Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2024, 09:50 PM   #501
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I would vote for the blitz as well, though I will confess I’m hard to pin down for a time these days. Will do my best.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 01:07 PM   #502
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Boy Gukesh is off to a great start to the tourney.

I would imagine he tries force a draw against Fabi today. Especially when he plays Abasov next round.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 08:52 AM   #503
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Ian Nepomniatchi is having another monster candidates tournament, sitting on 3 out of 4, and won a savage game against Vidit yesterday after playing what I understand is almost a novelty in the Berlin endgame(the very odd looking 11. f4, kicking the knight but making white’s king look super exposed).

I’m starting to think he’s a guy that should have been world champion already. He seemed to have the championship under control before Ding Liren’s comeback win last year, and of course he’s already won the candidates twice..

Is this finally his year? He is kind of fun to watch—plays very fast, takes tactical risks, and tries to use the clock to pressure his opponent through deep opening prep like yesterday. I’m turning into a fan.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:24 AM   #504
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Ian Nepomniatchi is having another monster candidates tournament, sitting on 3 out of 4, and won a savage game against Vidit yesterday after playing what I understand is almost a novelty in the Berlin endgame(the very odd looking 11. f4, kicking the knight but making white’s king look super exposed).

I’m starting to think he’s a guy that should have been world champion already. He seemed to have the championship under control before Ding Liren’s comeback win last year, and of course he’s already won the candidates twice..

Is this finally his year? He is kind of fun to watch—plays very fast, takes tactical risks, and tries to use the clock to pressure his opponent through deep opening prep like yesterday. I’m turning into a fan.

As much as I'd like to see someone under 25 play Ding, Nepo becoming champion would be triumphant.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:25 AM   #505
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Totally agree—that would be cool. Of course, Fabiano Caruana is another former runner up and someone who has played at a very high level very consistently, but Nepo is dominating early.

Hikaru Nakamura is another one that some people expected to have a strong event but he’s off to a very slow start.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:35 PM   #506
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

All four games in the open section are excellent today.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:17 PM   #507
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At one point prag had a huge advantage over nepo (according to stockfish) but it looks even now.

The other games are trending to a divicive finish now, with fabi losing.

That top group is tighter.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:23 PM   #508
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

As soon as s that vidit gives up his advantage for a perpetual draw.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:00 AM   #509
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Wild day overall yesterday. Big win for Hikaru (in a theoretically drawn position too) puts him back into striking distance, and Gukesh scores a big win against Abasov to move into a tie with Nepo for first. Fabiano Caruana saved a draw with black with some indomitable defensive play, and he stays in the mix too. It’s still wide open here.

Alireza is having another disappointing Candidates so far. Wonder what is up with him—he was considers the next huge talent at one point.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:30 AM   #510
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wild day overall yesterday. Big win for Hikaru (in a theoretically drawn position too) puts him back into striking distance, and Gukesh scores a big win against Abasov to move into a tie with Nepo for first. Fabiano Caruana saved a draw with black with some indomitable defensive play, and he stays in the mix too. It’s still wide open here.

Alireza is having another disappointing Candidates so far. Wonder what is up with him—he was considers the next huge talent at one point.
Fabi vs Nepo will be a fun match to watch today. I always wonder the strategy. Try and force a draw to feast on the weaker players?
Old 04-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #511
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Fabi vs Nepo will be a fun match to watch today. I always wonder the strategy. Try and force a draw to feast on the weaker players?
Probably, though there really aren’t too many weak players in this tournament.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #512
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably, though there really aren’t too many weak players in this tournament.
You have to think players a going to play their most aggressive chess against Farouzja and Abasov. Especially since those players need a couple wins fast.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 04-10-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:44 PM   #513
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Alirezi beat Gukesh. Nepo now back in the lead with 3 players tied for 2nd.

Seeing these super GMs run into time trouble in these epic games makes me feel a bit better about losing on time in a 30 minute game.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:07 PM   #514
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Wow Alirezi beat Gukesh. Nepo now back in the lead with 3 players tied for 2nd.

Seeing these super GMs run into time trouble in these epic games makes me feel a bit better about losing on time in a 30 minute game.
It’s been an exciting tournament. Nepo is maybe a bit lucky to be in the lead still after barely eking out a draw against Hikaru, who came into their game looking for a fight. Then a huge missed opportunity for Gukesh, who could have taken the lead and had Alireza on the ropes before losing under time pressure. Meanwhile, Fabiano continues to be solid on 4 points, half a point out of 1st. This is still anyone’s tournament.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:54 PM   #515
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Another fun day of games in the candidates tournament. It started out a bit sleepy, with 4 games that honestly looked like draws early on. Then Hikaru uncorks a savage tactic against Fabiano Caruana, playing 33. Qb4!, which looks like it attacks black’s hanging pawn on b2, but it turns out that’s not the actual threat at all.

Fabi plays 33. … b5, protecting the b pawn and then Hikaru’s next move is a cold shower: 34. Ne7+, Kh8 (basically forced—the knight is defended twice), followed by 35. Nd5!

https://lichess.org/broadcast/fide-c...cmG6L/SKYfaPnS

Fabi resigned. Why? You can’t take the knight because Qxf8 is checkmate! You can’t move the queen away for the same reason. Black’s best try would have been c5, interrupting the queen but that doesn’t help—the queens come off and white goes into an endgame up a full piece.

I don’t know how to share the animation of the game but it’s worth checking out. Very cool sequence from Hikaru to end the game against one of the best players in the world.

Oh, and Gukesh also won, and is now the tournament leader. No big deal.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:58 AM   #516
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I spoke too soon, because Nepo and Abasov were still playing. That game ended in a draw, so Nepo stays tied for first with Gukesh—both are on 5 out of 8.

After that things are really bunched up after 8 rounds. Hikaru has moved himself into contention and is tied with Pragg at 4.5, only half a point out of the lead. Fabiano is still right there with 4. Vidit lost to Gukesh yesterday, and is next on 3.5. Alireza and Abasov are bringing up the rear with 3 and 2.5; they are the only ones who (barring an insane run) I would say are “out of contention.”

Round 9 could be a good one too. Hikaru has the black pieces against Vidit, and given his approach so far I feel like he might smell blood and try to play for a win. Fabiano gets the black pieces against Abasov—have to think he gets aggressive too—he needs to get back into the 2-spot somehow. Pragg and Gukesh will also face off, and Nepo gets Alireza, who is in desperate need of redemption.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:02 AM   #517
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gukesh vs Nepo today.

Nepo is yet to lose. That said, he has already played Firouzja and Abasov twice.
Gukesh is yet to play the bottom two seeds again.

This game will feel like the tournament is riding on it.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:24 PM   #518
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nepo and Gukesh Draw, I think that result benefits Gukesh who has easier oponants ahead.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:18 AM   #519
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Insane results over the last 2 days. Hikaru loses to Vidit and looks to be out of it—then Hikaru and Fabiano both won yesterday, feasting on the bottom two seeds. In the end, 6 players are still in theoretical contention after 10 rounds, with only Alireza and Abasov truly “out”. Vidit is right there with 5 points, 3 players (Hikaru, Fabiano and Pragg) are on 5.5, and Gukesh and Nepo are still tied together the lead on 6 points each.

Gukesh might have the easier road over the last few games, but honestly there are not any “weak spots” in this lineup, with the possible exception of Abasov, who… let’s be real.. may be a fish out of water with these super GMs, but is still a very strong player who can surprise you. And now he and Alireza have nothing to lose.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:19 AM   #520
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Also, we haven’t even talked about the controversy over Alireza’s shoes, which is both ridiculous and possibly the most chess thing ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post: