Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #241
IgnitedSoul
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you want to avoid dealing with people altogether, there's the option of ordering it online.

All you have to do is go to Koodo's site, find the phone

Spoiler!

see that "Use Tab"? drag it to the left, click Add to Cart, and then go through the motions of ordering it. You get free shipping, and I, personally, had it at my door in less than 48 hours (though they did require a signature upon delivery).

It did also come with a Koodo SIM that shows up on the bill as $10, but it never got added to the total, so I've just ignored it.
IgnitedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgnitedSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #242
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I brought my Nexus 4 in and got the $30/month plan, then used my $10 monthly credit to get voicemail for free essentially.
How'd you get a $10 monthly credit? Promo or some sort of loyalty deal?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #243
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
How'd you get a $10 monthly credit? Promo or some sort of loyalty deal?
Its their offer for when you bring in your own phone:
http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/Br...rOwnPhone.aspx
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #244
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any of you live in Deer Run? Is the coverage any better there than the big 3? (It can't be worse. I have one bar on a good day and have to stand in a certain part of my house to make calls, thats with Bell and Telus - I have had both. A friend couldn't use her rogers phone at my place. A co-worked lives in my area and has no cell phone service in his home at all - he's Telus, but also has tried Bell)

EDIT:
Going to edit and ask some more as well... I think i understand but just checking.
1 - So by canada wide talk and global texting - as long as I am in a home zone I can call my friend in Kelowna and text my friends in the states for free. If I leave the "home" zone then I pay 0.20/min to talk and 0.15/text? Correct?
2 - If I think I'll be out of the home area a lot - is there a set price add on I can add to negate the per minute fees?

Last edited by MaDMaN_26; 08-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.
MaDMaN_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #245
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
Any of you live in Deer Run? Is the coverage any better there than the big 3? (It can't be worse. I have one bar on a good day and have to stand in a certain part of my house to make calls, thats with Bell and Telus - I have had both. A friend couldn't use her rogers phone at my place. A co-worked lives in my area and has no cell phone service in his home at all - he's Telus, but also has tried Bell)
Just a heads up, when it comes to cell coverage Telus and Bell are effectively the same since they share cell towers.

Anywho, I would strongly consider Wind for you, especially in Deer Run. Wind has a cell tower just east of Bow Bottom tr, just south of Deer Run St Se. If you look at the coverage map Wind is the only thing near you in the immediate area. The nearest Telus/Bell or Rogers towers are north of you at Canyon Meadows dr and even then Wind has another tower south of that closest to you.

Try to check it out first though, get a hold of a Wind sim card from a friend and see how it works.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #246
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Just a heads up, when it comes to cell coverage Telus and Bell are effectively the same since they share cell towers.

Anywho, I would strongly consider Wind for you, especially in Deer Run. Wind has a cell tower just east of Bow Bottom tr, just south of Deer Run St Se. If you look at the coverage map Wind is the only thing near you in the immediate area. The nearest Telus/Bell or Rogers towers are north of you at Canyon Meadows dr and even then Wind has another tower south of that closest to you.

Try to check it out first though, get a hold of a Wind sim card from a friend and see how it works.
I appreciate that... I'll start asking around. But looking at that map - ya seems like wind might be a good choice.

Need to find a friend with Wind.

So I have a Galaxy S3 from Telus - I'd have to pay it off to leave them but it may be worth while. Anyone know if the S3's are compatible with Wind? I know they have a wierd frequency...

Also I'm reading the nexus thread and the other thread about "help me pick my next network" and it seems people are saying go to Kodo and buy a nexus...

Just curious if you do that is it not then "branded" for lack of a better term to Bell and so you cannot update the OS without them?

Maybe a better question is how often does wind provide OS updates, or do they need too? maybe they don't bunk up their phones with a Bell/Telus-ish load screen and you can simply upgrade your OS whenever a new version of android drops?
Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #247
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A lot to cover here so won't be in depth...

Quote:

EDIT:
Going to edit and ask some more as well... I think i understand but just checking.
1 - So by canada wide talk and global texting - as long as I am in a home zone I can call my friend in Kelowna and text my friends in the states for free. If I leave the "home" zone then I pay 0.20/min to talk and 0.15/text? Correct?
Yup, correct. When you're in the Wind zone, you're good to go with whatever your plans says.

Quote:
2 - If I think I'll be out of the home area a lot - is there a set price add on I can add to negate the per minute fees?
No, I don't believe so. When it comes to talking/text and roaming on Wind I honestly don't worry about it. Even if I am out for a longer period then normal I still end up paying a fraction of what I would with any of the big three. I do turn off Data when roaming though as that can get costly. I am then just more diligent about being on Wifi.

Quote:
So I have a Galaxy S3 from Telus - I'd have to pay it off to leave them but it may be worth while. Anyone know if the S3's are compatible with Wind? I know they have a wierd frequency...
It's not weird, just different!

Unfortunately though your S3 from Telus is not compatible with Wind's AWS frequency.

Quote:
Also I'm reading the nexus thread and the other thread about "help me pick my next network" and it seems people are saying go to Kodo and buy a nexus...
People are saying go buy the Nexus 4 from Koodo but don't use it on their network, they're suggesting that because Koodo has a great price for the N4 and apparently aren't forcing you to sign a contract in order to purchase it, which is odd but good.

Quote:
Just curious if you do that is it not then "branded" for lack of a better term to Bell and so you cannot update the OS without them?

Maybe a better question is how often does wind provide OS updates, or do they need too? maybe they don't bunk up their phones with a Bell/Telus-ish load screen and you can simply upgrade your OS whenever a new version of android drops?
Google Nexus phones are totally unlocked, the Nexus 4 works on all networks and has zero bloatware from any carrier. Carriers cannot lock it nor can they put their own software on it. It's 100% a Google phone and is pure Android.

When it comes to phones like the HTC One or the Samsung Galaxy series of phones software updates to their version of Android are done by them, then passed onto the carriers. With a Nexus you bypass all this coverage.

When Android 4.3 was announced a month back, I had the update on my phone three days later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #248
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Google Nexus phones are totally unlocked, the Nexus 4 works on all networks and has zero bloatware from any carrier. Carriers cannot lock it nor can they put their own software on it. It's 100% a Google phone and is pure Android.

When it comes to phones like the HTC One or the Samsung Galaxy series of phones software updates to their version of Android are done by them, then passed onto the carriers. With a Nexus you bypass all this coverage.

When Android 4.3 was announced a month back, I had the update on my phone three days later.
Ya the lack of OS update is one of my major peeves... not being able to use my phone in my home that is well within the city limits is a bigger one, but it seems as though these other carriers have decided that a great way to force consumers to upgrade or buy new phones is to never ever update the one they sold us last year. Not only is it complete B.S. that a perfectly good phone is rendered "old" because they don't see any money in providing updates but there are security holes and flaws that are left undealt with as well... all so they can say "Telus" on the screen when I boot up the phone, in case I forgot who I bought it from and pay every month :\

Isn't there a new Nexus on the horizon? maybe I'd be better off waiting for that... paying off my S3 right now is going to be about ~$300 and then the nexus 4 another ~$300... I figured if I could use my S3 then probably worth it... buuut.... hmm.

Last edited by MaDMaN_26; 08-26-2013 at 12:24 PM.
MaDMaN_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #249
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

One thing I was reading online (and I only got one source) is that the Nexus is 3G only- no LTE.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #250
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
One thing I was reading online (and I only got one source) is that the Nexus is 3G only- no LTE.
Yup, it does do 4G in the form of HSPDA+ but I always mention that when recommending this phone to anyone. Lack of LTE could make it a no sale for some. Of course since we're talking about Wind Mobile here people should be aware before switching that they do not currently have an LTE network so it's a Moot point.

Madman, although nothing official you'll likely see a new Nexus 4 around December. I'd imagine LTE would be in that device... Timed perfectly for Wind to capitalise on the 700mghz LTE auction in January... ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #251
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedSoul View Post
You get free shipping, and I, personally, had it at my door in less than 48 hours (though they did require a signature upon delivery).
Do you recall who delivered it? Canada Post, Purolator, etc?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #252
IgnitedSoul
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you recall who delivered it? Canada Post, Purolator, etc?
it was Canada Post
IgnitedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgnitedSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #253
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, it does do 4G in the form of HSPDA+ but I always mention that when recommending this phone to anyone. Lack of LTE could make it a no sale for some. Of course since we're talking about Wind Mobile here people should be aware before switching that they do not currently have an LTE network so it's a Moot point.

Madman, although nothing official you'll likely see a new Nexus 4 around December. I'd imagine LTE would be in that device... Timed perfectly for Wind to capitalise on the 700mghz LTE auction in January... ;-)
Thanked for proper use of "moot" - It GMG when people say "mute point"
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #254
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya the lack of OS update is one of my major peeves... not being able to use my phone in my home that is well within the city limits is a bigger one, but it seems as though these other carriers have decided that a great way to force consumers to upgrade or buy new phones is to never ever update the one they sold us last year. Not only is it complete B.S. that a perfectly good phone is rendered "old" because they don't see any money in providing updates but there are security holes and flaws that are left undealt with as well... all so they can say "Telus" on the screen when I boot up the phone, in case I forgot who I bought it from and pay every month :\

Isn't there a new Nexus on the horizon? maybe I'd be better off waiting for that... paying off my S3 right now is going to be about ~$300 and then the nexus 4 another ~$300... I figured if I could use my S3 then probably worth it... buuut.... hmm.
Just stick it in CP Marketplace or kijiji as a "WTT Galaxy S3 for Nexus 4"

I sell/trade everything I don't like or want this way.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #255
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently you CAN get LTE to work on the current Nexus 4. It looks like a ton of work and (from my perspective) it isn't worth the hassle, but interesting all the same.....

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...t-can-be-done/

As I've stated before, HPSA+ and its top limit speed (technically 168Mbps but typically around served at 7Mbps) is more than satisfactory for me.

That kind of phone for $300 is just incredible. Mine arrives on Thursday.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #256
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Just stick it in CP Marketplace or kijiji as a "WTT Galaxy S3 for Nexus 4"

I sell/trade everything I don't like or want this way.
Agreed. Thanks again for the girlfriend. Used but in good working order, as promised.

I hope you're enjoying the toaster.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #257
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Stupid question... Are you guys saying that the Nexus 4 works on any carrier? Wind or Telus/Rogers/Bell? Like, I could buy this phone for my wind phone, and if I decided to go back to Rogers or Telus, I could use the same phone?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #258
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Stupid question... Are you guys saying that the Nexus 4 works on any carrier? Wind or Telus/Rogers/Bell? Like, I could buy this phone for my wind phone, and if I decided to go back to Rogers or Telus, I could use the same phone?
The Nexus 4 is a pentaband phone, it will work on any network. It has all the proper radios built in.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #259
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Thanks a lot. I am now $315 poorer. But since my LG phone has a shattered screen, and I'm not sure about staying with wind because of the poor coverage in the areas I frequent, I would argue that I'm better off.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #260
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hope you see this thread again 4x4!

Because Holy moly this was just announced minutes ago
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/08/27/go...o-199-and-249/
Quote:
In what will undoubtedly be seen as a way to clear inventory before the inevitable launch of a successor, Google has lowered the price of the Nexus 4 to an astounding $199 and $249.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post: