Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad ran into a store and left me and a friend in the front seat. I was very quick to demonstrate to my friend that the cigarette lighter doesn't work when the vehicle isn't running. I pushed it in, waited a few seconds, then grabbed it and immediately shoved my finger in.

Mt dad returned "What's that smell?"
"What smell? Nothing." Suspicious looks all around.

A shadowed outline of my finger on the lighter never faded. That really really hurt.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #62
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My dad ran into a store and left me and a friend in the front seat. I was very quick to demonstrate to my friend that the cigarette lighter doesn't work when the vehicle isn't running. I pushed it in, waited a few seconds, then grabbed it and immediately shoved my finger in.

A shadowed outline of my finger on the lighter never faded. That really really hurt.
Ha I did the same thing.

My dad got back in the car, sniffed, slapped me in the head and said "stop ####ing with the lighter".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #63
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Similiar story here, except it was my brother burning a ring into the lid of the centre console of my dad's truck.

Woops
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #64
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

My son did the exact same thing when he was 4. The funniest part was several times after he would point it out and say that thing is bad/dangerous and shouldn't be in the car.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #65
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hilarious this seems to be a regular thing kids did...think of the opportunity missed these days for all the kids raised in vehicles without lighters. How do kids these days learn not to do dumb stuff without the searing pain of burned flesh to learn them good?
Old 09-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #66
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's hilarious this seems to be a regular thing kids did...think of the opportunity missed these days for all the kids raised in vehicles without lighters. How do kids these days learn not to do dumb stuff without the searing pain of burned flesh to learn them good?
The move from mechanical to electronic gear selection has prevented a lot of children from learning that 'R' doesn't mean 'Radio'.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:55 AM   #67
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Toasters and stoves, pretty much. Maybe cast iron pans.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #68
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

One summer day my mom popped into a store, and my brother showed me how to drop the back seats so I could crawl into the trunk...which I did, and he closed the seats back up on me for a good 5-10 minutes.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #69
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hyundai has a solution for you
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #70
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

My mom parks running car in neutral, applies emergency brake, runs into office to grab some papers.

My brother and I play with emergency brake.

Car starts moving backwards across parking lot, slowly gathering speed. My brother and I are howling laughing at my mom frantically running after the car.

Car goes across 100 feet of parking lot, down the entrance to the lot, across a couple lanes of road, and crashes into a ditch on the other side where my mom had to get a tow truck to get it out.

I don't remember what the punishment was, but boy was she angry.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #71
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
My mom parks running car in neutral, applies emergency brake, runs into office to grab some papers.

My brother and I play with emergency brake.

Car starts moving backwards across parking lot, slowly gathering speed. My brother and I are howling laughing at my mom frantically running after the car.

Car goes across 100 feet of parking lot, down the entrance to the lot, across a couple lanes of road, and crashes into a ditch on the other side where my mom had to get a tow truck to get it out.

I don't remember what the punishment was, but boy was she angry.
That could still happen in today's cars even when off with a manual transmission/handbrake.
Button e-brakes are stupid.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #72
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did manuals always have the e-brakes in the centre by the shifter? I remember all of our old automatics had the pedal, next to the high beam foot switch.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #73
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did manuals always have the e-brakes in the centre by the shifter? I remember all of our old automatics had the pedal, next to the high beam foot switch.
All of mine have been next to the gear stick.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #74
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
That could still happen in today's cars even when off with a manual transmission/handbrake.
Button e-brakes are stupid.
I think they are dumb for other reasons, but with the button, do you have to apply the foot brake before you can turn it off? Seems that would be a good safety feature.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #75
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I think they are dumb for other reasons, but with the button, do you have to apply the foot brake before you can turn it off? Seems that would be a good safety feature.
In my F-150 (2016) I just hit the gas and go. Parking brake releases automatically. Still need your foot on the brake pedal to shift out of park into drive, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #76
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When my kids were little I could never forget them in the car because they were standing on the bench seat right beside me. I miss those carefree ‘70s.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #77
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
All of mine have been next to the gear stick.
Four of my cars have had them next to the shifter (manual and automatic). Two of them had a foot pedal for the e-brake. Two of them have had them on the floor to the left of the driver's seat as a fly-off handbrake.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #78
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but it will also override if you put it in gear and drive off. So easy to forget its engaged when there's no handle sticking up.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote