Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #8301
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one will give a 1st in this draft for Duclair. Just have to wait them out a bit.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:28 PM   #8302
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Sutter will be gone in 2-3 years tops we don’t need to worry about him being around when the 2023 1st is ready to go
The next 2-4 years are what matters.

This group might actually get it done in that time frame - if they don’t, they certainly won’t when Huberdeau is 34 and Kadri is 38.

Huberdeau and Weegar’s combined cap hit is $9.15M - that’s $600k less than Gaudreau on his own.

The league is fairly wide open this year - nobody except Boston is having a gang busters season, and everyone that’s teetering on the edge would rather sell for a better shot at a higher pick.

The Flames aren’t selling. And if they’re not selling, they better be buying. That’s the position they’ve put themselves in.

It makes no sense to do everything they did this summer and not swing for the fences with a deadline acquisition on the level of Patrick Kane (who I do despise as a person).
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #8303
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

This group might actually get it done in that time frame - if they don’t, they certainly won’t when Huberdeau is 34 and Kadri is 38.

Huberdeau and Weegar’s combined cap hit is $9.15M - that’s $600k less than Gaudreau on his own.

The league is fairly wide open this year - nobody except Boston is having a gang busters season, and everyone that’s teetering on the edge would rather sell for a better shot at a higher pick.

The Flames aren’t selling. And if they’re not selling, they better be buying. That’s the position they’ve put themselves in.

It makes no sense to do everything they did this summer and not swing for the fences with a deadline acquisition on the level of Patrick Kane (who I do despise as a person).
It's 10 cents, get over it!
Old 01-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #8304
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

I don’t agree with this at all. Teams who make the splashiest acquisition at the deadline rarely if ever win the cup. I don’t think this team has done anything even remotely close to showing they are worth mortgaging more of the future for. While this team didn’t have a lot of picks last year they still have a very solid prospect base where we currently have 2 former 1st rounders near the top of the AHL in scoring and a young goalie well on his way to a second straight goalie of the year award. I am not 100% convinced this team is destined to bottom out soon. Changes can happen as we saw last year where teams can be remade but in order to continue to build and be competitive they should keep and develop the players they have. If this draft is as deep as they are saying we might be able to get a very solid prospect anywhere we draft in round 1.

If the Flames are the best team in the league between now and the deadline I am more inclined to buy but the group doesn’t look like a top contender right now. Patrick Kane likely costs Coronato+1st (similar to the Tippett+1st price for Giroux). It would be different if the team could keep the rental they acquire but they won’t have that ability due to the cap
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #8305
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think we should trade for a rental as next year we may actually have a better chance assuming some prospects graduate and we get a full year of everyone playing together and OK back with the team. This team doesn't seem like a team that is really a threat to do much this year.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:48 PM   #8306
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I don't think we should trade for a rental as next year we may actually have a better chance assuming some prospects graduate and we get a full year of everyone playing together and OK back with the team. This team doesn't seem like a team that is really a threat to do much this year.
I agree. This team would need to get hot to prove they can make a run with a rental. If not they should look at an RFA or no trades.

IMO the best fit for this team is Timo Meier. If the Flames could trade Lucic they could easily add him. I know he as a big QO next year but that worked out ok for the Flames with Tkachuk. Worst case scenario is he takes the QO or we offer team arbitration and try another sign and trade deal in the summer with Meier. IMO this is the type of player that has potential to move the needle and either re-signs in the summer or we can recover some of the lost assets by trading him in the summer.

If the Flames can't move Lucic they could trade or place Kylington in LTIR on trade deadline day. That might allow them space to squeeze in Meier at the dealine without salary retained.

At this rate though, the best bet is to sell or just keep all our young assets. It's just looking more and more like a team that isn't quite there to make a cup run.
Macho0978 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:34 PM   #8307
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think the Flames will be buyers for sure at the trade deadline,

Will it be a rental, most likely...

They need more depth at defense (i.e. depending on the situation with Kylington)

They definitely need a 2nd line right winger....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:44 PM   #8308
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they will be buyers but will be buying on a budget and not spending big. I would be shocked if the 23 1st is moved for a rental. The Habs could take their 24 1st in certain scenarios due to the conditions of the Monahan deal
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 05:11 PM   #8309
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seravelli says that ekholm is available. If he goes I'm wondering about a fire sale in Nashville.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #8310
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gustav Nyquist seems like somebody the team would have interest in. Consistent half point per game player, vet. I’m guessing cost would be low. Maybe Columbus could retain a bit so they could add somebody else. Move Mangiapane up with Huberdeau/Kadri and Nyquist plays in his spot.

Or maybe Huberdeau or him can play RW.
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:10 PM   #8311
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

does Nyquist still have term on his deal?

I don't like rentals, cost more than they're worth much more often than not

I'd like to see them acquire a player with some term like they did with Toffoli, if they bring in a top 9 option

get a depth piece that can help you in your 3 year sutter "window" (in case this team happens to hit its stride next season)

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-05-2023 at 06:12 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #8312
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
does Nyquist still have term on his deal?

I don't like rentals, cost more than they're worth much more often than not

I'd like to see them acquire a player with some term like they did with Toffoli, if they bring in a top 9 option

get a depth piece that can help you in your 3 year sutter "window" (in case this team happens to hit its stride next season)
No term, 5.5 this year and thats it. Their cap situation is really bad next year if it only goes up 1 mil. They likely have to move somebody off today’s team, even with Lucic’s deal coming off the books. They don’t have space to add somebody for next year, unless they move somebody in the summer.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:16 PM   #8313
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
No term, 5.5 this year and thats it. Their cap situation is really bad next year if it only goes up 1 mil. They likely have to move somebody off today’s team, even with Lucic’s deal coming off the books. They don’t have space to add somebody for next year, unless they move somebody in the summer.
that's true. cap will be tight

luckily Zary, Pelletier and (fingers crossed) Coronato will be ready for service
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 08:05 PM   #8314
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is too bad about that QO that Meier is owed, would be an ideal fit.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 08:54 PM   #8315
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I doubt they have the cap space to fit him in next year anyway, nor can they afford the enormous cost to acquire him. Regardless of the QO.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:59 PM   #8316
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think he will have to be treated as a UFA. I can’t see anyone qualifying him at that.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:08 PM   #8317
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, of everyone discussed on this page, Meier would make the most sense. Youngish, big, plays RW, can skate, scores, power forward game, etc

Money is impossible though.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:25 PM   #8318
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still wish they grabbed Tolvanen. Would have been a decent gamble on Huberdeau’s line
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:52 PM   #8319
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I think they’ll be bringing someone in at the deadline as a rental but not a huge name. More a Toffoli type to move Lucic back down the lineup. They need a triggerman to make up for the Mangiapane ect void.

Probably not someone who would be around next season. I think Pelletier or Zary will be on the team filling that role next season.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:04 PM   #8320
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Sutter would like a good 2nd or 3rd pair LD if the Flames ready to pay to improve the team. He likes Weegar in the RD, so if we can solidify D with 2nd pair LD then with our Gs we may have chance to go couple rounds.
I think we don't have chance to get cheaper but good RW unless we trade our 1st and one of better F prospects.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote