Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #12241
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think they can send him down to Stockton anymore without going through waivers
Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #12242
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
How in the world did Bennett not get some AHL time where he could make mistakes and learn how to play centre without the world watching his mistakes?
His rookie year, he was 19 years old and could not be sent to the AHL, but was too good to go back to junior. That's how.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #12243
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
His rookie year, he was 19 years old and could not be sent to the AHL, but was too good to go back to junior. That's how.
Not to mention he put up 18 goals and 36 points that season, and looked just fine.

I'm hoping the two years under Gulutzan were the problem, and he bounces back with a new coach.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #12244
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As an armchair psychologist, I feel Bennett has to learn how to get out of his own way. That's difficult for any age but especially at 21. I think his mental approach needs to be addressed because he putting so much pressure on himself to live up to his, and everyone else's expectations.

I would bet that he hears and reads all the stuff said about him - all the negativity about bust and how others in his draft class are doing. I think he's very sensitive to all that.

How do you tell someone to just not let it bother you? It's like telling someone with anxiety issues to stop being so anxious.

Bennett seems like the type to feel it all. The pressure from himself, fans, team mates and coaches. Playing in the league has got to be incredibly pressure packed.

During a long season it looks like his ability to stay on the even keel wavers and when he's down he tries too hard and makes things worse.

Peters and the vets needs to show him how to deal with these things - how to ignore the outside, ignorant masses and find that spot where the game is coming to him and he's not forcing too much.

His game is so attack minded that this is going to be his challenge. Understanding when and where to step on it and when to throttle down. How to do that instinctually.

He wants to impose his will all the time - which is good but he can do it in ways that aren't just attack! attack! all the time. You don't have to beat the defender one on one with a move, you can throttle down, create a gap between him and defender and shoot it through the guy. You don't have take the puck and crash the net hard every time, sometimes you can dish it off and find the soft spot for a one timer etc.

I remember a basketball player saying he had to learn he didn't need to make a highlight reel ooh ahh play every time he got possession. Once he learned that his game took off.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #12245
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
He did go back to junior as a 19 year old.

In his Draft +2 he had burnt a year on his ELC and could not be sent to the AHL?

You may be correct but it does not make any sense.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #12246
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In his Draft +2 he had burnt a year on his ELC and could not be sent to the AHL?

In 2014, Bennett was drafted.

2014/15 he sat all year with a shoulder injury, went back to junior near the end of the season and played 15 games (including playoffs, registering 27 points), then he joined the Flames for the playoffs playing 11 games (scoring 3 goals, and 1 assist) and burned a year off his ELC.

2015/16 he played the whole year with Flames, he scored 18 goals and 18 assists, he was only allowed to play OHL or NHL, and wasn't AHL eligible. His ELC had already kicked in because he played those playoff games in 2014/15 so going back to junior he would have still burned the 2nd year of his ELC, and he was too good for junior anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #12247
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are incorrect. Do you remember “18 year old Sam Bennett”

He would have had to be sent back to junior or the NHL after they burned his first year of the ELC in the playoffs the year before.

Bennett was never a 19 year old in junior. He turned 19 the summer between the flames playoff run and his rookie season.

Bennett did not look out of place when Hartley was the coach however he likely could have used some time in the AHL to develop but the Flamesmcould not send him there as a rookie due to his age. I believe it was NHL or OHL
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #12248
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don’t think they can send him down to Stockton anymore without going through waivers
Sam cannot be sent to the minors without having to clear waivers per capfriendly.com David Rittich also can't be sent to Stockton anymore without having to clear waivers but Gillies is still exempt for next season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #12249
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not to mention he put up 18 goals and 36 points that season, and looked just fine.

I'm hoping the two years under Gulutzan were the problem, and he bounces back with a new coach.
the 2015-16 might have been the worst year ever for the Flames. Their best line was Colborne - Backlund - Frolik and the Flames correctly identified a flaw in Colbourne that they did not qualify him and let him go for nothing.

Gaudreau and Monahan were 3rd line calibre players on the road.

It was Hamilton's 1st year and he was a steaming mess. Wideman got hurt, Russell traded. Hudler was on his way from a ppg season to being out of the league in 24 months.

Ferland after his great performance in the playoffs put up 4 goals in 71 games.

This team finished 8 pt ahead of the absolute bottom of the league

Bennett getting 18 goals 36 points masked his not being ready -11 and getting ice time and 8 points on the pp.

With 20-20 hind-sight it is hard to see a worse way to start your NHL career than on the 2015-16 Flames who started the season with high expectations due to getting to the 2nd round the year before.

Last edited by ricardodw; 05-12-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #12250
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
His assist total does not reflect his passing. I would argue playing with the calibre of players mony and johnny are, they inflate his production. Ferland is still valuable but he needs to hit way more. I believe he was one of the players tre accused of having no heart and just wanting to pump his own stats up. IMO of course.
Ferland was first on the team in hits with 171 in 77 games. Hathaway had 154, Bennett in 3rd with 140. Ferlands total icetime ranked 12th on the team and his TOI per game was ranked 14th.

His 171 hits ranked him 36th in the entire NHL. Only one player ahead of him with more hits, Dustin Brown, had more goals.

14 of those with more hits were defensemen, so he ranked 22nd in hits among forwards.

Pairing it down again to right wingers, only 7 RWers in the NHL had more hits.

Ferland needs to hit way more? I think his hit totals are obviously just fine.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #12251
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not think you can fault BT for picking Bennett in that draft, I think any GM would have taken him at 4. Flames fans can only hope that Peters can help turn his career around.

The frustrating part of that draft was at the time and still is picking Hunter Smith in particular and Hickey to a lesser extent over Brayden Point.

Point was an elite player in Bantam, an elite player in midget, he was one of Moose Jaw's top scorers in the playoffs as a 15 year old, he was almost a point a game player as a 16 year, in his draft year as a 17 year old he led his team in points with 91 points, a 36 point lead on 2nd place on the team, and in between time he played for Canada at U-17 and U-18. A homegrown kid to boot and we take a guy who his draft+1 that has never played even close to that level. That is the pick in my mind that was the big miss in 2014.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #12252
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy to say that with 20/20 hindsight
The lightning drafted Jonathan Macleod 4 picks after Smith.
In fact virtually every team passed over him in the second and third. Some twice
Old 05-13-2018, 04:04 AM   #12253
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Bennett in Ferlands position on the first line scores 30.
Bennett will miss the net.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #12254
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Bennett in Ferlands position on the first line scores 30.
Maybe on a soccer goal.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #12255
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett hasn't shown that he's a line driver, and unfortunately, the Flames haven't put him into a position to succeed...

Many ppl said the same thing last year: Bennett needs to be a complimentary piece, not a player that can generate things on his own.

Maybe, he can become that player again eventually, but he needs to get get his confidence back...he needs to play with established top end talent...get some pp time.

hoping that Peters understands that.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #12256
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Larry Brooks speculating that the Rangers might have interest in Adam Fox.

He is potentially offering up Hayes or Zibanejad in his speculation.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-o...site%20buttons

He also thinks Hayes will get around 5 years @ $4.5 million for his next contract.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #12257
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Larry Brooks speculating that the Rangers might have interest in Adam Fox.

He is potentially offering up Hayes or Zibanejad in his speculation.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-o...site%20buttons
Zibs!! I'd do that! Oh man.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #12258
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Zibanejad for Fox?!?!
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #12259
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I would do that
Old 05-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #12260
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Why would they trade their number one center for a prospect? Flames do Zibanejad for Fox no question.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread