Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 01:42 PM   #41
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Beat Edmonton in the playoffs and all is forgiven. Beat Vancouver in the playoffs and almost all is forgiven.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 01:45 PM   #42
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Whatever you want to say to justify it doesn’t justify it.

I'm not trying to justify it. Personally I think it's BS. I thought it was BS when Chicago did it. I thought it was BS when TB did it. I think it's BS every time the Leafs find a reason to put someone on LTIR and have them disappear.

I just don't think the other GMs aren't doing it because they dislike it. I just think they haven't been in a position to take advantage of it, that's all.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 01:55 PM   #43
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya don't say.....
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:26 PM   #44
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I wish the league would clamp down on this stuff and force teams to be cap compliant in the playoffs as well, but it is what it is.
Well... I don't really want that (it would make the TDL kinda boring) but I do want something done so that LTIR isn't a way for a organization to create a super-team for the post-season.

... If you're on LTIR for game 82 then you can't play until round two. Done. Or if you want to be strict about it if you're on LTIR for game 82 you're ineligible for post-season play. This allows teams to bank cap space and make pure upgrades at the TDL, and it allows teams to replace players that are truly out for the year with LTIR, but stops the flagrant gaming of "recovery time" that Vegas is perpetrating.

Whatevs... better chance that we get Vegas's 2025 2nd round pick so that's one upshot here.

Last edited by Parallex; 04-12-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:31 PM   #45
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a player is on LTIR, to be eligible for the 1st round of the playoffs they should have to play at least 1 reg season game. if they don't. then they should be ineligible to return until 2nd round.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:34 PM   #46
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just beat the Oilers and the Canucks.

Nothing else matters.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:44 PM   #47
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Looking at Twitter... it's a banner day if you're a Winky face, Undertaker, or Kevin Nash GIF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:45 PM   #48
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
[making the cap count in the playoffs] would make the TDL kinda boring
How? The cap counts at the deadline, and teams still manage to make trades.
Ba'alzamon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:51 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

You knew this was coming. They will pull this crap next year too until the league can change it in the CBA. I said Landeskog would be back for game 1 at the beginning of the year and some posters crapped on me about that, guess who is on target to return game 1?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:02 PM   #50
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
How? The cap counts at the deadline, and teams still manage to make trades.
How do you calculate the cap in the post-season? Team can take on 5M-6M without corresponding salary matching because they can basically bank space earlier in the season... but if the season is over then how do you calculate the cap?... do you base it off full season salary? If you do then that 5M-6M player you got at the deadline can't play because they could only get him at the deadline because his hit cap hit for them was only like 1.25M-1.5M.

Just don't let guys on LTIR play (In whole or in part) in the post-season. It closes the loophole and keeps everything else working as intended.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:08 PM   #51
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You knew this was coming. They will pull this crap next year too until the league can change it in the CBA. I said Landeskog would be back for game 1 at the beginning of the year and some posters crapped on me about that, guess who is on target to return game 1?

What people crapped on you for was the fact that it was some master plan by Colorado and somehow it was the plan all along.

It was questionable if Landeskog would ever play again and he's missed 2 full regular seasons. If he can come back and contribute in the playoffs that's more impressive than it is frustrating.

For Stone I think last year with the back injury was more questionable and "planned" by the Knights.

This year with a lacerated spleen it was more of a "Happy Coincidence" that once it was clear his recovery timeline would align with the start of the playoffs the Knights made sure to take full advantage of that at the deadline.

So not really "planned" or "faked" by the Knights, but once the opportunity presented itself they were smart to take advantage of it.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #52
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Without this, the Flames don't get Gavin McKenna in 2026.

Excellent manoeuvring, Vegas
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #53
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mark Stone sees the playoffs around the corner:

Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 04:21 PM   #54
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont understand the conspiracy theories....this is like the 9/11 conspiracies...they make no sense.

He literally had a ruptured spleen. He didn't rupture it himself. He was injured, get over it.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 04:23 PM   #55
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I dont understand the conspiracy theories....this is like the 9/11 conspiracies...they make no sense.

He literally had a ruptured spleen. He didn't rupture it himself. He was injured, get over it.
Yes he was injured, just like he was injured last year. I think it’s the amazing coincidence that both injuries see him healed just ready for day one of he playoffs. Not a day early, not a day or two later. That my friend is one magical injury - again.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:27 PM   #56
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So let me get this straight...landeskog missed the entire year as a conspiracy so they can do what?

You actually believe this? The captain would fake a year long injury? These takes are so ridiculous honestly.

If landeskog returns for game 1 he will be playing to help his team win and most likely still injured. Playoffs is where players don't mind playing with an injury. It's literally happened for decades upon decades. You hear players all the time say "if this was the playoffs I'd be playing " there is no grand conspiracy or a "gotcha" moment.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 04:36 PM   #57
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

Because it's not completely a they are faking an injury or they aren't issue.

Injury can be legit. Timing of return post injury can still be manipulated to allow the team "circumvent the cap" once the injury occurred.

Vegas doesn't have to be faking or intentionally injuring players. But the timing of the return now multiple years in a row starts make it less of a conspiracy that they are manipulating thigs vs. simply bringing a player back when he'd actually be ready.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 04:38 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Yes he was injured, just like he was injured last year. I think it’s the amazing coincidence that both injuries see him healed just ready for day one of he playoffs. Not a day early, not a day or two later. That my friend is one magical injury - again.
1) Because they plan all the rehab to be ready for late April
2) They come back for the playoffs because it's the playoffs and they are willing to play hurt. So the recovery 'bar' for the playoffs is way lower than for the regular season
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:40 PM   #59
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Echoing sentiments of others.. just get the job done and make sure our western rivals don't get anywhere near the finals.

I don't care how you do it lol.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM   #60
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
1) Because they plan all the rehab to be ready for late April
2) They come back for the playoffs because it's the playoffs and they are willing to play hurt. So the recovery 'bar' for the playoffs is way lower than for the regular season
that's very convenient thinking, and you don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to believe it's likely more something like this:

Knights: Hey Mark, you'll likely be ready to come back on Jan 1. But we were thinking:
Knights: How badly do you want to play the reg season, cause if you don't, we can extend that timeline until April 1. Get full cap relief all year, strengthen the team for another run at the cup and get you back ready to play for the games you really care about anyway? Thoughts.
Mark: Sounds good to me.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote