Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2021, 11:33 PM   #11141
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think there would probably be more outrage but for the facts that a) it seems minor compared to things Liberal MPs have been accused of or confirmed of doing of late, and b) more importantly, everyone is emotionally exhausted and can't summon the energy to be morally outraged right now.
Yes this plus my point is and always has been, if people can read and think about it, obviously what he did, pragmatically- does not matter.

It doesn’t impact or harm anyone. It’s a joke to pretend to be upset by it.

“But he broke the law! Wah!”

Yeah so did like half the ####ing city today. So? Some of our laws don’t matter, are stupid, or irrelevant.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-23-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:30 AM   #11142
zamler
Franchise Player
 
zamler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

You would make the absolute worse lawyer of all time. Members of the jury are all laws good laws? He broke the law, cry me a river. People break laws all the time. Should we execute my client? Is that what you want?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:53 AM   #11143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yes this plus my point is and always has been, if people can read and think about it, obviously what he did, pragmatically- does not matter.

It doesnít impact or harm anyone. Itís a joke to pretend to be upset by it.

ďBut he broke the law! Wah!Ē

Yeah so did like half the ####ing city today. So? Some of our laws donít matter, are stupid, or irrelevant.
His actions showed a lack of respect for election rules and a complete lack of integrity. For an MP to do that is not the same as you doing it. This isn't about whether it's a stupid law (it isn't), it's about whether it was a stupid act (it was).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #11144
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
His actions showed a lack of respect for election rules and a complete lack of integrity. For an MP to do that is not the same as you doing it. This isn't about whether it's a stupid law (it isn't), it's about whether it was a stupid act (it was).
I would agree with this yes. The most reasonable take by a mile.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #11145
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You would make the absolute worse lawyer of all time. Members of the jury are all laws good laws? He broke the law, cry me a river. People break laws all the time. Should we execute my client? Is that what you want?
Haha well this is sort of a different topic but no, not all laws are or should be deemed to be created equal. My example was sound but for instance jaywalking is not the same thing as murder. Obviously.

Same thing here. Taking advertising garbage off doorsteps is not that big of a deal. Is it “wrong”? Sure I can agree to that, does it matter? Honestly? No, not at all really. Practically speaking anyway.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #11146
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Columnist/reporter bias is overwhelmingly LPC.
Is that true for major newspapers in Canada? Reporters - yes likely. But if I open the National Post or any of the Postmedia papers - you are going to tell me they lean Liberal?

Here are the election endorsements of major newspapers in Canada:

https://readpassage.com/election-endorsements/


There is a 0% chance the media in Alberta for example has a Liberal bias.

Its part of the reason why so many go off on the CBC - because it presents a different viewpoint than what they are use to seeing. It may lean left - but its not some kind of uber partisan news source that it can sound like in here.

Last edited by PeteMoss; 09-24-2021 at 06:53 AM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:31 AM   #11147
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Haha well this is sort of a different topic but no, not all laws are or should be deemed to be created equal. My example was sound but for instance jaywalking is not the same thing as murder. Obviously.

Same thing here. Taking advertising garbage off doorsteps is not that big of a deal. Is it “wrong”? Sure I can agree to that, does it matter? Honestly? No, not at all really. Practically speaking anyway.
Are there types of crimes where waiting for the act to become egregious is not smart? If the egregious act has such negative consequences should we act harshly and disproportionately immediately after a lessor act?

Breaking election laws needs to be zero tolerance because the consequences of seriously breaking election laws to society are very difficult to undo. See the univestigated sketchy activities in Kenny’s leadership race.

So I think considering the slippery slope in this instance might be reasonable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #11148
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

I've said that in Canada the ethical laws that effect politicians in power and election processes need to be upped and made iron clad.


There's an arrogance in the political class because they believe that they can get away with anything and even if they're caught its a slap on the wrist.

Getting seats yanked if your caught and convinced of breaking election laws shouldn't be a reach.


Getting thrown out of parliament or whatever governing body with a loss of pay, benefits and pensions to me seems like a no brainer to me.

We shouldn't be in a position where we look at our countries leadership and see that ethical violations are just status quo. Or something that's no big deal, because it happens so often in this country that its become a new normal.

At the same time, the party's vetting of candidates doesn't work well enough.

Realistically under the CaptainCrunch plan, Kenney would be gone, Trudeau would be gone, LeBlanc would be gone etc and we'd save a bunch of money on pensions.

No matter what they say, politicians aren't due their entitlements. Maybe if we start putting the boots to these things, it would encourage the others.
__________________
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-24-2021 at 09:05 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #11149
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Is that true for major newspapers in Canada? Reporters - yes likely. But if I open the National Post or any of the Postmedia papers - you are going to tell me they lean Liberal?

Here are the election endorsements of major newspapers in Canada:

https://readpassage.com/election-endorsements/


There is a 0% chance the media in Alberta for example has a Liberal bias.

Its part of the reason why so many go off on the CBC - because it presents a different viewpoint than what they are use to seeing. It may lean left - but its not some kind of uber partisan news source that it can sound like in here.
While I do in general agree that the CBC is nowhere near as ideological as they are sometimes portrayed, the coverage of the election night was partisan as hell.

We as a country are richer for having the CBC as a content producer, however.

Who wants to live in a world where the Vinyl Cafe was never a thing?
__________________
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #11150
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Yeaaah... I can actually live with that just fine actually.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #11151
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeaaah... I can actually live with that just fine actually.
Try reading something more whimsical than a spreadsheet.
__________________
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #11152
Envitro
First Line Centre
 
Envitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Saddledome, Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Media and bias? Hogwash!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/con...hite-1.6185707

Don't forget, conservatives is 95% white!

Of course that avoids the obvious fallacy that this number could have been much different had votes gone the CPC way in urban areas where they had many candidates of visible minority, or that rural areas where the conservative vote is strong happen to be predominantly white (and where other parties also had white candidates)

But of course the media will turn it into a narrative about a diversity problem.
Here's an article, almost exactly the same subject matter, going after O'Toole. But this time it's the Toronto Star

Quote:
Erin O'Toole promised to remake the Conservative party. So why are his MPs so white and male?
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...A&ceid=CA%3Aen
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #11153
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

i can handle various papers having leanings one way or the other; however, i feel that the national broadcaster, that receives over a billion in tax revenue should be neutral and balanced.

as for team o'toole mostly being white - i guess you need to look at who applied to represent the party and the vetting process.

oh yeah, marwan tabbara was able to side step his legal troubles - good for him
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #11154
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Here's an article, almost exactly the same subject matter, going after O'Toole. But this time it's the Toronto Star



https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...A&ceid=CA%3Aen
Looking at the GTA ridings, almost every candidate the CPC had were of visible minority, of all ethnicities. Many CPC candidates placed 2nd, just a few percentage points shy of the Liberal candidate. A small shift in voting percentage would have drastically changed the diversity more in line with the Canadian demographic.

It's a rural vs urban demographic divide more then anything (which surprise surprise, rural is predominantly white as Canada's demographic is still 77% caucasian) and the media is trying to pass it as a racist non-diversity narrative.

You know what other federal party that has a predominantly white MP base, even more then the CPC?
The Bloc Quebecois. They even are only French too!

But going after the BQ might be seen as anti-Quebec, and doesn't fulfill a beneficial narrative.

Last edited by Firebot; 09-24-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #11155
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Is that true for major newspapers in Canada? Reporters - yes likely. But if I open the National Post or any of the Postmedia papers - you are going to tell me they lean Liberal?

Here are the election endorsements of major newspapers in Canada:

https://readpassage.com/election-endorsements/


There is a 0% chance the media in Alberta for example has a Liberal bias.

Its part of the reason why so many go off on the CBC - because it presents a different viewpoint than what they are use to seeing. It may lean left - but its not some kind of uber partisan news source that it can sound like in here.
Most of the newspapers on that list are regional...and are effectively under the same umbrella and the same newspaper with differing localized news.

National Post is clearly conservative, as is Sun media. No one is going to argue on those fronts. Globe and Mail is the most neutral overall, but they definitely are no friends or fans of Trudeau and may be portrayed as right just because they aren't playing partisan favourites.

Toronto Star is Liberal (despite the push that it's now owned by a conservative group, it's still very left leaning)

Global I would put as centrist, CTV, CBC are left leaning.

I have no qualms with the Toronto Star, or any other private media being biased for that matter, though for sure I would question their legitimacy if they are inherently biased. My issues with the media are specifically with the public media that has a mandate to provide objectivity and values for all Canadians.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #11156
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

You know what other federal party that has a predominantly white MP base, even more then the CPC?
The Bloc Quebecois. They even are only French too!

But going after the BQ might be seen as anti-Quebec, and doesn't fulfill a beneficial narrative.
I don't even think that the Bloc had a single candidate that was BIPOC. I know that lots of people love to talk about how racist and "hick" western/rural Canada is but Quebec is equally bad when it comes to discrimination.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #11157
Firebot
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't even think that the Bloc had a single candidate that was BIPOC. I know that lots of people love to talk about how racist and "hick" western/rural Canada is but Quebec is equally bad when it comes to discrimination.


Problem is, Quebec is needed to be able to form a federal government, so the narrative must be carefully crafted.

Last edited by Firebot; 09-24-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #11158
Yoho
Franchise Player
 
Yoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North America
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441446721641488385
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #11159
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Most of the newspapers on that list are regional...and are effectively under the same umbrella and the same newspaper with differing localized news.

National Post is clearly conservative, as is Sun media. No one is going to argue on those fronts. Globe and Mail is the most neutral overall, but they definitely are no friends or fans of Trudeau and may be portrayed as right just because they aren't playing partisan favourites.

Toronto Star is Liberal (despite the push that it's now owned by a conservative group, it's still very left leaning)

Global I would put as centrist, CTV, CBC are left leaning.

I have no qualms with the Toronto Star, or any other private media being biased for that matter, though for sure I would question their legitimacy if they are inherently biased. My issues with the media are specifically with the public media that has a mandate to provide objectivity and values for all Canadians.
There are basically 3 national papers in Canada - Global and Mail (centrist), Toronto Star (Left), National Post (Right)

Outside of Hamilton, Winnipeg - basically any major local paper in English Canada are all owned by Postmedia who clearly leans right.

Globe and Mail and CBC are basically a rorschach tests. Left wing people will say CBC is centre and Global and Mail is right, while right wing people will says Globe and Mail is centre and CBC is left. No clue on CTV or Global
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #11160
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

i was going to say that on air CBC is pro-liberal; however, i feel on their websitre, there seem to be stories about the liberals that rosie barton would never talk about
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021