Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #9641
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Woke up this morning and there was only 31 games left in Milan Lucic’s contract.

That’ll do, World. That’ll do.

My hopes for the trade deadline pretty much end with “I hope we find a way to trade Lucic”.
Man just reading that and realizing there's only a few months left of Lucic in a Flames uniform makes last nights loss so much easier to stomach. I fully admit it's irrational and I don't hate the guy at all (seems like a good dude) but seeing him in the lineup game in and game out has really dampened my enthusiasm for the team this year. Next season's team could be worse than this one but I will always hate this season's team more because Lucic was on it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:39 AM   #9642
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
If you are the GM of an NHL team are you going anywhere near a 30 year old making 10.5M a year for the next 8 years who is having a career bad year? That's how you lose your job as a GM, Patrick Kane is 34, with same points as Huberdeau, think Kane is getting 10.5 for the next 4 years this summer based on what he used to do?
Cool. Miller still sucks.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #9643
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man just reading that and realizing there's only a few months left of Lucic in a Flames uniform makes last nights loss so much easier to stomach. I fully admit it's irrational and I don't hate the guy at all (seems like a good dude) but seeing him in the lineup game in and game out has really dampened my enthusiasm for the team this year. Next season's team could be worse than this one but I will always hate this season's team more because Lucic was on it.
Watch us bring him back next year, 2 years 2M a year
Old 02-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #9644
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what's going to happen. Its inevitable.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #9645
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You shut your filthy mouth!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:02 AM   #9646
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

If BT is GM, no new contract for Lucic.

If Sutter is GM, Lucic contract is his first order of business and he’ll say its because previous GM brought in soft players (reference to Huby).

If BT doesn’t go all in on this season at the dealine, to try to get playoff revenue, is he done? Would selling or standing pat signal the wrong things to ownership?

Flames are really in a pickle here. Worse than most seasons because of the roster revamp and big spending last offseason and increased expectations after last season. We have a lame duck GM whose hand is forced, and a league that knows it.

They should extend BT or announce his departure soon IMO.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 02-07-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #9647
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are the GM of an NHL team are you going anywhere near a 30 year old making 10.5M a year for the next 8 years who is having a career bad year? That's how you lose your job as a GM, Patrick Kane is 34, with same points as Huberdeau, think Kane is getting 10.5 for the next 4 years this summer based on what he used to do?
Huberdeau is younger than Miller. And Miller is signed for 7 more years. Huberdeau is having a career bad year, yes. But he is a better player than Miller. By a significant margin.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #9648
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
If BT is GM, no new contract for Lucic.

If Sutter is GM, Lucic contract is his first order of business and he’ll say its because previous GM brought in soft players (reference to Huby).

If BT doesn’t go all in on this season at the dealine, to try to get playoff revenue, is he done? Would selling or standing pat signal the wrong things to ownership?

Flames are really in a pickle here. Worse than most seasons because of the roster revamp and big spending last offseason and increased expectations after last season. We have a lame duck GM whose hand is forced, and a league that knows it.

They should extend BT or announce his departure soon IMO.
Yup. Going into this deadline with him up in the air is a mistake.

Either extend him or replace him if you're not going to extend him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #9649
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
This has to be one of the most bogus hot takes I've read in a while.

JT "0 effort" Miller who gave up on his team is NOT better than Huberdeau outside of this year. A year where its very evident that Sutter's style of play has hurt what makes Huberdeau good.

Lets not forget that Johnny, Lindholm and Tkachuk all played poorly under Sutter when he first came on board.

Schenn not even close to Kylington across the board, outside of the fact he's active in the NHL right now. I have a bad feeling Kylington isn't coming back soon at all so its a pointless take.

Boeser is obviously better than Lucic so you win that one.

I wouldn't do this trade as the Flames personally, its far to early to give up on Huberdeau, I think we need to build around him and put him in a position to succeed, a guy of his caliber doesn't forget how to play hockey over 1 summer... somethings just not right.

Flames should NOT be buyers, unless they win the next 5-6 games and even then I would add some younger guys with term like Duclair or Domi etc.

Otherwise they should likely be sellers and hope to re-tool through the draft.
Come on man, "Sutter's style of play has hurt what makes Huberdeau good?" It's not like Darryl invented some magical style of play that no one else plays. He basically plays tight checking playoff style hockey all year round. So if Huberdeau can't succeed under Darryl's system, than this will likely just mirror how he plays in the playoffs as well.

After all, is it a surprise how Backlund's line can be equally effective both in the playoffs and in the regular season? it's because they excel at playoff style hockey. This ultimately should fall on Huberdeau to figure out, if he can only be effective playing on the opposite end of the spectrum, then he won't be any good to us in the playoffs or under Darryl. It's probably the same reason why Bill Zito didn't bother re-signing Huberdeau the second he could, as he probably hated his last playoff performance and had enough.

So Jonathan will have no choice but to evolve his game because Darryl just re-signed before the season started and the rest of the roster is built to check for their chances, not to run & gun.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:07 PM   #9650
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it’s pretty wild to think that we’re a month away from the deadline and we have a GM without a contract going forward.

…I’m still hoping for a hard turn and for us to sell at the deadline. Gather as many picks in the 2023 draft as possible.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:15 PM   #9651
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it’s pretty wild to think that we’re a month away from the deadline and we have a GM without a contract going forward.

…I’m still hoping for a hard turn and for us to sell at the deadline. Gather as many picks in the 2023 draft as possible.
Problem is what UFAs do we have - Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, and Stone.

So maybe you could get some a 2nd round - but more likely some 3rds.

IMO this is the year you should be going all in - try to add a piece that really supports the top 6 and hope that Markstrom can find his game before the playoffs - or else you run with Vladar.

Next year is the year that they should be honest with themselves and do a retool.

Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov, and Hanifin are all going to be UFA after next season. And Backlund, Toffoli, and Tanev will all be over 31 years old, so you should not be looking at re-signing them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #9652
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Given the Flames and Treliving were in this position in 2017(?) it shouldn’t be much of a surprise. They’ve been down this road before.

I’ve heard it first hand from a scout who has been around for a while that Treliving and the Flames ownership have a very good relationship. I think the conversation is based on both parties appetite to want to continue working together and in what role. Does Treliving still want to be the GM, or would he want another role, POHO?

Based on the offseason they just had and the contracts handed out, I think it’s more likely than not that Treliving will be with the Flames.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #9653
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Problem is what UFAs do we have - Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, and Stone.

So maybe you could get some a 2nd round - but more likely some 3rds.

IMO this is the year you should be going all in - try to add a piece that really supports the top 6 and hope that Markstrom can find his game before the playoffs - or else you run with Vladar.

Next year is the year that they should be honest with themselves and do a retool.

Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov, and Hanifin are all going to be UFA after next season. And Backlund, Toffoli, and Tanev will all be over 31 years old, so you should not be looking at re-signing them.
Any picks we can gather for anything is a bonus.

I'd also go hard at Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov, and Hanifin to understand their intentions. If there is even a doubt in their desire to sign an extension on the earliest possible day, I'd retain salary and try and extract as much as I can from those players.

2023 is the draft I'd want to target. Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, and Backlund with money retained on them would be worth a killing...of course they won't do it, but they should.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #9654
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any picks we can gather for anything is a bonus.

I'd also go hard at Backlund, Lindholm, Toffoli, Tanev, Zadorov, and Hanifin to understand their intentions. If there is even a doubt in their desire to sign an extension on the earliest possible day, I'd retain salary and try and extract as much as I can from those players.

2023 is the draft I'd want to target. Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, and Backlund with money retained on them would be worth a killing...of course they won't do it, but they should.
I am too lazy to look at all of the conditions on the pick that went to Montreal for Monahan but that could lead them getting a pretty sweet pick.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:40 PM   #9655
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams looks to be in flux, we should be open to trading players for picks to contenders because we are not a contender and outside looking.

We are a 50/50 shot at best to even get in and each and every day we keep dropping points and Lucic gets double shifted that % drops.

We don't have the goaltending to win in the playoffs.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:45 PM   #9656
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I am too lazy to look at all of the conditions on the pick that went to Montreal for Monahan but that could lead them getting a pretty sweet pick.
Yeah it's not easy...but:

2024:

If the Flames draft 20-32 (inlcusive) then Montreal can choose that pick. If they don't choose that pick:

2025:

If the Flames and Panthers picks are not top-10, Montreal will receive the earlier of the two picks.

If the Flames pick is top-10 and Florida's is NOT top-10, Montreal gets Florida's pick.

IF Calgary does not get Florida's 2025 pick (which means it slid to 2026), and Calgary's pick is NOT in the top-10, then Montreal gets the Calgary 2025 1st...and then there's more complicated stuff tied to Florida's pick but the gist of it all is that:

1. If Calgary picks in the top-19 in 2024, Calgary keeps their pick.
2. If Calgary picks in the top-10 in 2025, Calgary keeps their pick - and the depending on the Florida pick, Calgary will give up their 2026 1st round pick and their 2025 3rd round pick.

So the Flames are still perfectly fine from a draft pick position to suck in 2024 and 2025.

The biggest risk to Calgary losing a high pick actually comes in 2026. If we don't get Florida's 2025 pick, and we make both our picks in 2024 and 2025 (top 19 and then top 10), then in 2026 Montreal is getting the better pick regardless of what else happens - so 2026, if Calgary and Florida both suck, could be quite good for Montreal.

I absolutely loathe that Monahan trade. I'd much sooner have had Monahan + Florida's pick than Kadri and lose whatever pick we end up losing (or picks)

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-07-2023 at 12:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #9657
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
For Montreal to get a great pick from that deal, they really need both Florida and Calgary to stink in 2025. I believe that’s the only way they can get a really good 1st out of it.

More realistically they’ll get a mediocre 1st in 24 or 25 - whichever they prefer.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:56 PM   #9658
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

If they're still productive in their early 30's, why would we not resign them?

You don't throw away talent because they're not in their 20's. You throw away talent that brings nothing to the team. All three of them are useful players, at least right now.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #9659
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If they're still productive in their early 30's, why would we not resign them?

You don't throw away talent because they're not in their 20's. You throw away talent that brings nothing to the team. All three of them are useful players, at least right now.
Useful to what degree?

Are they going to be key pieces that help this team become a top team? So far, that answer is no.

They wouldn't be thrown away, they'd be moved for good pieces.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:11 PM   #9660
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Useful to what degree?

You need middle players - and veterans - to help get that winning team.

Here's a list of the over 30 players on the Avalanche last year:

Andrew Cogliano
Darren Helm
Jack Johnson
Erik Johnson
Darcy Kuemper
Pavel Francouz
Jayson Megna

Heck, even Nazem Kadri at 30!

You don't throw away useful players when they play a specific role and they perform that role well.

To throw players away simply because they're on the wrong side of 30 is poor team management.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: