Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #11481
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
You don’t possibly think that Edwards said “sign Brouwer, Raymond, Neal and Markstrom” do you?
All of those deals except MAYBE Brouwer were very well reviewed across the entire league.

Raymond had come off a .5 PPG season. and in fact follwed up with the same kind of season for Calgary in his first year, which was marred by injury. Then he suprisingly cratered hard under Hartley at only 29 years of age. Neal had never scored less than 20 goals. And Markstorm was the prize goalie of his off season. Last year it looked like a brilliant signing. and he can probably play like that again.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:39 PM   #11482
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Weird question to answer but do we know how much revenue each additional playoff game brings? I'm very curious, what the opportunity cost of giving up the playoffs to do a full rebuild would cost.
I remember reading (have no idea where but it was rather detailed as to how the number was arrived at) that the 2004 run generated an extra 1.9M/game.
Basically it worked out to the Average ticket price per game times 20k.
if this were still true, would that mean about 4 million today?

It was mentioned in another thread that Kerr had said the Flames NEEDED the playoff revenue this year. wonder if its because regular season ticket sales are down this year and it caught them by surprise
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:41 PM   #11483
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
I remember reading (have no idea where but it was rather detailed as to how the number was arrived at) that the 2004 run generated an extra 1.9M/game.
Basically it worked out to the Average ticket price per game times 20k.
if this were still true, would that mean about 4 million today?

It was mentioned in another thread that Kerr had said the Flames NEEDED the playoff revenue this year. wonder if its because regular season ticket sales are down this year and it caught them by surprise
I have a 1/4 seasons ticket and attendance looked normal to me (I've had every kind of game too - weekday, weekend, strong team, weak team, low interest team).
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 04:43 PM   #11484
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629985782617477120
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #11485
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Saw some non-professional speculation that a Bennett-Girard swap would make sense for both sides. I think it would be alright.

I do wonder how much the avs would pay for a 50% retained Lindholm though, if the Flames aren’t going to commit to extending him this summer then Colorado would be a perfect landing spot for him.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #11486
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
All of those deals except MAYBE Brouwer were very well reviewed across the entire league.

Raymond had come off a .5 PPG season. and in fact follwed up with the same kind of season for Calgary in his first year, which was marred by injury. Then he suprisingly cratered hard under Hartley at only 29 years of age. Neal had never scored less than 20 goals. And Markstorm was the prize goalie of his off season. Last year it looked like a brilliant signing. and he can probably play like that again.
Yes the whole league was in awe of the Flames locking down a 0.6 PPG 31 year old forward for 5 years. That is my recollection.

Raymond’s same type of season was a 0.4 PPG campaign as a soft, scoring winger.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 02-26-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #11487
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have a 1/4 seasons ticket and attendance looked normal to me (I've had every kind of game too - weekday, weekend, strong team, weak team, low interest team).
According to Hockeydb it looks to be down about 700/game (using 2017 to 2020 as reference). Got to be close to 3M for the year
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #11488
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Raymond signing did not make much sense to me. Inconsistent and injury riddled his entire career, he did not deserve a three year deal. I don’t remember it being such a heralded signing and he was never very good in Calgary.

Neal’s reputation was well known and lots of people questioned that term.

In any case, neither really struck me as “bad luck”.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:51 PM   #11489
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Saw some non-professional speculation that a Bennett-Girard swap would make sense for both sides. I think it would be alright.

I do wonder how much the avs would pay for a 50% retained Lindholm though, if the Flames aren’t going to commit to extending him this summer then Colorado would be a perfect landing spot for him.
I'd take Girard or Byram or any of the riches Colorado has for prospect D. Man I hope we're selling at the deadline, could get some nice pieces to continue a retool
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:51 PM   #11490
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

That argument is laughable, so what if most fans like it at the time. So what if other teams liked it. They didn’t. Treliving did and it didn’t work. He doesn’t get a pass on his mistake because nobody else saw it.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #11491
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Of course the avs would like playoff bennett
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #11492
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes the whole league was in awe of the Flames locking down a 0.6 PPG 31 year old forward for 5 years. That is my recollection.
LOL - you cite the contract I used as an exception - it was his first attempt at a bigger UFA signing. And I didn't say "in awe", I said well received. Even at that Brouwer wasn't viewed negatively. He was viewed as a potentially good PO performer off his previous season.

But prove me wrong - show me all the articles from the relevant time that say those were bad signings.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:56 PM   #11493
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL - you cite the contract I used as an exception - it was his first attempt at a bigger UFA signing. And I didn't say "in awe", I said well received. Even at that Brouwer wasn't viewed negatively. He was viewed as a potentially good PO performer off his previous season.

But prove me wrong - show me all the articles from the relevant time that say those were bad signings.
LOL, I cited Neal, he was the 0.6 PPG guy. Nobody thought that was a good contrast. Brouwer was a mere 0.5 PPG guy that we sunk big money into.

Prove me your right where the Neal signing was lauded around the league as a great longterm signing for the Flames.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #11494
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Raymond signing did not make much sense to me. Inconsistent and injury riddled his entire career, he did not deserve a three year deal. I don’t remember it being such a heralded signing and he was never very good in Calgary.

Neal’s reputation was well known and lots of people questioned that term.

In any case, neither really struck me as “bad luck”.
Raymond was a get to the floor type of deal. Bad teams trying ti be bad still need to find players who will take their money. Problem was that bad team that was supposed to be bad...ended up not being bad and strayed from the rebuild
Old 02-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #11495
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1629996597789749250
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 05:10 PM   #11496
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Come on Brad.

We need bite and someone with Jam.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #11497
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:12 PM   #11498
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Come on Brad.

We don't need anything.

Offseason will bring on plenty of change.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:13 PM   #11499
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Come on Brad.

Yea not even McDavid could save this team.

Save the assets, we need to re-tool, no duct tape is fixing this.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:14 PM   #11500
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You don’t possibly think that Edwards said “sign Brouwer, Raymond, Neal and Markstrom” do you?
No, I don’t.

But if you want to go there, what were his options?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote