Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2023, 12:58 PM   #11461
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are pretty threadbare on defensive prospects anywhere near promotion. The hanafin chatter only exists because of the potential return of kylington, and I have my doubts that is going to happen. There is literally no one to replace Taney on the right.

If calgary makes moves, it will be from the forwards ranks, with Phillips, zary, zohorna and the forgotten Petterson waiting in the wings.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:12 PM   #11462
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Flames are pretty threadbare on defensive prospects anywhere near promotion. The hanafin chatter only exists because of the potential return of kylington, and I have my doubts that is going to happen. There is literally no one to replace Taney on the right.

If calgary makes moves, it will be from the forwards ranks, with Phillips, zary, zohorna and the forgotten Petterson waiting in the wings.
I would add Coronato too, providing they get him signed.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #11463
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would Toffoli to the canes make sense? Fits their mould, and would become one of their top goal scorers. His contract also aligns with their Aho window. Not sure about the money aspect of it.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:33 PM   #11464
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
Would Toffoli to the canes make sense? Fits their mould, and would become one of their top goal scorers. His contract also aligns with their Aho window. Not sure about the money aspect of it.
Interesting.

If Meier goes to the devils, this could make sense.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #11465
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Interesting.

If Meier goes to the devils, this could make sense.
Think they would be willing to give up Jarvis ?
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #11466
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

For Toffoli?? No.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #11467
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Think they would be willing to give up Jarvis ?
Was thinking Gunler.

Or absolutely max out and send Tanev and Toff there seeing as they're looking for d and scoring.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:50 PM   #11468
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canes have all sorts of goodies the Flames could use for a retool on the fly. Their prospect list reads like page #1 of a draft guide.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:54 PM   #11469
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my opinion, the Canes are the best run NHL team. Their front office is full of really smart people. But I think the thing that sets them apart is that their owner actually helps the hockey operations!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #11470
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
In my opinion, the Canes are the best run NHL team. Their front office is full of really smart people. But I think the thing that sets them apart is that their owner actually helps the hockey operations!
Difference between building a solid foundation over time rather than just trying to make the playoffs each year for revenue
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #11471
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I haven’t listened to it yet, but Seravelli interviewed Tom Dundon on his podcast, frankly speaking, and what sounded refreshing from a hockey perspective is it sounds like he has told Waddel and Brind’Amour that they aren’t going anywhere and he sees them as the GM and coach for as long as they want to be. The stability and long term thinking is rare for the NHL and unheard of for the Flames.

The benefits of this approach are apparent. Not only are they a contender they have a surplus of picks and prospects. The Canes are playing chess while the Flsmes are playing checkers in this regard.

The Flames now have a seasoned GM who cut his teeth in their organization. Give him the ball and, Edwards, get out of the way.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 03:53 PM   #11472
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ehlers seems to be in and out of the doghouse in Winnipeg. We could certainly use his speed.
Flames_F.T.W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #11473
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
Ehlers seems to be in and out of the doghouse in Winnipeg. We could certainly use his speed.
They wont subtract from their roster.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:10 PM   #11474
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I haven’t listened to it yet, but Seravelli interviewed Tom Dundon on his podcast, frankly speaking, and what sounded refreshing from a hockey perspective is it sounds like he has told Waddel and Brind’Amour that they aren’t going anywhere and he sees them as the GM and coach for as long as they want to be. The stability and long term thinking is rare for the NHL and unheard of for the Flames.

The benefits of this approach are apparent. Not only are they a contender they have a surplus of picks and prospects. The Canes are playing chess while the Flsmes are playing checkers in this regard.

The Flames now have a seasoned GM who cut his teeth in their organization. Give him the ball and, Edwards, get out of the way.
Treliving has been around for 9 yrs. The 6th longest serving GM in the NHL

I am not sure what stability and long term complain is about

His method hasn’t worked. What make you think it would work now.?

Last edited by Flamesfan05; 02-26-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:14 PM   #11475
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

Treliving’s method or Edwards?

Pretty sure it’s not Treliving who is setting the mandate of make the playoffs every year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 04:18 PM   #11476
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I wish we did the same thing with Sutter / Treiliving. Every player is interchangeable and management / analytics / drafting and coaching are prioritized. Build every team around the RFA period with 1 month before training cap UFAs used to supplement certain positions. Accept that we're never signing any other kind of UFA, even our own.

The "change the coach" crowd can get stuffed.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #11477
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving’s method or Edwards?

Pretty sure it’s not Treliving who is setting the mandate of make the playoffs every year.
You don’t possibly think that Edwards said “sign Brouwer, Raymond, Neal and Markstrom” do you?
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:29 PM   #11478
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird question to answer but do we know how much revenue each additional playoff game brings? I'm very curious, what the opportunity cost of giving up the playoffs to do a full rebuild would cost.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:30 PM   #11479
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

I'm not sold on Treliving necessarily. But the "method" is on ownership - not the GM. Murray and Co. want to be "competitive" every year. It doesn't work, but they'll continue to try.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #11480
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I'm not sold on Treliving necessarily. But the "method" is on ownership - not the GM. Murray and Co. want to be "competitive" every year. It doesn't work, but they'll continue to try.
Maybe but Treliving is executing at badly if the mandate is to make the playoffs or even win a round or two

He is allowed to spend max caps every year. I doubt it’s the owners that make decisions on which players to trade for.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote