Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2023, 03:46 PM   #41
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sutter is a guy who helped bring Kadri here, wanted him signed, actively participated in the recruitment process. Their relationship is supposed to be great, both know exactly what they were getting and were good with it.

Could just be a bit of gossip though. One overtime benching for backtalking the coach isn't a big deal.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:49 PM   #42
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Say what you want about the organization, but I hope Sutter is on Kadri. He's been crap for nearly 2 months now and this team needs the top players playing up to their levels. Same goes for Huberdeau (even a decent second half from him would have this team in a playoff spot) who can't even come close to mustering a PPG run.

What's the alternative? A coach that just let's these guys slump and doesn't demand more? Let's see how that works in the post season.
I agree with the general idea that the coach is not the sole problem here. I also think Darryl is a good coach and knowledgeable hockey mind. I just don't think he's the right coach for this team.

If the rumours about a rift are true (and I tend to believe they are) then the way I see it the team has two options:

1. Side with your coach who you know has a short shelf life and who is 64 years old and very likely on his last NHL coaching deal

or

2. Side with your two new star players who both seem to have issues with the coach and are both signed for another 6 seasons after this

Again, I fully agree that the rot in this organization goes deeper than the coach. It has for my entire lifetime. But if I were the GM and I had a mandate to be competitive for the next 6 years, I'm not choosing to ride it out with Darryl. I'm bringing in someone else who can try and get more out of Kadri and Huberdeau.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #43
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that the only person that would be upset if Kadri spent a whole game in the press box would be Kadri himself. He has been Mason Raymond light for the past month and a half. He has been worse than subpar Kadri. He has been a liability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #44
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I agree with the general idea that the coach is not the sole problem here. I also think Darryl is a good coach and knowledgeable hockey mind. I just don't think he's the right coach for this team.

If the rumours about a rift are true (and I tend to believe they are) then the way I see it the team has two options:

1. Side with your coach who you know has a short shelf life and who is 64 years old and very likely on his last NHL coaching deal

or

2. Side with your two new star players who both seem to have issues with the coach and are both signed for another 6 seasons after this

Again, I fully agree that the rot in this organization goes deeper than the coach. It has for my entire lifetime. But if I were the GM and I had a mandate to be competitive for the next 6 years, I'm not choosing to ride it out with Darryl. I'm bringing in someone else who can try and get more out of Kadri and Huberdeau.

Unfortunately, it is that either/or thinking that started the coaching carousel the Flames have been on for years. It does not take a stretch to believe that there are relationship issues in the locker room. Sutter has made some questionable decisions this year. However, the conclusion that Sutter should be fired the year after he appeared to be the right fit seems short-sighted. Coaching like any other position on a hockey team requires a certain level of talent and the Flames have traditionally had a terrible time hiring talented coaches. He's easily the best coach that they've had in a long time. The question is less for me about whether Sutter should be fired but who is better that is going to replace him? I highly doubt that they have a better candidate for the role.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:16 PM   #45
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heck, I wouldn't play Kadri in OT either with the way he's been mentally checking out during line changes during extra time.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #46
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Kadri sits for OT again tonight too.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:37 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
CP hates insiders.

First Seravalli, now Friedman.

Weird stuff.
CP is not a collective. Look at who started the thread - that's all you need.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:38 PM   #48
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
I have no respect for anyone that chooses to use CAL instead of CGY.
I feel like I’m one of the few people who doesn’t get bothered by him using the wrong abbreviations. I think it’s obvious he’s trolling people at this point with them
Old 03-20-2023, 04:43 PM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
Unfortunately, it is that either/or thinking that started the coaching carousel the Flames have been on for years. It does not take a stretch to believe that there are relationship issues in the locker room. Sutter has made some questionable decisions this year. However, the conclusion that Sutter should be fired the year after he appeared to be the right fit seems short-sighted. Coaching like any other position on a hockey team requires a certain level of talent and the Flames have traditionally had a terrible time hiring talented coaches. He's easily the best coach that they've had in a long time. The question is less for me about whether Sutter should be fired but who is better that is going to replace him? I highly doubt that they have a better candidate for the role.
I mean, I don't disagree with much that you're saying. I'm trying to put myself into the shoes of the Flames GM this summer, whoever that may be.

I think the fact that I really only see two options here is unfortunately a result of the poor organizational management that I talked about earlier in the thread. A good organization wouldn't constantly be putting themselves in positions where the coaches need to be swapped out every two years.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:46 PM   #50
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d be more concerned if the reports were that everyone was happy and everything was great. They are a veteran heavy underperforming team.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:51 PM   #51
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have two big personalities like this they will clash. You could see pre-game Kadri wasn't to excited about his new linemates and reduced ice time.

He also didn't take any responsibility for his play either when asked, so yeah when you watch what he as put out there this season you can see he hasn't been very good for us. I would rip into him as well for his selfish play this year.

The team wont function with this much tension.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:53 PM   #52
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I mean, I don't disagree with much that you're saying. I'm trying to put myself into the shoes of the Flames GM this summer, whoever that may be.

I think the fact that I really only see two options here is unfortunately a result of the poor organizational management that I talked about earlier in the thread. A good organization wouldn't constantly be putting themselves in positions where the coaches need to be swapped out every two years.

I agree with you about how the team has been run. I would prefer that they keep a talented coach and try to sort out the other issues that have plagued the team this year - whether they are relationships, communication, mental performance, or fit on the roster - than get rid of a known talented coach.

If Sutter's attitude really is the problem despite his talent, then they have no choice. I just hope that they try to exhaust every other option before that because they aren't likely to get another coach of his talent level in the position any time soon.

In a year with terrible shooting and save percentages, I hope the team considers it a season where a lot of things went poorly that may not be as bad next year.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:55 PM   #53
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Friedman has been crap for a while now. Used to be top shelf insider behind only Bobby Mac. Now he’s about the last guy I’d trust with any behind the scenes stuff beyond trades/signings.

Once he started to have too many ongoing gigs, he started to lower his standards and up the BS rumour mongering so that he’d have something to talk about.

I’d take anything he says with a huge grain of salt.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 04:55 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope Kadri is not happy. If only there was some way for him to prove he should be on the ice in OT. Or play with better linemates.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:02 PM   #55
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure who should be playing in OT, as its just not working....

Kadri however has had good and bad games

Same as many other veteran players on this team
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #56
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Say what you want about the organization, but I hope Sutter is on Kadri. He's been crap for nearly 2 months now and this team needs the top players playing up to their levels. Same goes for Huberdeau (even a decent second half from him would have this team in a playoff spot) who can't even come close to mustering a PPG run.

What's the alternative? A coach that just let's these guys slump and doesn't demand more? Let's see how that works in the post season.
Friedman was speculating that it was Kadri going off on Sutter. Not the other way around. I agree with you that Kadri has played like crap since the all star break. That’s what pisses me off about what Friedman is saying. He’s saying that there may have been some harsh words exchanged on the bench from Kadri towards Sutter, with no indication from anyone else that such a thing happened. Did he even consider that Sutter maybe just didn’t play him in OT due to the fact he’s played like crap lately??
Old 03-20-2023, 05:08 PM   #57
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Friedman was speculating that it was Kadri going off on Sutter. Not the other way around. I agree with you that Kadri has played like crap since the all star break. That’s what pisses me off about what Friedman is saying. He’s saying that there may have been some harsh words exchanged on the bench from Kadri towards Sutter, with no indication from anyone else that such a thing happened. Did he even consider that Sutter maybe just didn’t play him in OT due to the fact he’s played like crap lately??
Or Friedman has a source, and maybe what is he is saying is from an agent.

That would be my guess.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 05:11 PM   #58
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hopefully Kadri sits for OT again tonight too.
I like how OT happening tonight is just a foregone conclusion.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 05:14 PM   #59
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
CP is not a collective. Look at who started the thread - that's all you need.
And what is that supposed to mean? If you have a problem with me then PM and let’s talk about it. Don’t just take a veiled shot at me.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #60
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Mike Richard's fake interviews with Mikka were more credible
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote