Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #521
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have Shaw open in our office. Netflix works no problem here either.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #522
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just called to cancel my tv but keep 150. I'm not in a Telus high speed area. They offered 150 + sports and a couple other channels for $116 a month. I got 150 for 2 years at $78.25.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #523
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

We dropped cable a couple years ago, and Shaw is frequently offering us promotions to try to get us back. A year ago we did a couple months at a reduced rate, but felt it still wasn't worth it, and dropped cable again. The headache around the billing, how they added the new bill and removed it, left a bad taste in my mouth. But we stuck with Shaw for our phone and internet.

So I get a call a couple weeks ago from Shaw offering a basic cable package of 47 channels for $10 a month, no fee for the digital box. Seems too good to be true, so I asked a bunch of questions - what other charges were involved, how long the deal was for, etc. Guy says it's $10 a month, period. No contract necessary, not a temporary trial, but fixed for at least two years. I say okay.

The cable box arrives, I set it up, and then I look at my bill. It's way more than $10 a month. After spending an hour on the phone this morning and talking to four people, turns out the agent had no authority to make that offer. The best they can do is $15 a month for six months. So I cancel the whole thing, and now I have to bring the digital box back to their location at Chinook.

Shaw is skating on very thin ice with me.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #524
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do everything over chat and save the chat session at the end. Unfortunately that is what it has come to.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #525
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I do everything over chat and save the chat session at the end. Unfortunately that is what it has come to.
I did the same. During the conversation when I updated to BlueSky the rep told me that all boxes were 4K. They guy showed up and only had one 4K box and 3 portals. I showed him the chat and had him call in and after a small chat he came back with 3 4K boxes so I had one for every tv. No extra charge because it was originally offered to me.

Saving chat saved me the rental fees if 3 extra boxes as well as the frustration so it’s the only way I operate with them now.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #526
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I did the same. During the conversation when I updated to BlueSky the rep told me that all boxes were 4K. They guy showed up and only had one 4K box and 3 portals. I showed him the chat and had him call in and after a small chat he came back with 3 4K boxes so I had one for every tv. No extra charge because it was originally offered to me.

Saving chat saved me the rental fees if 3 extra boxes as well as the frustration so it’s the only way I operate with them now.
I might have to do this from now on as well. I was offered the exact same thing. I wanted more than the single 500gb drive. Was told I would get multple 4k boxes each with a 500gb for 1.5 total. I guess 3 is the max that can be connected together.

They showed up with 1 4K box and 3 satellites. I have since fought to get one more and need to call again to get a third as each person has a different story. First person said they would be networked together and see each other and share recording space with each other. Second and third said they would be completely separate networks. Once I finally got the second and confirmed that they do indeed see each other and a single recording list I need to call again and fight for the third. Problem is not sure if they would do the third for free as the last person told me I was already maxed on credits
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #527
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
They are correct at only 3 boxes networked together. My 4th didn’t see the recordings so a portal was replaced with it. The other box is still in its box since the rental is free. I was told they can’t make the box rentals free so instead they discounted my internet and cable the amount of 4 box rentals. So far my bill has been correct.

Always do chat man, even when I have a service issue I pull out my iPad and do chat over LTE because one hand doesn’t talk to the other I have noticed.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #528
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
^
They are correct at only 3 boxes networked together. My 4th didn’t see the recordings so a portal was replaced with it. The other box is still in its box since the rental is free. I was told they can’t make the box rentals free so instead they discounted my internet and cable the amount of 4 box rentals. So far my bill has been correct.

Always do chat man, even when I have a service issue I pull out my iPad and do chat over LTE because one hand doesn’t talk to the other I have noticed.
Thanks for the info.

So you have a total of 1.5tb of recording space among the 3. Have you found that the space remaining % is fairly accurate? After I added the second it still seems to reflect like there is 500gb since a single HD show will increase it 1-2% for me.
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #529
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
Thanks for the info.

So you have a total of 1.5tb of recording space among the 3. Have you found that the space remaining % is fairly accurate? After I added the second it still seems to reflect like there is 500gb since a single HD show will increase it 1-2% for me.
I can’t comment on space but there is 37 episodes of doc mcstuffins that my daughter put on there and it’s only 8% used. All those episodes are HD. There is about 6-8 other shows on there as well in HD so I’m assuming it’s combined but I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #530
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you sure? Doc McStuffins is on Disney Junior which isn't HD on shaw for some reason
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #531
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Are you sure? Doc McStuffins is on Disney Junior which isn't HD on shaw for some reason
I Just checked and you are correct. Doc McStuffins & Toy Hospital is in SD (Now up to 86 Episodes) and Vampirina is in HD (42 episodes).

I am at 14% full and have the full season of Colony, Masterchef and about 20 some odd episodes of TLC crap in HD my wife watches.

Last edited by Diemenz; 09-25-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #532
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I Just checked and you are correct. Doc McStuffins & Toy Hospital is in SD (Now up to 86 Episodes) and Vampirina is in HD (42 episodes).

I am at 14% full and have the full season of Colony, Masterchef and about 20 some odd episodes of TLC crap in HD my wife watches.
I only know because I have over 100 kids shows from disney junior on my PVR and they take up next to no space (and look terrible although the kids don't seem to care at all)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #533
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I only know because I have over 100 kids shows from disney junior on my PVR and they take up next to no space (and look terrible although the kids don't seem to care at all)
In all fairness I thought the first time I saw The Matrix on DVD on my parents 1992 TV the picture was incredible.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #534
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have Blue Sky and Center Ice?

I'm wondering if you have the ability to toggle between games when pushing the "C" button for sports.

I can't jump to a game through that screen, but can when I go to the guide, and navigate to NHL games.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #535
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-23-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #536
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Netflix works again on Shaw Open at YYC. Not sure why it didn't for a month + but its back up
Old 10-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #537
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was disappointed to find out SHAW FreeRange TV doesn't work outside of Canada. Was trying to watch F1 at my hotel on Sunday (in the Caribbean for work) and it was a no go.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #538
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I was disappointed to find out SHAW FreeRange TV doesn't work outside of Canada. Was trying to watch F1 at my hotel on Sunday (in the Caribbean for work) and it was a no go.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

$40 US per year, or $70 for 2 years. They have apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, and have servers around the world including 3 in Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal). I use it to watch DirectTV NOW on my Nvidia Shield box and it works great. They also have browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome so you can run only a browser window through VPN while the rest of your traffic stays local

It's become such second nature for me to fire it up if I run into any kind of geo-blocking stuff that I forget it's even an issue. PIA is also fast at updating their servers if they start getting blocked, they're one of the only VPN's I'm aware of that still works for getting US Netflix for example
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #539
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
they're one of the only VPN's I'm aware of that still works for getting US Netflix for example
Really? PIA has never worked for me when firing up Netflix.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:56 PM   #540
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Really? PIA has never worked for me when firing up Netflix.

I just connected to the Seattle server and it works fine
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote