Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2023, 09:13 PM   #21
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well, he's 4th (over the last 3 seasons). And let's keep in mind that he plays with McDavid.

McDavid and Panarin are 1, 2 over that period, and yet finished 4th and 5th in the voting, with less votes than Draisaitl, combined.

Your posts come across like duh, of course he won. But I think there is plenty of arguments as to why others may have deserved it more.
It wasn't a duh, the poster above me called him overrated, and I am guessing the professional NHL players that voted on this likely disagree with that. And yes I went four years back, you went three...and after tonight Leo might even head into sole possession of 2nd assists as it's that close. Yes E=NG, yes I hate the Oilers, Leo is a really good passer and it's ok that other NHL players think that.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 AM   #22
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Leon Draisaitl as best passer is the only perplexing one. Seeing McDavid get accolades is not surprising, and frankly it is well deserved.

I'd have been stunned if the Flames had anyone on that list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
With the dry ass climate maybe it's easier to control the ice conditions?

He's a good passer, but Kucherov & McDavid consistently beat him in assists. I'm surprised too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well, he's 4th (over the last 3 seasons). And let's keep in mind that he plays with McDavid.

McDavid and Panarin are 1, 2 over that period, and yet finished 4th and 5th in the voting, with less votes than Draisaitl, combined.

Your posts come across like duh, of course he won. But I think there is plenty of arguments as to why others may have deserved it more.
Draisaitl is a better passer than McDavid. Not much of an argument there. I'm a diehard Oiler fan and even the players will tell you that themselves. McDavid's strength is his speed which creates so many chances because he goes by defenders and gets open paths to the net. Draisaitl isn't as quick so he relies on his passing. He's finished near the top in these polls in the past as well. He makes so many grade A passes each game.

For recent reference, look at the highlights of last night's game. The team had 4 goals and he had 4 assists. It's not just the assists but watch goals 2, 3 and 4. Goal 2 a behind the back pass from behind the net to Nugent-Hopkins, goal 3 a pass from his own blue line to Arizona's blue line for a Nugent-Hopkins breakway goal, and then goal 4, he made a ridiculous behind the back pass from his own end to McDavid for a breakaway who hit the post and then a few seconds later stole the puck and from his knees sent McDavid on another breakaway.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #23
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, I'm going to feel real dirty saying this, but Draisaitl's level of passing was what I was expecting from Huberdeau, and it's been disappointing to see that it hasn't even been close this season. We can argue Draisaitl's got better finishers, especially McDavid during powerplays, but some of Huberdeau's back hand passes have looked so forced this season.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote