Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #1421
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
GM’s at this point probably wait with baited breath
If their breath smells like bait, they should probably get a a breath mint.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #1422
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
David Staples blocked me ...
Congratulations, D'Arcy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #1423
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has any player led the league in points like that without dragging a player from his team into the top 20 as well? Iggy got Conroy into number 15 in points in 2001-02. St. Louis put Stillman into the top 20. Thornton put Cheechoo there.

I guess Ovie in 07-08.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #1424
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Has any player led the league in points like that without dragging a player from his team into the top 20 as well? Iggy got Conroy into number 15 in points in 2001-02. St. Louis put Stillman into the top 20. Thornton put Cheechoo there.

I guess Ovie in 07-08.
What I want to know has a so called "best player in the league" missed the playoffs twice in a row in any sport? For the NBA Lebron never did, NFL Brady never did.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #1425
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Speaking of Staples......10 things the oilers need in order to make the playoffs (revisited).

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...18-19-playoffs

For those who want the coles notes:

- Mcdavid 120 points
- Talbot at or above his career year
- Klefbom/Nurse becomes a true #1 D
- Drasaitl earns his contract
- Back up steals games when Talbot isn't in net
- all their support players (Rattie, Strome, Puljujarvi, etc) actually do something on the PP
- bottom 6 actually gets on the scoresheet
- better player utilization from the coach
- RNH earns his contract on the top line

I will be surprised if the oilers have 3 out of 10 at this point. I can see Mcdavid with 120 points, maybe RNH does well on the top line, and MAYBE the coach actually coaches.

Good luck with the rest, because at this point NONE of the above is happening.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #1426
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

you're in a lot of trouble when even the biggest homer thinks the top player NEEDS to score 120 to give you a chance. Simply a bad hockey team.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #1427
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Speaking of Staples......10 things the oilers need in order to make the playoffs (revisited).

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...18-19-playoffs

For those who want the coles notes:

- Mcdavid 120 points
- Talbot at or above his career year
- Klefbom/Nurse becomes a true #1 D
- Drasaitl earns his contract
- Back up steals games when Talbot isn't in net
- all their support players (Rattie, Strome, Puljujarvi, etc) actually do something on the PP
- bottom 6 actually gets on the scoresheet
- better player utilization from the coach
- RNH earns his contract on the top line

I will be surprised if the oilers have 3 out of 10 at this point. I can see Mcdavid with 120 points, maybe RNH does well on the top line, and MAYBE the coach actually coaches.

Good luck with the rest, because at this point NONE of the above is happening.
2 at best - McDavid and maybe Talbot can have a good year. I don't think RNH actually "earns" his $6M contract until he's a high end player on his own. He doesn't add much to the top line. Put a mediocre player like Sven in that spot and he gets as many points.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #1428
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
you're in a lot of trouble when even the biggest homer thinks the top player NEEDS to score 120 to give you a chance. Simply a bad hockey team.
I'm not even sure it's a good indicator in his case, given his deployment and what happens in garbage time (in games and in the season).
Old 10-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #1429
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
...I can see Mcdavid with 120 points...
I can't. For this to actually happen McDavid needs to blitz the League in October and November before coaches have defences and goalies settled into a stronger rhythm that will inevitably bring scoring back closer to 2.5 goals/game for their teams. (There are presently 17 teams with +3 G/GP, and the Maple Leafs are not going to finish the season anywhere close to a 4.8 G/GP output.) He looks like he is doing everything he can for that pathetic team through three games, but is barely in the League's top-fifty scorers. He will get his points, but I think the dream of 120 is already dead.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #1430
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 Alex Ovechkin 2017-18 WSH 49 38 87
2 Evgeny Kuznetsov 2017-18 WSH 27 56 83
3 Nicklas Backstrom 2017-18 WSH 21 50 71
4 John Carlson 2017-18 WSH 15 53 68
5 T.J. Oshie 2017-18 WSH 18 29 47
6 Lars Eller 2017-18 WSH 18 20 38
7 Tom Wilson 2017-18 WSH 14 21 35
8 Dmitry Orlov 2017-18 WSH 10 21 31
9 Matt Niskanen 2017-18 WSH 7 22 29
10 Brett Connolly 2017-18 WSH 15 12 27

Braden Holtby 2017-18 WSH G 34 16 0 4 .907 2.99

Obviously the answer isn't a team it's one player with 140 pts and a goalie with a 2.00 save percentage.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #1431
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when Edmonton just needed some Dmen to be a good team. Years later they still need Dmen but now also have one of the worst collections of wingers in the league.

Chia has been everything I hoped for when he took over that Edmonton job. He is very much like Jay Feaster. Both are just horrible GM’s (especially at trades) but at the end of the day both have a cup ring
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #1432
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I remember when Edmonton just needed some Dmen to be a good team. Years later they still need Dmen but now also have one of the worst collections of wingers in the league.

Chia has been everything I hoped for when he took over that Edmonton job. He is very much like Jay Feaster. Both are just horrible GM’s (especially at trades) but at the end of the day both have a cup ring
Yup Chia got really exposed of how bad of a GM he is, the thing is if he gets fired he probably gets hired as a GM with some other team.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #1433
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
David Staples blocked me ...

I guess it was inevitable as he tends to block anyone that gets in the way of that kool aid wave up there, but I haven't even responded to one of his tweets in over a month.

May have been this one to their HHOF rep though.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1050860667052294144
Its funny because he really just proved your point.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #1434
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I can't. For this to actually happen McDavid needs to blitz the League in October and November before coaches have defences and goalies settled into a stronger rhythm that will inevitably bring scoring back closer to 2.5 goals/game for their teams. (There are presently 17 teams with +3 G/GP, and the Maple Leafs are not going to finish the season anywhere close to a 4.8 G/GP output.) He looks like he is doing everything he can for that pathetic team through three games, but is barely in the League's top-fifty scorers. He will get his points, but I think the dream of 120 is already dead.
Or, he gets 120 if the Oilers are out of the POs even earlier than last year and no one cares.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #1435
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Or, he gets 120 if the Oilers are out of the POs even earlier than last year and no one cares.
I just don't see how, though. As good as McBaby is there are limits to what one player can do in the NHL. He has practically no one to play with, and I think he is going to really feel it this season.

· If the Oilers keep their current lines together there is one effective scoring player on the entire team.
· If they move Draisaitl back up to the top line it badly exposes every other on-ice situation when McDonut is on the bench.

McLellan still needs to coach in this league, and even if the Oilers are out of the playoff hunt earlier than usual this season he is going to be doing his damnedest to have that garbage heap-of-a-roster appearing as competitive as possible.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-15-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #1436
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I just don't see how, though. As good as McBaby is there are limits to what one player can do in the NHL. He has practically no one to play with, and I think he is going to really feel it this season.

· If the Oilers keep their current lines together there is one effective scoring player on the entire team.
· If they move Draisaitl back up to the top line it badly exposes every other on-ice situation when McDonut is on the bench.

McLellan still needs to coach in this league, and even if the Oilers are out of the playoff hunt earlier than usual this season he is going to be doing his damnedest to have that garbage heap-of-a-roster appearing as competitive as possible.
I wasn't totally serious.

McDavid's points this year that I've seen are on his usual rushes down the wing. The Ds are going to read this soon, and he's going to slow down.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #1437
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Edmonton imploding early is the worst case scenario as a Flames fan though.

- They are again in the running for a top 5 pick
- It's likely they clean house with coaches, management, etc and you run the risk they hire someone who knows what they are doing.

They need to be mediocre, barely miss the playoffs, and keep all the personnel status quo.

It's hilariously unbeleivable that we have this conversation every year too. I remember thinking along the same lines back in what, 2006? 2007? and every year since. Is someone actively sabotaging that franchise from the inside out? It's hard to believe that they can continue to be THAT incompetent......and yet here we are, where the new oil is the same as the old oil.

It's fascinating.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #1438
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

McDavid is up 2.5 minutes per game to start the season.

Also interesting to see Peters has three forward with more than 20 minutes of ice time, last year Gaudreau led with 19.5
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #1439
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What gets me is blocking someone that disagrees with you. I don't name call, belittle, use names ... keep it above board.

But they don't want to hear dissenting opinions at all.
Honestly I don't think Staples column is about opinions as the purpose is primarily propaganda. To keep telling the fans that good times are ahead and blame anything bad on the league, other teams, non-Edmonton media, etc. That's basically all his articles offer as there's no insight or sound reasoning.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #1440
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid is up 2.5 minutes per game to start the season.

Also interesting to see Peters has three forward with more than 20 minutes of ice time, last year Gaudreau led with 19.5
I saw he was on the PK. I understand that he's probably one of the better players on PK, but really, you need to get people on the ice just so that aren't totally unfocused and out of game shape.
Closed Thread