Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #41
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
“As they should”
Yes, every single Calgary Flames player should wear it, just like they all did for the Black Community on Feb. 28 & for the Indigenous Community on Mar. 4.

The message is that the LGTBQ2S+ community is welcome to safely attend a Flames game and other events in the Saddledome.

People like you, who find that this particular welcoming message goes against some personal standard of yours, make these Pride events even more necessary. You are the one who needs to grow up.

Last edited by Howie_16; 03-19-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Howie_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #42
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
“As they should”

Grow up - why is it always a one street must comply to whatever ‘moral standard’ that someone else seems to be required. There’s lots I could say for you to comply with my ideals, yet I don’t. Yet this ‘movement’ allows zero respect or space for those who believe (dare I say even think) contrary to what is being shoved down everyone’s throats.
What do you believe contrary to what is "being shoved down everyone's throats"? Unless you tell us, there's no way to know whether people will respect it.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:28 PM   #43
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Is this settled, though? I have to say, I've heard people say they doubt this, both in person and media, and I myself am simply unsure how to challenge them. I'm curious to know how you can state that with such certainty.

If you mean that we ought to respect and protect the rights of marginalized people, then yeah. But if some players feel that this promotes an ideology that they don't agree with, why must they? I don't think them refusing to participate in Pride Night communicates that they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else.
When did you choose to be straight?

Also, I'm14andthisisdeep.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 07:32 PM   #44
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should I look through Goriders’ posting history to find where he complained about sports and politics on military appreciation night?
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #45
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Should I look through Goriders’ posting history to find where he complained about sports and politics on military appreciation night?
I guess if you have nothing better to do.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:44 PM   #46
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Is this settled, though? I have to say, I've heard people say they doubt this, both in person and media, and I myself am simply unsure how to challenge them. I'm curious to know how you can state that with such certainty.

If you mean that we ought to respect and protect the rights of marginalized people, then yeah. But if some players feel that this promotes an ideology that they don't agree with, why must they? I don't think them refusing to participate in Pride Night communicates that they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else.
Whether it is genetic or environmental (personally I lean towards nature than nurture), homosexuality isn't a choice. Evangelical Christianity, in particular, is undoubtedly a choice. You say a prayer to accept Jesus into your life and need to choose to be baptized (unlike Catholicism) into the faith. Evangelical Christianity is an ideology - it isn’t just a religion. For evangelicals, homophobia is a feature of their beliefs not a bug.

Showing that you support LGBTQ people is not supporting an ideology. It is showing that you care about your gay friends, teammates, opponents, and fans. Wearing that jersey isn’t ideological. It’s about showing that you care. You don’t have to be a liberal to do that.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:44 PM   #47
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Should I look through Goriders’ posting history?
No. I doubt there would be any surprises there to discover anyway.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:46 PM   #48
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
What exactly is being shoved down your throat by a message that says "Everyone is welcome"
This is what i imagine.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:46 PM   #49
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
It would be nice to just watch a hockey game. Minus politics or division.

Those were the days.
it will be a good day when they scrap the national anthems before games, I agree.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #50
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Aside...

Has anyone worked for a company that had one of these events? Were employees forced to wear a pride shirts. Or made people put their pronouns in their Zoom name. Are there repercussions? How would this work in the normal world?

We celebrate pride at my company, and have since 2015, it's totally voluntary, you can ask for a tshirt, show up to the food, attend the lunch n learns. We explain why putting pronouns in ones zoom/linkedin/slack helps folks be more comfortable with their gender identity, but even some of the LGBTQ folks don't put it in their online profiles.

It's quite simple - and you really don't know why someone chose to not participate: maybe too many deadlines? Maybe they are uncomfortable?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 08:56 PM   #51
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if the pride event will be as welcoming as this thread.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:07 PM   #52
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Aside...

Has anyone worked for a company that had one of these events? Were employees forced to wear a pride shirts. Or made people put their pronouns in their Zoom name. Are there repercussions? How would this work in the normal world?
To me this is the issue. Why can’t players who don’t want to participate for any reason just sit out warmup, shutup about it and let the rest of the team wear them?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 09:13 PM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I know you’re just bouncing back and forth between the two threads doing these pointless little drive bys, hoping something gives you attention, but you should honestly attend a Pride event. I promise you’ll be more than welcomed, you can face your fears, and probably have an incredible time.

The only person stopping you from attending a Pride event is you

Last edited by PepsiFree; 03-19-2023 at 10:21 PM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 09:16 PM   #54
expo2428
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're not fooling anyone that you're just trying to be a troll. You don't even put any merit into your posts you just post a sentence every 20 minutes trying to stir some ####. Everyone's opinion matters but if you're just trying to get a ride out of people obviously people are t going to be welcome with your drive by remarks.
expo2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:48 PM   #55
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

5-10% of people are homosexual. If you don't know anyone that is, that is likely because people you know that are don't want to tell you. Maybe that's because they don't feel safe doing so.

Stuff like this game helps them feel safe sharing who they are and feeling like they belong anywhere. It requires very little imagination and empathy to put yourselves in their shoes to imagine how much stress it would be to hide that part of yourself, and how macho straight culture could scare people off from enjoying something the rest of us take for granted, like hockey.

If that doesn't work, just think of it as doing something nice for your neighbour.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 10:23 PM   #56
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Yup... the good ol days... where the privileged got to live in blissful ignorance of the discrimination/exclusion/hate that others had to deal with on a daily basis...

so much better than now where the privileged get to live in blissful ignorance, but are every so slightly inconvenienced every now and then...
Post of the thread.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #57
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
This is what i imagine.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
And don't feel alone. A lot of simple minded folks trot out this scene from Seinfeld to express themselves over this topic.

Except Kramer actually participates in the walk to support AIDS victims and instead refuses something deemed extracurricular or insignificant. The difference, of course being, is that players refusing to wear a jersey expressly representing inclusiveness and acceptance of human beings is demonstrating a complete opposition of that idea, while also doing neither the work nor bare minimum.

A more comparable situation is Kramer not even showing up and then explaining why he's against AIDS but can never support how the ill got there in the first place.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 11:51 PM   #58
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
The pope's words are a day late and a dollar short.

The catholic church still largely views homosexual activity as a mortal sin and an abomination. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathol..._homosexuality

The pope is ok with same-sex unions but not same-sex marriage.

And of course there's the church's long, documented history of child sexual abuse. The church has a TON of work to do if it hopes to earn back any public trust.

I think it's perfectly fair to have disdain for the church itself without having disdain for catholics in general (or religious people in general).
1) Wikipedia is not a legitimate source
2) The Church's sexual abuse history is brutal and indefensible. Other segments of society, like Canadian hockey, also have brutal and indefensible sexual abuse histories. I believe that the Catholic Church has taken some steps in the right direction, but work in this area is far from over.
3) You say that you can have disdain for the church without having disdain for Catholics, but by and large CalgaryPuck disagrees. There are many many posts that get lots of thanks that attack Christians for their belief in God which seems ironic in a thread complaining about a lack of tolerance and inclusivity.

Here are three quotes from this thread that attack attacking Christians. Ridicule isn't really showing tolerance or inclusivity.

Quote:
a couple people out of 700 worshiping a bigoted god
Quote:
you have guys gleefully soapboxing about some make believe voice in their head that told them to do something dumb
Quote:
it reveals what is inside the confused, gullible, demented mind of a "christian"
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 11:54 PM   #59
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I know a lot of wonderful, open and accepting people from a number of different religions, so I know it isn’t the book that makes the person.

That said, it makes me just as sad that people will rush to defend religion from the criticisms against people like Reimer (saying “oh, he doesn’t represent us”), but don’t seem to be in any hurry to be the first to defend the people that beliefs like the ones Reimer holds devalue.

He doesn’t represent all Christians, but it’d be nice if the Christians that remind us of that would show it instead of putting all their focus on saying it, which most often seems the case.
If people really paid attention, they would see that there are many Christian sources who have been standing up for homosexual persons for years. I quoted Pope Francis in some recent statements, but was told that he doesn't count because some priests abused children. I guess the bottom line is CalgaryPuck has been tolerant of many posters openly ridiculing people of faith for many years and it is silly to expect that to change.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:09 AM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
1) Wikipedia is not a legitimate source
For an academic paper? No. For information? Yes. We’re not in University anymore.

Quote:
3) You say that you can have disdain for the church without having disdain for Catholics, but by and large CalgaryPuck disagrees
CalgaryPuck isn’t a hive mind.

Quote:
If people really paid attention, they would see that there are many Christian sources who have been standing up for homosexual persons for years. I quoted Pope Francis in some recent statements, but was told that he doesn't count because some priests abused children.
I do pay attention, and I have seen that, but I was specifically talking about Christians who (when seeing a fellow Christian who doesn’t represent them) make it a point to defend Christianity from criticism as a response but don’t actually do anything show that the person in question doesn’t represent them. You didn’t actually make any effort to say how you feel about Pride, or present yourself as an alternative representation of Christianity. You didn’t take any issue with Reimer’s belief, you took issue with people criticizing religion.

Quote:
I guess the bottom line is CalgaryPuck has been tolerant of many posters openly ridiculing people of faith for many years and it is silly to expect that to change.
CalgaryPuck (if you really paid attention) is tolerant of many posters ridiculing all sorts of things, including visible minorities and trans people. It’s actually takes quite a bit of over-the-top language to even get a time out. But how often do you step in and say something when it’s anyone but a Christian being criticized?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: