanzal in the offseason. I get that many want Bennett on the wing but this team has enough centers that they do not need to bring one in during free agency.
When are people going to learn that Hanzel is subtraction by addition. He makes every team he plays for worse. HARD PASS!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #1257
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Getting called a goof is a personal insult? Oh off-season you're my favourite.
Well anyone that has done time or is involved with lower end social groups would consider the term 'goof' as being one of the worst possible slurs to be thrown at them. Just saying.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #1258
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunie75 View Post
Can some one point me in the direction of the Speculation and Rumors thread? I Seem to have stumbled into the Love or Hate Stajan and Doan Thread.
Jesus, this is the Flames off season now? Debating a 33 year old 4th liner and a 40 year old should be retiree?
I think the thread you're looking for is the Jankowski thread, good sir.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #1259
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm with GioforGM on this one.
It's GioforPM, but now that you mention it...
Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #1260
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think calling Stajan a "good forth line player" is an exaggeration on his abilities. He, in my opinion, is an average forth line player at best. Hence why I feel he is overrated. Now if you disagree with my assessment, thats too bad for you. No need to get all riled up over an aging 4th liner who will be gone in a year.

What do you define as a good fourth line player, Stajan does all the little things that helps teams win. He chips in with 5-10 goals a season and a dozen assists or so. He's perfect for his role if you ignore his contract.
Closed Thread