Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 07:18 AM   #10461
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
We will then start the youth movement.
What youth would they have for a youth movement? It's going to be ugly for a few years in the minors as the bodies just aren't going to be there to filter into the organization. That's what happens when you burn draft picks for guys that don't stick around.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #10462
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a team out there that would take the huberdeau contract for nothing in the offseason? His NMC kicks on July 1... Probably not but I am curious
Major Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:05 AM   #10463
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Is there a team out there that would take the huberdeau contract for nothing in the offseason? His NMC kicks on July 1... Probably not but I am curious
Maybe Montreal for Andersen+Dvroak?
Maybe Vancouver for Miller?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:11 AM   #10464
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
What youth would they have for a youth movement? It's going to be ugly for a few years in the minors as the bodies just aren't going to be there to filter into the organization. That's what happens when you burn draft picks for guys that don't stick around.
Yep, and they should start working on correcting this right now.

The 2023 Draft is a good one. Harvest whatever you can - get as many picks as you can. We unfortunately are already starting with a deficit - we have no 3rd and no 5th, which is a bummer.

Go fill the chamber with bullets though. I don't care who they trade, I have zero attachment to these players and these coaches. Easily my least favourite Flames team I've ever paid attention to as an adult.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 09:15 AM   #10465
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is not a rumor but more just a thought, in light of the Huberdeau news tonight.

Who says no:

Huberdeau + Kylington ($13M)

for

Miller + Garland ($12.95M)

Both Flames and Canucks move on from their big off season extensions. Canucks bank on Huberdeau and Pettersson being deadly together, and get a dman they desperately need.

Flames get two forwards that don't break the internal cap as much as Huberdeau does at $10.5M, actually kind of fixes some of the issues in the top 9.
Vancouver says no, Huberdeau has the same stats as Boeser in more games and they’re looking to move Boeser. You think they want a guy who’s fallen off a cliff points based on a wish that he “might” play well with Pettersen? Plus I think the Miller is a cancer has been blown way out of proportion, he wants to win, they aren’t winning, he’s frustrated by it. Huberdeau contract is unreadable until he starts putting up more points, nobody wants an 8 year 10.5m reclamation project
Old 02-17-2023, 09:23 AM   #10466
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Easily my least favourite Flames team I've ever paid attention to as an adult.
I feel the exact same way.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:24 AM   #10467
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Backlund, Toffoli, Tanev, Lindholm, Hanifin, Zadorov all up at the end of next season.

The easiest job an NHL GM can have is selling assets and those named above are all valuable. If the Flames want to acquire youth/draft capital, or critical mass as I believe you’ve termed it, the Flames might be the team best in the league in order to do so.

The question is, will they?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:35 AM   #10468
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames could squeeze a ton of value out of buyers if we became sellers. We could put a huge fast track on a rebuild if we just strip it down.

Lindholm - probably two 1st round picks ++
Hanifin - 1st round pick +
Toffoli - 1st round pick
Tanev - 1st round pick +
Zadorov - 1st round pick
Mangiapane - 1st round pick +
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 09:40 AM   #10469
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe you missed the dripping sarcasm but of course there will be no youth in the org. A world where you do this could jump start it

Feb/March 2023

Tanev for a 2023 1st and a prospect
Toffoli for a 2023 1st, a 2nd and a prospect/young NHL player
Ritchie for a 6th

Over the summer figure out what you want to do longterm with Lindholm, Hanifin, Backlund. Listen to offer for them at the deadline but only move them if you are blown away.

That would get you some youth though.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #10470
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Flames could squeeze a ton of value out of buyers if we became sellers. We could put a huge fast track on a rebuild if we just strip it down.

Toffoli - 1st round pick
Tanev - 1st round pick +
Zadorov - 1st round pick
I think someone like Tanev would return so much. If Flames just retain 1-2 million, I bet they could get an absolutel ransom.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 09:45 AM   #10471
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine not selling this year, in the best draft class in ages, when we have players with high value we can sell (with term).

And waiting for next season when they have expiring contracts and selling in a weaker draft year.

That’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?

I’ll be sick
Old 02-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #10472
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine not selling this year, in the best draft class in ages, when we have players with high value we can sell (with term).

And waiting for next season when they have expiring contracts and selling in a weaker draft year.

I’ll be sick
Even worse, the have a decent year and end up with nothing to show again.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #10473
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’ll be sick
It is the way.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:50 AM   #10474
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I’ll be sick

Yup... then ownership will sign BT long term. And don't forget we will probably sell the 1st for a rental.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:53 AM   #10475
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
I think someone like Tanev would return so much. If Flames just retain 1-2 million, I bet they could get an absolutel ransom.
What about Backlund? I think he could get a 1st at the deadline.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #10476
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The Flames can move players, but guys like Lindholm, Backlund, and Tanev are the types of guys who you need on the team when you’re introducing young players to it.

Tossing our best players that are also great professionals out the door is a smart way to ensure that whatever picks you end up with lead us right back to mediocrity.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 10:14 AM   #10477
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’ll be sick
A couple things
- teams that would acquire those players will have later picks. Once you get into the 20s this draft is more normal looking
- if the draft is better to that depth teams will be more likely to trade 2024 picks

Getting high quality 2023 1sts is going to be hard even if the team chose to sell
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #10478
Stuntman Mike
Draft Pick

At this point I'm all in for listening to offers on the names mentioned above - Lindholm, Hanifin, Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov, Mangiapane, Ritchie...

I'd prioritize moving out Ritchie, Lucic and Lewis for pick and/or prospects. Then replace coaches beloved departed vets with prospects.

You can come back next year with a younger, re-tooled team, and hopefully with a coach willing to create a system for the players on his roster. Maybe Sutter, but probably not...
Stuntman Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #10479
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Toffoli - 1st round pick
Tanev - 1st round pick +
Zadorov - 1st round pick

I appreciate you enthusiasm but you don’t think the Flames would be able to acquire 7 first round picks, do you?

Are there no other teams, at all, that want first rounds picks either? Are the other 7 GM’s that eager to give up firsts?

It’s a market. There are only so many first’s available at one time and it’s unlikely any one team ends up with an additional two, let alone 5,6,or 7.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #10480
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A couple things
- teams that would acquire those players will have later picks. Once you get into the 20s this draft is more normal looking
- if the draft is better to that depth teams will be more likely to trade 2024 picks

Getting high quality 2023 1sts is going to be hard even if the team chose to sell
That’s alright. We can still get on a fast track and start this rebuild now. Will still get more value for this players this year as they have some term left.

Trading just pure rentals next year will not only delay everything by a year, it will see less capital in return.

Now is the time