Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #341
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...led_186119.asp

Quote:
According to Jason Ward of Making Star Wars, the next slate of films will explore the “High Republic” era of the galaxy. What exactly does that mean? Well here’s what Ward has to say...

“Sources are saying the next Star Wars Saga is going to take place during an era called “The High Republic” era. It sounds like the setting is 400 years before the Skywalker Saga. This new saga is set during a time that the Sith’s “Rule of Two” has been established by Darth Bane, and Yoda is a Jedi but isn’t the old Jedi we know from the Skywalker era.”

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #342
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess her brief cameo as Rey's mother wasn't enough Star Wars for Jodie Comer, so she decided to wear a dress that looks like Yoda to the Golden Globes...

Old 01-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #343
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should be interesting (if they plan out an entire cohesive plot arc and allow time for a worthy script to be developed). I like that it will distance itself nicely from everything Skywalker related. They need to break free from all of the old ties in the worst way to do something completely original within the universe. I'm okay with Yoda being the one living link to that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #344
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what order would one watch the cartoons? Clone Wars (all season) then Rebels and then resistance? I am assuming that Clone Wars and Rebels are all pre-New Hope. Resistance is pre-Force awakens. Is that about right?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #345
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This might be useful to get a good idea of where it all fits:

sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #346
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So what order would one watch the cartoons? Clone Wars (all season) then Rebels and then resistance? I am assuming that Clone Wars and Rebels are all pre-New Hope. Resistance is pre-Force awakens. Is that about right?

This last upcoming season ends with the events of Order 66.

Rebels takes place pre death star 1, and they find evidence of the Death Star Construction in orbit around Geonosis. I always expected that they would touch on the destruction of Alderaan in the last season, but it ends shortly before that event.

Resistance takes place shortly before and during the events of TFA, we even see the firing of Starkiller base in season 1.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #347
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

If this is true then I really hope they learn their lessons and make some of the pre-ANH EU books canon. I get why they needed to clean the slate of all the post-ROTJ stuff for the new trilogy, but there's no need to do that this time and there are a lot of great books to draw material from
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #348
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

High republic era could be pretty neat. A chance to introduce a whole new cast of characters, and a new look at the ever popular Yoda.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #349
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
High republic era could be pretty neat. A chance to introduce a whole new cast of characters, and a new look at the ever popular Yoda.

It would be cool, the only issue is who's the enemy? Pirate gangs?

The problem with the concept of the high republic, is that the Sith are still in hiding working on their grand plan. There aren't any real enemies, everything is good.

There could be some incredible story concepts that could be adopted from the Old Republic that could make incredible movies

The first split of the Jedi Order that lead to the 100 years of darkness and the creation of the Sith.

The rise of the Pius Dea crusades, where the Old Republic was ruled by a religious order that was equivalent to the Inquisition.

Of course the Sith Empire/Republic war

Even the Darth Revan Mandalorian Wars would make an awesome series of movies.

The rise of Darth Bane and the rule of two.

Those stories all took place way before the 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Then when you look at the time line, the story goes from 1000 years before until about 70 years before with Darth Plagieus. Just not much happened. But I guess the benefit is its a relatively free period of Star Wars history.

But what I don't want is a rebellious teenage Yoda.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #350
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Jabba the Hut and Maz Kanata were also alive 400 years before Luke.

I think picking this time period for the next movies is a smart move. Like Bioware did with the previously empty era of the old republic, picking an unexplored era allows for creative freedom without having to contend with the fanbase's preconceived ideas.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #351
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The problem with the concept of the high republic, is that the Sith are still in hiding working on their grand plan. There aren't any real enemies, everything is good.
Looking back, Bane's rule of 2 was an utter failure. It took the Sith a millennium under that system to become a threat and topple the republic, and then their new empire lasted a whole 25 years before being snuffed out. Before that rule they had multiple empires that rivaled the republic at times and lasted for centuries

If they ever make movies set after Rise of Skywalker, I hope they abandon that rule for the Sith so they can become a real threat again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #352
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, the Jedi are my favorite part of Star Wars so I hope any new movies or trilogies they do revolve around the Jedi, future or past. Surely there were some epic struggles over the past 1,000 generations that would make for good cinema.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #353
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Looking back, Bane's rule of 2 was an utter failure. It took the Sith a millennium under that system to become a threat and topple the republic, and then their new empire lasted a whole 25 years before being snuffed out. Before that rule they had multiple empires that rivaled the republic at times and lasted for centuries

If they ever make movies set after Rise of Skywalker, I hope they abandon that rule for the Sith so they can become a real threat again

I think the rule of two was really actually smart and pretty successful.

The problem with the Sith Empire was that it collapsed more due to infighting and jealousy then anything the Republic did, and throughout the Star Wars universe history it was that way. The Sith would reach a height of power and then fall apart. The most successful Siths in the Old Republic were Revan with the rule of two, though he was properaly betrayed by Malak, And Vitiate the Sith emperor but that's because he was as powerful as it gets.

In Bane's age he saw the Brotherhood of darkness and it was literally dragged down by the weaker Sith. Plus he realized when you had a massive Empire of Sith you would bring the Jedi down on you and because you had spread the power of the dark side among all of these Sith, the individual Sith were weaker. He also hated the concept of equality that Lord Kaan instituted where all Sith were equal Brothers.

Bane who was powerful realized a few things.

A Sith who trains more then one apprentice is a fool because frankly eventually his two or more weaker apprentices would combine to destroy the master, thus the Sith would become weaker.

Equality is a lie, you gain power by breaking the chains that hold you down with the masses.

Plus the Sith needed to evolve knowledge wise.

As well if the Sith stayed hidden and used guile and deception they would eventually lull the jedi to sleep.

With the rule of two it was one master and one apprentice one to have the power and one to crave it. The Apprentice would work to surpass the master and at that point kill the master and start the cycle. In effect each generation was more powerful then the last. The Sith also studied both sides of the force, the Jedi were frightened of the dark.

You would call Palpatine a failure, but in the end basically one Sith Lord executed a 3000 year old grand plan. Destroyed the Jedi and conquered the Republic without fighting a war to do it. The war was the chess game, the grand plan was the virus within the war.

That too me is extreme success. Where Palpatine faltered is where the Jedi failed. He became arrogant and complacent and I believe the Force turned on him.

Years later in the EU Darth Krayt conquered the galaxy under the One Rule. In going back to the whole Bane thing he built a group of Sith Followers under the rule of one enlightened powerful Sith. And what happened? They eventually turned on him and betrayed him.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #354
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Honestly, the Jedi are my favorite part of Star Wars so I hope any new movies or trilogies they do revolve around the Jedi, future or past. Surely there were some epic struggles over the past 1,000 generations that would make for good cinema.

The reason why I would love to see an Old Repbulic era movie is that the Jedi back then really weren't like the modern Jedi, they were pretty blood thirsty and brutal, they were generals and commanders who weren't afraid of things like genocide and betrayal if they felt they were following the right minded path of the light side of the Force.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #355
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just got disney+ and am catching up with resistance. Is there a thread specifically for this series? Wanna see what others think... animation looks... 2005 anime style.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #356
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Just got disney+ and am catching up with resistance. Is there a thread specifically for this series? Wanna see what others think... animation looks... 2005 anime style.

We put it in the Rebel's thread, but it didn't get much play there.

I've watched it, its just really hard to get into, The story itself hasn't gone anywhere and as weird as it sounds, it doesn't have the edge hero's in jeopardy of Rebels or TCW.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #357
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d love to see Darth Revan in some way. He was recently made canon.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #358
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He was originally going to be made Canon in TCW's. In the episode where Bane was made New Canon with Yoda they were going to have Revan as sell.

Now if they could make Darth Rivan Canon that would be awesome

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darth_Rivan

Quote:
Darth Rivan was a Zelosian male who was a Sith Lord during the time of the New Sith Wars, having taken his Sith name from a corrupted Sith manuscript which identified Darth Revan,

Old 01-11-2020, 01:33 AM   #359
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So because I'm not sleeping well anyways. I thought I'd put a quick book recommendation down here for anyone that wants to read some Star Wars to fill in the blanks. Here's my recommendations, and they're in order of dates

EU Legends

Old Republic Reven - Takes place around 4000 years before the Battle of Yavin, Reven became a key character in the Legends EU. There were really three video games and a novel focused around him. Reven was a Jedi who eventually fell to the Dark Side of the Force but was ultimately redeemed. This book takes place after the events of KOTOR1 and introduces the main character for KOTOR 2 and takes place a long time before he returns in TOR. This book includes a key encounter with the Sith Emperor and has a really tragic bitter sweet ending.

Darth Bane Trilogy - I would put this up as the best series of Star Wars books. It is a biography of the life of Darth Bane who was a miner on a distant planet who eventually found himself as the creator of the Rule of Two. The first novel is outstanding. The other two novels add his apprentice Darth Zannah and really shows the master apprentice dynamic and how the rule of two really works. Bane is the ultimate anti-hero here. He's not truly the villain here, but he's not good at all. Takes place 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin

Darth Plageuis This takes place starting about 70 years before the battle of Yavin and ends at the end of Phantom Menace. Again it focuses on a villain that was mentioned in passing in the movies. But he's the latest in a long line of Sith Lords. Shortly after killing his own master he searches for an Apprentice and finds a young, ambitious but directionless noble named Palpatine who is powerful in the Force and takes him on as his apprentice. Palpatine is a scene stealer and makes this book facinating as we see him play the political game and use guile and deception to rise to power.

What I call the revenge of the Sith trilogy. Three books Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith and Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader. LOE takes place shortly before Revenge of the Sith and follows both the hunt for Sidious and Anakin and Obi-Wan's hunt for Dooku. We see Anakin at both the top of his power, but we also see a young man who is struggling with trust and his role with the Jedi. The book ends just before ROTS.

ROTS - For those that were disgruntled with the movie, the Novel is really outstanding. The conversation between Anakin and Palpatine after Palpatine reveals himself is outstanding and really makes it easy to understand why Anakin would be tempted. The first appearance of Vader as he slaughters the seperatists with pure joy, and the last chapter that is basically called This is what its like to be Darth Vader, which is amazing, tragic, and sad as Anakin describes waking up in his suit as Vader for the first time.

Dark Lord - Awesome novel its starts before order 66 with a group of Jedi betrayed by their Clone Troopers and then follows Anakin who is not quite Vader yet and is unsure of his place in this world. Palpatine really steals the book though as you find out how malicious he really is and how smart he was at that point.

The Thrawn Trilogy - It hasn't aged well to be honest and most of the history in the book was flipped on its ears by the PT. But still a very strong read and introduces Thrawn to the Star Wars univers.

X-Wing series- Simply really well written I think 9 book offering.

Legacy of the Force - Its an ambition 9 novel read. But its very good. It takes place 40 years after the battle of Yavin and follows the fall of Han and Leia's son Jacen as he becomes Darth Caedus and tries to bring Luke's son Ben to the dark side as his apprentice. At some point these books are dark and violent. But its a better story then the ST as far as I'm concerned. Caedus is in a lot of ways a far nastier Sith Lord the Vader was as he was a crusader that believed absolutely in his reasoning for becoming a Sith Lord

Now people will ask about the New Jedi Order and the Vong invader, but it was just a long hard read at about 20 separate books it was ok, but despite the cool concept of a self mutilating theocratic outside of the Force invader, it just didn't resonate with me.

New EU recommendations

Aftermath - At times its a frustrating read but its a three novel set that takes us from the fall of the Empire to the Battle of Jakku. The main character is a teenage Snap Wexley from the movie and his mother and friends. This book also laid out what the contingency that Palpatine laid out and the beginnings of the First Order.

New Dawn is a pretty decent outing for Rebels fans as it goes through the first meeting between Hera and Kanan, The Villain is a bit weird though.

The new Thrawn series of books aren't bad, and go through Thrawns early life to his work both with Anakin Skywalker and later Darth Vader (He figures it out). And leads up to the events of Rebels. Its pretty good, Thrawn is a lot more Ruthless then in the Legends EU

Tarkin - This book had its seriously good moments as its almost like a detective novel with Tarkin unraveling a threat to his death star project and Vader is heavily involved.

Ashoka - Wasn't bad, it follows her on the run from the Empire and leads up to her becoming Fulcrum. At times it was a little goofy, but it wasn't terrible.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 02:41 AM   #360
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Enough space fighting, make more jedi stuff.
If you look at the youtube clips for the Rebels series, the clips with jedi fights have the most views (by far).
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote