Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #1101
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Doan is quite literally a less skilled, worse defensively and slower version of Brouwer. Sounds like he's trying to beg his way onto a roster where he is connected to the management. I don't blame him for trying.

(if it was about him)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #1102
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't get on board with Doan. Maybe if Treliving doesn't sign Brouwer you could look at bringing him in for a season but the team already has an unproductive veteran player on the roster and can't afford to waist a roster spot on an another potential unproductive vet.
So, Doan will be a bust with the Flames?

I will be okay with Doan at league minimum up to 1 million.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #1103
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be ok with Doan just so he could piss off the other teams lol. I'd prefer if it was Marleau, he can still play a good game.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #1104
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would take Doan unlike Brouwer he sticks up for his teamates.He has a nasty side i like.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #1105
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all in favour of the Flames signing a veteran player, but not Doan. Marleau, Williams, or even Iggy are far better options. I don't think Doan provides much of anything.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #1106
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Marleau will still be decent in 3 years. He still has his legs. I just doubt he is willing to leave California
Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #1107
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

A few years ago the Sharks wanted both Marleau & Thornton out of San Jose. Now that the deals are expiring they want them to stay? Sure. But I would guess at a pretty large discount and on short term deals. If a team like Montreal offers 3 years and a competitive wage that would do it I'd think.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #1108
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iggy > Doan
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #1109
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. The original report was corrected, and multiple attendees agreed that Treliving's story was about a UFA who had singled out four teams for whom he would like to play which he believes will be contenders. There was apparently nothing about retirement.
Had to be Foo

is your cat doing singing?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #1110
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
Had to be Foo
Foo had Vegas and Detroit on his list though.

No way those teams are looking anywhere close to contending.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #1111
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I just don't see it

they are bringing their top two lines back, they've opened up two holes as of now on the third line, and hope to bring Versteeg back. They have a full year of Lazar to fill one of them.

They have their fourth line with Bouma and Stajan on expiring deals. Brouwer you'd hope can step back into a top 9, but either way he's on the roster and has the other fourth line role.

There's no room for an iffy NHL winger at all on this team. Doing so would further screw Bennett in my mind.

If Marleau is in play then sure it trickles
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #1112
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also he discussed Foo by name at the event did he not? Why not disclose who the player was during the story then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #1113
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think Marleau will still be decent in 3 years. He still has his legs. I just doubt he is willing to leave California
That's, probably, the case. Even though most, if not all, of his immediate and extended family are in Saskatchewan and some in Calgary, I believe. There is no big reason for him to make any drastic changes to his life at this stage of his career. I'm guessing he'll take a stay-at-home discount and sign a reasonable 3-yr contract in SJ.

Would really like to see him playing for Calgary though...
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #1114
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Also he discussed Foo by name at the event did he not? Why not disclose who the player was during the story then.
Foo was signed yesterday. He made it sound like even though they can talk to players they are still under contracts to other teams until the first so can't speak publicly about it. He likely just didn't want to name names to keep the rumor somewhat under wraps.

He also made it sound like we have a chance at this player but by no means is it a lock they come here as it has to work for both sides
Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #1115
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If its not Marleau I dont want anyone
Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #1116
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Foo was signed yesterday. He made it sound like even though they can talk to players they are still under contracts to other teams until the first so can't speak publicly about it. He likely just didn't want to name names to keep the rumor somewhat under wraps.

He also made it sound like we have a chance at this player but by no means is it a lock they come here as it has to work for both sides
I think the point of the story was to illustrate to fans the sort of reputation the Flames are developing around the League. It is entirely possible that this is a player they are not even interested in signing, but mentioned it in the context of where the team is heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #1117
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the point of the story was to illustrate to fans the sort of reputation the Flames are developing around the League. It is entirely possible that this is a player they are not even interested in signing, but mentioned it in the context of where the team is heading.
100% that was the point of the story. He finished off the story stating that 3 years ago he wasn't fielding calls like this.

The question was: Are the Flames in a spot to sign an aging veteran to more or less "put us over the top"

The answer in short form was yes but before he said yes he told the story of a veteran who had his pick of teams proactively reach out to the Flames stating they were one of 4 teams he was looking at citing an opportunity to win as the reason.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #1118
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Marleau would be a great linemate for Bennett. And Bennett deserves better linemates. Could mentor him a bit and could help Bennett's confidence in his playmaking with how Marleau can put pucks in the net himself. Would be able to play the fast game and keep up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #1119
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I've said it before, but Marleau is one of my all-time faves. I'd love to have him on the Flames!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #1120
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I just don't see it

they are bringing their top two lines back, they've opened up two holes as of now on the third line, and hope to bring Versteeg back. They have a full year of Lazar to fill one of them.

They have their fourth line with Bouma and Stajan on expiring deals. Brouwer you'd hope can step back into a top 9, but either way he's on the roster and has the other fourth line role.

There's no room for an iffy NHL winger at all on this team. Doing so would further screw Bennett in my mind.

If Marleau is in play then sure it trickles
Sticking one of bouma or stajan in the minors helps solve some of that as well as giving Calgary some cap relief.
Closed Thread