Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
mesaywee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Should my computer run BattleField 3?

I know its not out yet but I'm sure you guys have a good estimate on what it will take to run this game on the highest possible settings.

My computer is an:

Intel I7 2600 3.4GHz (3.8 with turbo boost)

Single Radeon HD 6870

12 gigs of ram

1.5 TB HD

Should I be fine?

I could buy a second HD 6870 but don't really intend to spend the money at the moment.
mesaywee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Insert *Not sure if serious* picture here.

In the off chance you aren't showing off and are genuinely asking, here are the minimum and recommended specs: http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

You would probably need to spend $500 upgrading your video card to get the absolute highest possible settings I suppose.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, you'll be fine.... showoff.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who made your computer? Cyberdyne systems?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
mesaywee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah sorry, I know it might seem that way

I actually haven't played video games for about 5 years and this is my first desktop for gaming i've actually bought.

I know this will seem stupid but I bought a dell during a long weekend sale without putting any research into it. And with my limited knowledge of computer parts I really had no idea what I was buying.

I know this graphics card has crossover so I can pick up another one. Hopefully that would max everything out.

As of right now should would you imagine this thing be able to run Crysis 2 on max?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

My four-year old HP has self esteem issues now. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mine is getting a bit old

i7 @ 2.67 ghz
6 GB DDR3
GTX 295

It's now two years old, but still maxes everything
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

4870 q6600 4gig ddr2 and i'm sure i'll be fine. You're system is beastly and I'm sure it will have no problems running it.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Q6600 @ 2.4 (still haven't gotten around to overclocking it)
8 GB DDR2
9800 GTX+ (actually 9800 GTX Black Edition, which is older but faster than the +)

Might be time to at least upgrade the GFX, but is now a good time? And would I need to do mobo+CPU+RAM as well to make it worthwhile?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
mesaywee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
4870 q6600 4gig ddr2 and i'm sure i'll be fine. You're system is beastly and I'm sure it will have no problems running it.
Thats good to hear. Was getting stressed about it after reading some less then flattering things about the Radeon 6870.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The 6870 is a weaker card compared to the 5X series. It's more like the 5830.

The 6970 is the actual equivalent in power of the old 5870.

6870 should be fine unless you are running multiple monitors.

That said, a 6870 in that kind of a system doesn't really make sense to me, it will be your bottleneck and weakest link. 12GB of RAM and an i7 2600K and a 6870. One of these don't belong.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-03-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Q6600 @ 2.4 (still haven't gotten around to overclocking it)
Why not?? (you too Burninator!)

3.2GHz easy! On stock voltage!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
mesaywee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The 6870 is a weaker card compared to the 5X series. It's more like the 5830.

The 6970 is the actual equivalent in power of the old 5870.

6870 should be fine unless you are running multiple monitors.

That said, a 6870 in that kind of a system doesn't really make sense to me, it will be your bottleneck and weakest link. 12GB of RAM and an i7 2600K and a 6870. One of these don't belong.
The HD 6870 was the highest possible card on the dell website. Now im thinking I should have just got the stock card and just bought a different card and put it in myself.

If I add a second 6870 should that increase performance quite a bit?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not?? (you too Burninator!)

3.2GHz easy! On stock voltage!
I have the same CPU.

I have never really considered over clocking. Any tips or is it really just a straightforward process?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I have the same CPU.

I have never really considered over clocking. Any tips or is it really just a straightforward process?
Depends on the cpu batch, but its very easy as far as computer modifications go. It does come with some risk though.

A lot of the performance issues are resolution based. A q6600 with a 9800GTX will probably do fine at 1920x1200 at medium settings.

If you are curious, fire up Bad Company 2 and try it. Specs will apparently be similar, and I know alpha ran better than BC2. If you can play that, BF3 will be no problem
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...attlefield%203

They have a system checker on here on the right. You can key in your hardware and it will check against the assumed requirements.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I have the same CPU.

I actually have the worst batch of Q6600s for overclocking, the B3 revision but I can still do 3.2GHz on stock voltage and 3.6GHz on 1.5V (the maximum intel spec).

The majority of Q6600s will overclock very easily past 3.2GHz, especially if they are G0 revision. Many G0s can go past 3.8GHz. You can tell by running CPU-Z what revision and stepping your CPU is. Post up what revision you have and I can tell you what voltage and multiplier/FSB you can try out.

Basically it's very simple, the speed of the CPU is the front side bus (FSB) speed multiplied by the CPU multiplier. The default setting on the Q6600 is 266*9 = 2400MHz (2.4GHz). What motherboard do you have? If you have any decent motherboard, you can press DEL or F2 (whatever it says when you turn your computer on) to enter the BIOS and adjust the settings there.

As I said 3.2GHz should be doable on stock voltage. If you can't get that, I'm sure 3.0GHz has to be possible on 99% of Q6600 CPUs at stock voltage so you don't need to worry about it.

For something straight forward, lets do 3.0GHz on the CPU and see if it works for you. Change the FSB from 266 to 333MHz. That will give you 333*9 = 2.99GHz (rounds up to 3.0GHz).

Now the other deal is that when you change the FSB, you also change the speed of the RAM because overclocking the front side bus will overclock the entire system including your ram. The FSB is half the speed your ram runs at. With DDR2, that means double data rate so the ram speed runs at twice the FSB if you are on a 1:1 memory divider. For that reason, you have to use the memory ratio divider or use a lower FSB if you end up with a number that is higher than your ram is rated for. IE: you do 400*9 x 2 for 3.6GHz. That will make your ram run at 800MHz. If you have DDR2-667 ram, your memory is only rated for 667MHz operation so 800MHz is too much. You can either get some DDR2-800 or simply change the ram divider.

The RAM used to be running at 266MHz*2 = 532. If you have DDR2-533 RAM, that will be your maxmium speed anyway...but who has RAM that slow? Even if you have DDR2-667, you can goto 333MHz on the FSB right away since you'll have 333*2 for the ram which = 666MHz.

Basically all you need to do is figure out where the FSB setting is in your motherboard's BIOS and change that setting from AUTO (which is 266) to 333 and you should easily be at 3.0GHz immediately as long as your ram is DDR2-667 or better (which almost everybody will be). Try that setting out and tell me if it works for you or not!

Most of the time, I will run my own system @ 3.4GHz. That is 378*9. With DDR2 on 1:1, that is 378*2 for the speed of my ram or 758MHz. That is actually slower than stock speed of DDR2-800 (800MHz of course) but stable. I actually have DDR2-1066 ram so I have more room to move with the ram. If I change the memory divider to a different ratio I can bump up the speed of the ram also so I use a ratio of 5:6 which gives me 378/5 * 6 = 453.6 * 2 (DDR2) = 907.2MHz for the ram. I tend to underclock my ram to get lower timings but you can also overclock your ram but that is another discussion.

You can do any multiplier up to 9x so choose whatever works best for you. Remember if you play with the speed of the CPU, you may need to give it a bit more juice. Stock voltage for the Q6600 is 1.3V. If you are going to overclock the ram as well (you shouldn't have to) stock voltage for DDR2 RAM is usually 1.8V. Never exceed 2.2V on the RAM. For my B3 revision to do 3.4GHz, I require 1.363V on the ram which is barely higher than the stock 1.3V of the CPU.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-03-2011 at 11:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaywee View Post
The HD 6870 was the highest possible card on the dell website. Now im thinking I should have just got the stock card and just bought a different card and put it in myself.

If I add a second 6870 should that increase performance quite a bit?
No, don't bother. Crossfiring another GPU doesn't scale 1:1. IE: Adding another videocard will not double your performance (100% improvement) so it's not worth the money. You'll probably only see a 30-50% improvement in speed by adding in a 2nd 6870.

The 6870 is not as bad as I make it out to be, just that I find that configuration a bit asymmetrical and you could definitely match a better card with a system like that. What you should have done is only gotten 6GB or 8GB of ram and saved money there. You don't need 12GB for anything as a normal home user. Even 8GB is extremely excessive for the majority of people. I do video encoding and run virtual machines inside my machine and I rarely use all my 8GB of ram. The amount of ram you got doesn't make much sense. The savings should have been spent on a slightly faster CPU or a larger harddrive or a faster videocard. You could have gotten half the system ram and be more than fine. What you might need is more ram on the videocard.

Try it out first and see if it is fine. Or you could sell your 6870 and buy a 6950 or a 6970. How much video ram is on your 6870? I would definetely recommend at this point that you get a 2GB videocard. I suspect that 6870 may only have 1GB of ram?

1GB of ram on the videocard means you won't be able to run the maximum textures or very high resolutions with antialasing on.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
mesaywee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No, don't bother. Crossfiring another GPU doesn't scale 1:1. IE: Adding another videocard will not double your performance (100% improvement) so it's not worth the money. You'll probably only see a 30-50% improvement in speed by adding in a 2nd 6870.

The 6870 is not as bad as I make it out to be, just that I find that configuration a bit asymmetrical and you could definitely match a better card with a system like that. What you should have done is only gotten 6GB or 8GB of ram and saved money there. You don't need 12GB for anything as a normal home user. Even 8GB is extremely excessive for the majority of people. I do video encoding and run virtual machines inside my machine and I rarely use all my 8GB of ram. The amount of ram you got doesn't make much sense. The savings should have been spent on a slightly faster CPU or a larger harddrive or a faster videocard. You could have gotten half the system ram and be more than fine. What you might need is more ram on the videocard.

Try it out first and see if it is fine. Or you could sell your 6870 and buy a 6950 or a 6970. How much video ram is on your 6870? I would definetely recommend at this point that you get a 2GB videocard. I suspect that 6870 may only have 1GB of ram?

1GB of ram on the videocard means you won't be able to run the maximum textures or very high resolutions with antialasing on.
I bought the system from dell and 12 gigs of ram was the lowest option. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

The system hasn't shipped yet so I requested they remove the 6870 (which I paid $250 extra btw)

Looks like i'll buy a card and install it myself. What would you recommend for my system for under 300?

You've been a huge help btw, thanks a ton.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaywee View Post
I bought the system from dell and 12 gigs of ram was the lowest option. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

The system hasn't shipped yet so I requested they remove the 6870 (which I paid $250 extra btw)

Looks like i'll buy a card and install it myself. What would you recommend for my system for under 300?

You've been a huge help btw, thanks a ton.
For under $300, I would get a 2GB 6950. There's an XFX one at NCIX for only today selling for $230 after rebate. Normally, they are around $289

12GB of ram as the lowest option is pretty hilarious but if that's your only choice, then so be it Ram is very cheap these days.

If you are feeling adventurous, many 6950s can be unlocked into fully working 6970s by either flashing a new bios onto them or bridging two pins on an IC on the board.