Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #9381
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Who would you add to allow Konecny to fit under the salary cap the following season?
That is an offseason problem. It can be figured out.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #9382
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Rooney + someone from the defense.
Rooney's cap hit right now is $175K. Moving him does little.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:59 PM   #9383
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they're going to spend big on someone, I'd like to see them take a run at konecny

An early-mid 20s established forward with term left is the way to go if you are the flames and thinking about spending picks on anything right now

Otherwise I really think they're best served holding on to as many picks as possible
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:07 PM   #9384
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the flames are willing to go for a non-rental, and deal with restructuring their cap allotments in the offseason, what about a trade and extension for Larkin? Unrealistic, I know… Acquisition cost aside, likely costs moving out a hanafin & backlund/lindholm/mangiapane in the offseason.

Given his speed and ability to carry the puck, being a centre and the perfect age, I’d love it…..
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 02:11 PM   #9385
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
If they're going to spend big on someone, I'd like to see them take a run at konecny

An early-mid 20s established forward with term left is the way to go if you are the flames and thinking about spending picks on anything right now

Otherwise I really think they're best served holding on to as many picks as possible
I don't see them spending big.

I think names like JVR and Barbashev are probably what we are hearing because they won't cost a first or a top prospect and probably only cost a 2nd or 3rd.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #9386
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
If the flames are willing to go for a non-rental, and deal with restructuring their cap allotments in the offseason, what about a trade and extension for Larkin? Unrealistic, I know… Acquisition cost aside, likely costs moving out a hanafin & backlund/lindholm/mangiapane in the offseason.

Given his speed and ability to carry the puck, being a centre and the perfect age, I’d love it…..
These are the kind of moves this team needs to make. This roster needs some adjustments. It is flawed as it is constructed right now.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #9387
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Rooney's cap hit right now is $175K. Moving him does little.
They were compliant with him prior to the season starting.

Rather also not have a penalty because someone is buried in the minors.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #9388
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Management will not move Hanafin. He's too valuable. Only fan-boys move him. In like every other trade post.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 02:54 PM   #9389
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Management will not move Hanafin. He's too valuable. Only fan-boys move him. In like every other trade post.
I think it's something management seriously has to look at this summer due to his contractual situation, and the value he could hold on the trade market.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #9390
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
These are the kind of moves this team needs to make. This roster needs some adjustments. It is flawed as it is constructed right now.
Is it though?

There have been three issues: Huberdeau, Markstrom, and Finishing. Otherwise the roster construction is pretty solid.

Markstrom and Vladar should be a strong goalie tandem - but Markstrom hasn't worked.

Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Weegar, Zadorov, Kylington should be one of the best d-cores in the league - but we haven't seen it all season due to Kylington being gone and Tanev injured a lot.

Lindholm, Kadri, Backlund, and Ruzicka is great center depth. The top 3 centers especially are all producing close to the top 30 in the NHL for centers.

Huberdeau, Toffoli, Dube, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Lewis, Lucic, Ritchie is fine for winger depth and should be strong.

There is one flaw with roster construction and I think it's why they make be looking at JVR (12.1% S%), or Barbashev (17.9%).

Flames don't have enough natural finishers.

I was curious today and decided to take a look - and honestly Sutter might be right when he says this team needs to create volume to score.

Our top 18 players have all played 200 or more minutes this season, and in that time they've scored 152 goals on 1717 shots for a 8.85 shooting percentage, which is poor.

However it's not like we have a bunch of guys that are shooting below their career averages. If those same 18 players were just shooting their career averages this year the goals would only increase to 156 goals, or a 9.08% shooting percentage, which is still poor.

I am suddenly very intrigued in Barbashev though. He's a guy whose shooting for his career is great - but he's not great at generating volume and gets very little PP time.

Put him on a line that can drive play and shot volume but maybe can't finish and maybe you have something there.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-02-2023 at 03:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 03:38 PM   #9391
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Is it though?

There have been three issues: Huberdeau, Markstrom, and Finishing. Otherwise the roster construction is pretty solid.

Markstrom and Vladar should be a strong goalie tandem - but Markstrom hasn't worked.

Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Weegar, Zadorov, Kylington should be one of the best d-cores in the league - but we haven't seen it all season due to Kylington being gone and Tanev injured a lot.

Lindholm, Kadri, Backlund, and Ruzicka is great center depth. The top 3 centers especially are all producing close to the top 30 in the NHL for centers.

Huberdeau, Toffoli, Dube, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Lewis, Lucic, Ritchie is fine for winger depth and should be strong.

There is one flaw with roster construction and I think it's why they make be looking at JVR (12.1% S%), or Barbashev (17.9%).

Flames don't have enough natural finishers.

I was curious today and decided to take a look - and honestly Sutter might be right when he says this team needs to create volume to score.

Our top 18 players have all played 200 or more minutes this season, and in that time they've scored 152 goals on 1717 shots for a 8.85 shooting percentage, which is poor.

However it's not like we have a bunch of guys that are shooting below their career averages. If those same 18 players were just shooting their career averages this year the goals would only increase to 156 goals, or a 9.08% shooting percentage, which is still poor.

I am suddenly very intrigued in Barbashev though. He's a guy whose shooting for his career is great - but he's not great at generating volume and gets very little PP time.

Put him on a line that can drive play and shot volume but maybe can't finish and maybe you have something there.
what this team needs most is speed, someone who can carry and transition the puck. Some pure skill. They have enough grinders and muckers. JVR IS OLD AND SLOW. either make a hockey deal for a impactful guy or don't bother.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 03:45 PM   #9392
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
what this team needs most is speed, someone who can carry and transition the puck. Some pure skill. They have enough grinders and muckers. JVR IS OLD AND SLOW. either make a hockey deal for a impactful guy or don't bother.
I think they need speed and finishing to be honest. I wouldn't want JVR either but Barbashev might fit the bill.

It's easy to put the team's struggles on transition but that actually doesn't impact this team's ability to get zone time and generate opportunities. Some of that too is Sutter's system - nobody is cheating exiting our own zone so tough to create separation on the breakout.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #9393
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were Flames brass I'd be steering clear of making too many big changes. That's what they did last off season because they were forced to, and this season has been kind of an adjustment season.

I remember after they brought Sutter in during the COVID all Canadian season and the team still sputtered around like and old jalopy. I wanted them to blow this team to pieces and rebuild. Well they didn't and then they had their best regular season since '89. The team was really friggin good.

They'd be in a lot better shape this season too, if Markstrom wasn't completely sharting the bed.

See how the rest of the season goes, and then maybe give this group (with some small tweaks) another go at it next season. A Markstrom rebound and a more comfortable Huberdeau and all of a sudden they might winning the division again. Hell, if they get hot here they might still win the division this season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 04:34 PM   #9394
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If I were Flames brass I'd be steering clear of making too many big changes. That's what they did last off season because they were forced to, and this season has been kind of an adjustment season.

I remember after they brought Sutter in during the COVID all Canadian season and the team still sputtered around like and old jalopy. I wanted them to blow this team to pieces and rebuild. Well they didn't and then they had their best regular season since '89. The team was really friggin good.

They'd be in a lot better shape this season too, if Markstrom wasn't completely sharting the bed.

See how the rest of the season goes, and then maybe give this group (with some small tweaks) another go at it next season. A Markstrom rebound and a more comfortable Huberdeau and all of a sudden they might winning the division again. Hell, if they get hot here they might still win the division this season.
So right now we rank 31st in shooting percentage (8.81%) and 24th in save percentage (.893).

Even if we just ranked 20th in each stat that would be a 9.5% and a .900 save percentage.

That would mean 12 more goals for, and 10 fewer goals against. 22 goal swing would be pretty good for this team, and we'd still be in the bottom third of the league in shooting and save percentage.

Would be 9th in the league in goal differential and conservatively (3 fewer regulation losses, 3 fewer OT losses) even with 9 more points we'd be 5th in the league with 66 points.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-02-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:48 PM   #9395
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1621292300608356360

Thank god!
Old 02-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #9396
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I don’t get it at all but I am glad he won’t be a Flame
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #9397
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol how is that contract considered "good"

4 more years at $5.5M for a guy that has 19 points in 49 games.

Cost a 1st to get rid of Monahan that had 1 year left at $6M coming off a similar PPG. But they are going to get a return on Anderson.

Honestly I'm not taking that deal unless it's coming with 2 1sts.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #9398
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Man you can't convince me that a guy who has 19 points this year @5.5 mil for 4 more seasons after this one, has a good contract lol
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:58 PM   #9399
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No interest in Anderson either.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #9400
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'll give Dreger half marks. That contract is definitely long.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: