Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 10:27 AM   #10481
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I appreciate you enthusiasm but you don’t think the Flames would be able to acquire 7 first round picks, do you?

Are there no other teams, at all, that want first rounds picks either? Are the other 7 GM’s that eager to give up firsts?

It’s a market. There are only so many first’s available at one time and it’s unlikely any one team ends up with an additional two, let alone 5,6,or 7.
I didn’t say all had to be 2023. And those were just quick examples. Prospects would be nice, too.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:30 AM   #10482
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
That’s alright. We can still get on a fast track and start this rebuild now. Will still get more value for this players this year as they have some term left.

Trading just pure rentals next year will not only delay everything by a year, it will see less capital in return.

Now is the time
Actually, now is not the time.

Rest assured the Flames will take their time. These moves are offseason moves.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #10483
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
I appreciate you enthusiasm but you don’t think the Flames would be able to acquire 7 first round picks, do you?

Are there no other teams, at all, that want first rounds picks either? Are the other 7 GM’s that eager to give up firsts?

It’s a market. There are only so many first’s available at one time and it’s unlikely any one team ends up with an additional two, let alone 5,6,or 7.
Yeah but it worked in NHL23 so it's worth a shot right?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #10484
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
You could take it at that, or understand that he's just listing what each player could be worth.

He's not saying the Flames are trading every play and loading up with 8 2023 1st round picks... you have to use some common sense.

Basically those guys would be worth some 1st's maybe some A+ prospects etc etc is how I interpret it.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #10485
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Was more listing what I thought each would be worth, and to try to get as much value as we possibly can while they have some term. But, I do appreciate the belittling, thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #10486
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t say all had to be 2023. And those were just quick examples. Prospects would be nice, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
You could take it at that, or understand that he's just listing what each player could be worth.

He's not saying the Flames are trading every play and loading up with 8 2023 1st round picks... you have to use some common sense.

Basically those guys would be worth some 1st's maybe some A+ prospects etc etc is how I interpret it.
That makes sense. First round equivalent’s.

That said, I think it’s quite unlikely we see anything ahead of this deadline. As long as this team this year is within striking distance, I doubt they sell anything off. Even Lucic, short of some team doing something silly like offering a 2nd round pick.

The direction will be set in the offseason and that could start at the managerial/coaching level.

Side note; I’m keeping Mang. for next year at least.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #10487
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

???

He specifically said this year, and specifically this year’s draft class:

Quote:
Imagine not selling this year, in the best draft class in ages, when we have players with high value we can sell (with term).

And waiting for next season when they have expiring contracts and selling in a weaker draft year.

That’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?

I’ll be sick
Mangiapane is the only player he mentioned that isn’t on an expiring contract next year, and he specifically mentioned that trading expiring contracts in a weaker draft year would make him sick.

The responses were not without common sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #10488
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
???

Uh... not the one I saw, but okay
He said this years draft class is good, but again its your interpretation of it not that he said specifically "We're trading all these guys for every teams 1st in 2023"

But hey, you and I don't agree on anything so it is what it is.

Quote:
Flames could squeeze a ton of value out of buyers if we became sellers. We could put a huge fast track on a rebuild if we just strip it down.

Lindholm - probably two 1st round picks ++
Hanifin - 1st round pick +
Toffoli - 1st round pick
Tanev - 1st round pick +
Zadorov - 1st round pick
Mangiapane - 1st round pick +

Last edited by Royle9; 02-17-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:07 AM   #10489
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
???

Mangiapane is the only player he mentioned that isn’t on an expiring contract next year, and he specifically mentioned that trading expiring contracts in a weaker draft year would make him sick.

The responses were not without common sense.
Obviously it’s better to get picks from this years draft class. But that aside, I’m in favour of starting the process now, even if the picks are later on. Our assets have higher value now than they will next year.

I feel the writing is on the wall and we are only delaying what we all know is coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 11:11 AM   #10490
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Uh... not the one I saw, but okay
He said this years draft class is good, but again its your interpretation of it not that he said specifically "We're trading all these guys for every teams 1st in 2023"

But hey, you and I don't agree on anything so it is what it is.
Even if it were 7 first round picks between 2023-2025, that would be completely unprecedented for this organization.

If the Flames were to have a firesale of the magnitude we’re talking about it would be far more likely they add 2-3 first rounds picks, some prospects, and other picks rounds 2-7.

As mentioned these moves have been unprecedented but perhaps the events of last offseason and the aftermath, including how this season has gone and appears to be going, might change how the team approaches how they handle their assets.

Last edited by TOfan; 02-17-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #10491
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Even if it were 7 first round picks between 2023-2025, that would be completely unprecedented for this organization.

If the Flames were to have a firesale of the magnitude we’re talking about it would be far more likely they add 2-3 first rounds picks, some prospects, and other picks rounds 2-7.

As mentioned these moves have been unprecedented but perhaps the events of last offseason and the aftermath, including how this season has gone and appears to be going, might change how the team approaches how they handle their assets.
I agree, you're not trading away every player he listed for picks that would be not only unprecedented for the Flames, but for the league and would also be stupid.

But trading ANY of those guys for a kings ransom would be a good start, whether it be 1st round picks or A+ prospects etc etc.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:18 AM   #10492
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Until they get a new GM, there will be no trading for picks or prospects or any kind of rebuild

Treliving will trade future for a quick fix. Spare forward/dman coming soon
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:24 AM   #10493
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s an awful feeling to almost have to cheer for losses so this ownership group doesn’t get in its own way, but I fear that’s where we’re at.

Being in striking distance or in playoff position at deadline will, I fear, tempt the flames to be a buyer when they have no business to be one.

Falling back a bit out of the pack may be the only way to prevent unnecessary assets from being deployed to win now.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #10494
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Until they get a new GM, there will be no trading for picks or prospects or any kind of rebuild

Treliving will trade future for a quick fix. Spare forward/dman coming soon
It's not the GM making the rebuild decision. That comes from way higher up.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:34 AM   #10495
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
It's not the GM making the rebuild decision. That comes from way higher up.
Sure but if they ever do, I doubt it would be with Treliving
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:39 AM   #10496
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Even if you wanted to go scorched earth, I have no idea why people wouldn’t be calling for Treliving to be removed long before any discussions of draft picks are involved.

It’s his team and people who hate it want him to be responsible for tearing it down and building another one?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:40 AM   #10497
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Even if you wanted to go scorched earth, I have no idea why people wouldn’t be calling for Treliving to be removed long before any discussions of draft picks are involved.

It’s his team and people who hate it want him to be responsible for tearing it down and building another one?
Nope, you're right he's got to go for it to even make sense.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #10498
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

People here are hilariously lashing out at the flavour of the week (Sutter) when if this team had adequate goaltending it would be firmly in a playoff spot.

I've seen people want Boudreau to come in and coach. What happened to a Boudreau coached team when Demko started playing poorly this year? Can you imagine this team with a non-Sutter system and the quality of goaltending we are getting this year?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:45 AM   #10499
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I do just go back to look at where Treliving got to draft from.

Treliving was brought in by anti-rebuild Burke. He was likely hired to get them back into a competitive spot (and his spending reflected it).

I think the team is much better at drafting and developing with Tree at the helm Vs. everybody before him...so I'd just be more worried about who is replacing him. I think Tree, if given the opportunity and mandate to rebuild would do a good job because:

1. He's a good trader. He'd maximize the return on the selling.
2. Drafting is better under him. I'd trust him with oodles of picks.

But yeah - if we moved on from him to a good candidate (read: Not Sutter), then I'm not opposed to it...I just wouldn't want to see a new GM come in and try and make the team competitive again all over again.

I'm not opposed to a new GM, I'm just fearful of who it may be...but so long as the mandate is rebuild, that's the most important thing for me.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #10500
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:

I agree. Tre can go as well. He had his chance and failed. Try with someone else