Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 07:20 AM   #501
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Yeah, it was the red card. Spurs were bossing it up to that point.

Apart from comical defending for what was a penalty, this was easily the most comfortable I’ve been watching an NLD.

The ref got all the calls right. Unlike when you played Chelsea.
Of course that’s your opinion. At 2-1 it was still a game until the red though. There’s no way that’s a straight red, it’s completely preposterous.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:28 AM   #502
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The complete garbage red card was the dagger though. I think they get back to even without that.

Sure! I think they'd have won 6-2 because they were really bossing the game up to that point.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:40 AM   #503
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course that’s your opinion. At 2-1 it was still a game until the red though. There’s no way that’s a straight red, it’s completely preposterous.

You can’t have that view about the red card and then claim to go on to know about football. I’d rather it didn’t happen because…excuses.

From what I’ve seen about Tottenham so far this season, this result was coming.

Luckily for Spurs, Conte will see this differently to you. He’ll use this to get a reaction. I hate Spurs, but your team is better than that and Conte will get better than that. Just as he did last season.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:44 AM   #504
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also feels like we should start giving Arteta some credit as being a pretty good manager overall. He definitely still makes mistakes (see: panic subs in the United game), but he got his tactics spot on today and they've looked quite good in every match this season.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #505
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
You can’t have that view about the red card and then claim to go on to know about football. I’d rather it didn’t happen because…excuses.

From what I’ve seen about Tottenham so far this season, this result was coming.

Luckily for Spurs, Conte will see this differently to you. He’ll use this to get a reaction. I hate Spurs, but your team is better than that and Conte will get better than that. Just as he did last season.
Oh nice the “you don’t know anything about football because you have a different opinion” comment. Come on, surely we can have better discussions than that around here.

Thing is, Lloris makes a mistake and gives up a howler. Spurs fans have seen this story before, but it’s 2-1 with about 40 minutes to go. Royal makes a bad challenge…in a match where no cards have been shown and some could’ve been yellows. No players are pushing for that to be red, and it doesn’t fit the definition. It’s not dangerous play, it’s not some crunching two foot tackle or anything like that. It’s a bad call that changed the entire game.

The loss last year with Nuno was much, much worse though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:55 AM   #506
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Spurs have gotten results up to this point this year, but really there have been some red flags in terms of their inability to really dictate the game and dominate possession.

Caught up to them today
100%
There have been a lot of red flags leading up to today.

Today showed the gulf that is now started to establish between the two teams. Not to mention stability levels.

Arteta isn't going anywhere and has built a young cohesive competitive squad.

On the other hand Conte is non-commital, more than likely looking out for options and we're probably just a couple of months away from Kane going for another round of golf with Neville to declare his availability.

#Oleforthespurs?

Old 10-01-2022, 09:30 AM   #507
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Spurs have gotten results up to this point this year, but really there have been some red flags in terms of their inability to really dictate the game and dominate possession.

Caught up to them today
As Slava has been saying; they were taking points off weak or struggling opponents and we'd see what they were made of when they actually played someone good.

Oh wait, he saying that about Arsenal.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #508
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trossard has had a hell of a season, surely should be starting for Belgium at the WC.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #509
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a fantastic Maguire impression by van Dijk on the last Brighton goal.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #510
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Van Dijk was broken by his twerk on the winning goal in the UCL final, he's been terrible this year. Trent, well, if I speak...
Old 10-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #511
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah no idea what is going on with VVD but he’s looked outright bad this season at times.

Not even like “not his usual elite form”, but actually bad
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #512
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Royal with maybe the most stupid tackle of the season, it was a clear red

It was also in arsenals side of the field and martinelli was going back towards the goal, literally zero danger

I dono if Lloris was effected by the injury that made him pull out of the french squad, but he played bad, the 2nd goal was obvious, the 3rd he didnt get close too, and his distribution which is average at best, was far below

Otherwise the game was lost on the team selection when we started with only 2 midfielders, arsenal were always gonna dominate possession. Same thing happened vs chelsea. Against the good teams , need to go with the 3412, not the 343, bissouma or skipp needed to start over richarlison
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #513
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never expected to win there though, haven't since van der vaart and bale just took over the 2nd half of that game 10 years ago

Still think spurs finish above arsenal, but arsenal are better than expected

Couple that with liverpool coming back to the pack, 2nd through 5th between them, spurs, arsenal, and united looks like it will be a good battle
Old 10-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #514
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh nice the “you don’t know anything about football because you have a different opinion” comment. Come on, surely we can have better discussions than that around here.

Thing is, Lloris makes a mistake and gives up a howler. Spurs fans have seen this story before, but it’s 2-1 with about 40 minutes to go. Royal makes a bad challenge…in a match where no cards have been shown and some could’ve been yellows. No players are pushing for that to be red, and it doesn’t fit the definition. It’s not dangerous play, it’s not some crunching two foot tackle or anything like that. It’s a bad call that changed the entire game.

The loss last year with Nuno was much, much worse though.
Yeah, what I said was a bit harsh. But I genuinely don’t know how you can argue against that red.

That said, I’d rather you had finished with a full complement. I don’t like it when players get sent off because it takes away from the entertainment value of a game.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:00 PM   #515
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good win by Arsenal to stay on top of the league.

Spurs did have a pretty good stretch of control towards the end of the first half, so it was good to see Arsenal start the second half the way they did.

That was a rough challenge on Martinelli. I don’t know if it should have been straight red or not, but that was definitely an unnecessary stomp. I doubt that would have changed the outcome though.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:01 PM   #516
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, a great strike by Partey on that first goal. Xhaka with an awesome outing as well.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:57 PM   #517
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one on spurs thought to mark Partey on that goal because he should be in jail, so he had all the time in the world
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #518
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the story on Djed Spence?
Conte sign him for no apparent reason?

Old 10-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #519
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What's the story on Djed Spence?
Conte sign him for no apparent reason?
He said it was a club signing when it was done, someone on the athletic, maybe James Horncastle said, the wing back position is so important in Contes system he's hesitant to trust young players in it at all.

Even last year, he didn't like reguilon but it took him months and months to try sessegnon at lwb consistently.

Now that royal is out for 3 games, maybe he gets a chance against Everton? But I'd guess he would go sessegnon at lwb and perisic at rwb before anything else.

I don't think Spence gets anything more than cameos until after the world cup
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #520
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes next year interesting if he's still at spurs, because destiny ugodie is blowing up this year in serie a, and he was sent back to Udinese on loan for 1 year, he will only be 20 by then but may already be starting for Italy. So he's gonna need to play